Younger Generation

General discussion & socializing in a Lind-related vein.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

JacintoLak

Younger Generation

Post by JacintoLak »

Hi, I'm an eighteen year-old who's in high school. I just wanted to say that coming from my standpoint (as from a much younger generation) there are people from my generation who appreciate the music from the older generation (the generation of my parents). "Elusive Butterfly" is an example of one of the great songs from this older generation. It's a wonderful song and whenever I listen to it and similar songs, I wish I was part of that generation and lived in those great times of the '60s.

Thank you Mr. Lind for the song!

~A Younger Fan

P.S.: I was wondering if there were other people around my age on this message board to prove my point.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Re: Younger Generation

Post by Lind »

Thanks Young Fan. Welcome to the board.
Beat!

Post by Beat! »

Hello,

I'm 26 years old but i discovered Bob Lind when I was around 18/19 years old.
I am from The Netherlands and this kind of music never gets any airplay on dutch radio.

I read something on the internet about the "Elusive Butterfly" album, therefor I never heard of the name Bob Lind. But when I played the song for the first time I was kind of shocked. I knew this song. I asked my father (also a big music fanatic) if he knew Bob Lind. He got upstairs and 5 minuted later he showed me the single of "Elusive Butterfly". In a dutch pressing, he said it was a small hit here in Holland back then.
My favorite Lind song is "Mister Zero".

Not much later I found out that Bob Lind had a drinking session with my favorite writer Charles Bukowski.
(It's a small world :-) )

I wish I could see him perform live one day. Maybe a little European tour???

Greetings grom Holland
JacintoLak

Post by JacintoLak »

Great to know that I'm not alone! :)
Jill

Post by Jill »

Great music is great music and it doesn't matter how old or young you are. I hope you have checked out the newer songs he's written too. The masterpieces keep coming!
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

I was a teenager in the 60s, and like many others on this board I don't think there was a better time for music than the late 60s. However don't neglect later eras, because no matter what decade you pick, there is great music to be found if you can find it.

I recently bought Roy Orbison's final album, Mystery Girl, recorded just before his death in the late 80s. It's an excellent album, showing off his trademark style but with some modern (1980s) touches, with songs written by people like Elvis Costello, The Edge and Bono (of U2) and Tom Petty, as well as compositions by the man himself.

Also for listening over Christmas, I borrowed the album Intriguer, by Crowded House, from the local library.The band has been around a while, of course, but this is a fairly recent album. If anyone here is not familiar with this band (I can't believe that's possible), then you darn well should be. Even if you are, this album might surprise you, it has a few musical twists and turns that are different from anything they have done before.

Right up to the minute, my latest acquisition is Grace For Drowning, the 2011 solo album for Steven Wilson, lead singer and frontman for Porcupine Tree, who I have mentioned a few times here. Some of it is rather challenging listening, but some of the songs are just incredibly beautiful.

And then on the other hand... I entered a newspaper competition and won a copy of the Beach Boys Smile sessions (2-CD set). I'm sure you all know the history of this: recorded during 1966-67, but never signed off because of Brian's deteriorating mental state and the disputes between the different members of the band, the songs reworked and released by Brian in 2004, and now here are the originals, 44 years after their creation, and one just has to marvel at the sound quality they achieved back in 1967, and the sheer brilliance of the songs themselves. How does anyone write a song like Surf's Up?

It's been said many times before, but it's worth repeating: good music is timeless. The date of release should not enter into the discussion of the music's quality.