not even an acquaintance

General discussion & socializing in a Lind-related vein.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

Wayneapeva

not even an acquaintance

Post by Wayneapeva »

In the random impressions we leave behind with people department......

I just heard Elusive Butterfly on the Sirius 60s on 6 channel and it reminded me that around 30 years ago I bumped into Bob a few times in one of the bar/restaurants in Soho in NYC. During our brief chats, he mentioned a Broadway project called Manhattan Wall. This has been filed away in my brain for 3 decades! Am I remembering correctly?

All the best,
David
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Re: not even an acquaintance

Post by Lind »

Hey David. Good hearing from you. Welcome to the board.
I'm afraid you were taken in. Except for a few very brief vistis with my then-wife to her family, I was never in New York in the 70s/80s. I never did the Soho bar scene and I know nothing about any Broadway project.
However, I've been told there were two imposters around that time, one in New York and one in some western state, both claiming to be me. (For what reason, I cannot imagine. Certainly there are cooler people to pretend to be.)
From what I understand, the New York "Lind" was an obnoxious drunk who hit on every woman he saw, voiced his mindless opinions boisteriously to everyone within earshot, and picked passionate quarrels with total strangers over nothing.
Fortunately, he did nothing to damage my reputation because no one was worse along those lines than the real Bob Lind.
Stay close to the forum. It's good to have you with us.
Wayneapeva

Post by Wayneapeva »

HA! that's fantastic to know. I didn't mention that the guy was a bit of an obnoxious drunk---but he was. He certainly wasn't interested in hitting on me, but I guess he stayed in *character* as much as possible.

Thanks for clearing that up. The Internet really works great sometimes!
Wayneapeva

Post by Wayneapeva »

one more little tidbit if you don't mind.

I recall the *imposter* said his name was Bobby Dara Lind. Does "Dara" make any sense? In searching I haven't found it associated with your name.

Thanks. Just curious.....
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Ha Ha! What a hoot! Imagine if the real Lind bumped into the fake one, in such a setting, back then...fur would fly, is my guess...ha ha...
"Some may call it wander-lust, some may call it crazy.
I don't call it anything - I Just Let It Take Me."
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

...another (COMPLETELY UNFOUNDED) Bob Lind rumour...

When I was playing (badly) Australian Rules Football in the Maryborough District League in the '70's, I SWEAR I played against Bob Lind...this bloke was very hard to catch (i.e. "ELUSIVE"), could really soar through the air to mark (catch) the ball (i.e. "BUTTERFLY"), had a "ZERO" on the back of his jumper - and was a hot favourite with the girls in the cheer-squad: Julie, Dale Anne, Cherly, Elinor, Pamela, etc....hmmm
Darra

Post by Darra »

dssilver wrote: the *imposter* said his name was Bobby Dara Lind. Does "Dara" make any sense?
Just thought I'd chime in here as I am a 2-r Darra and I never was in NY in those days, I didn't drink back then and I'm female. And, in response to your question NO, this Darra with 2 Rs seldom makes much sense. Way back when (mid to late 60's) I did see the real Mr. Lind quite often at the Ice House in Pasadena, CA, and various other places around Southern California. :lol:

Happy New Year to all.
Susanne Gilmore

Post by Susanne Gilmore »

Sounds like the impostor couldn't make up his mind whether he was pretending to be Bobby Darin or Bob Lind.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Hmmm...there was this OTHER Bob Lind, whom I played cricket with at school...(Oh, stop it...)

Hey I might try this for a lurk - pretend to be Lind in various Aussie "watering-holes" and see if I can cadge a free beer or two - or even better - impress the girls and see where that leads me.... Ha Ha!

Now, just have to acquire the plastic surgery and get the patter right...Ha Ha! Oh, yes - and it probably help if I could sing and play guitar, also...

Really, though, despite Lind's modesty, I reckon he "got around" - but not to all the situations that have been suggested...