Jarvis Cocker/Steve Mackey compilation CD

Share favorite lyrics, swap guitar tabs and talk about the songs.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

bob_32_116

Jarvis Cocker/Steve Mackey compilation CD

Post by bob_32_116 »

The following was posted by someone on the Porcupine Tree forum in the "Other Bands and Artists" section (the colour and the bold font are mine):
the trip - created by jarvis cocker & steve mackey
Jarvis Cocker and Steve Mackey, founder members of Pulp and DJs/ record collectors/music lovers extraordinaire have said they will only ever do one mix album. Well, here it is.

CD One

1. Carl Orff - Gassenhauer
2. The Birthday Party - Release The Bats
3. Porter Wagoner - The Rubber Room
4. Psychic TV - Just Drifting
5. Dory Previn - The Lady With The Braid
6. Bob Lind - Cool Summer
7. Gene Pitney - 24 Sycamore
8. Animated Egg - Sock It My Way
9. The Beech Boys - Feel Flows
10. Bonnie Dobson - Winter's Going
11. Arlo Guthrie - Going Home
12. Bobbie Bare - Don't Think Twice
13. Alan Vega - Jukebox Babe
14. OMD - Waiting For The Man
15. The Human League - Rock N Roll
16. Lieutenant Pigeon - The Villain
17. Add N To (X) - King Wasp
18. The Fall - Lost In Music
19. Moondog - Pastoral

CD Two

1. Elton Motello - Jet Boy Jet Girl
2. The Polecats - John I'm Only Dancing
3. Electronicat - Wop Do Wop
4. Johnny Wakelin - In Zaire
5. Quixotic - Mortal Mirror
6. Jonathan Richman - Egyptian Reggae
7. Lee Hazelwood - Pour Man
8. Screaming Lord Sutch - Flashing Light
9. John Cooper Clark - Beasley Street
10. David Essex - Rock On
11. Georges De La Rue - Les Visiteurs
12. Sonny Bono - Pammies On A Bummer
13. The Everly Brothers - I Wonder If I Care As Much
14. Dion - Purple Haze
15. Neil Sedaka - Going Nowhere
16. Ronald Binge - Sailing By
35 songs, and certainly an eclectic mix of artists! The tracks in bold are the only ones I am familiar with - though I didn't know Gene Pitney did 24 Sycamore, I only knew the version by Wayne Fontana. Likewise the Bobbie Bare song - is this the same song as the Dylan one, popularised by Peter, Paul and Mary?

Quite a few of those tracks are unfamiliar tracks by familiar artists. They did manage to select one of the Beach Boys' best songs - along with a wonderful misspelling of the band name. :mrgreen:

Good to see a bit of respect for artists who have slipped out of the public eye, such as Sonny Bono and Lee Hazelwood (I think that's a misspelling also). I don't know "Cool Summer" though. What's the history of this song?
grant
Admonkeystrator

Re: Jarvis Cocker/Steve Mackey compilation CD

Post by grant »

1. The Polecats are (were) one of those Stray Cats/Hoodoo Gurus-like rockabilly bands from the mid-80s. They did a John Lennon cover?

2. Of all the Jonathan Richman songs, I wonder why that one. Good instrumental for a road trip, I guess.

3. Is it wrong for me to hope the Lind track is the same song as the one the Go-Gos did? Oh wait... that was "Cruel Summer." Oh. OH. A DJ on blip.fm just posted a link to the audio (click the little "play" in orange) with some frankly bizarre commentary over here. Monocle-wearing? REALLY?
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

OK, a search on Google reveals that Cool Summer is one of the songs on the infamous Verve album-that-dares-not-speak-its-name. That probably means Bob won't want to discuss it. :wink:

Not a bad song, I find it drags a little though. I imagine Jack Nietzche's touch would have improved it.

-----------------------------

Edit: I managed to locate a clip of the Sonny Bono track "Pammy's on a Bummer" (not "Pammie"). It's really really awful.

The funny thing is, if one makes the effort to mentally separate out the song itself from Sonny's dreadful vocals, the song itself is not that bad, and the production is quite interesting - but the singing is truly cringeworthy.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

They could have included The Everlys "Lovey Kravezit", Garden Club's "Little Girl Lost and Found", Thane Russell & Three's "Security", Trade Winds' "Mind Excursion", Jan and Dean's "Deadman's Curve", Verdelle Smith's "Tar and Cement", PPM's "Love City", Billy J Kramer's "Town of Tuxley", Norma Tanega"s "Walkin' My Cat Named Dog" - and of, course, Standells' "Martian Hop"...

..and then at least I'D be happy...!

But...DO NOT mention that that we dare not mention..(breaks off into song.."Funny thing, how we knew..."

DAMN !
"Some may call it wander-lust, some may call it crazy.
I don't call it anything - I Just Let It Take Me."
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Indeed. Of that list of Danny's I only know two - Tar and Cement, and the Norma Tanega one.

One wonders how those two compiled their list - whether they had any criteria at all, beyond wanting as disparate a collection, from as many different genres, as possible. I find it hard to imagine anyone really liking more than a small number of those tracks, enough to make it worth buying the CD. But that's the problem I have with compilation albums in general.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

[quote="bob_32_116"]OK, a search on Google reveals that Cool Summer is one of the songs on the infamous Verve album-that-dares-not-speak-its-name. That probably means Bob won't want to discuss it. :wink:

You never know, Bob32 - if you are a really good boy, maybe a copy of "The Elusive Bob Lind" in c.d. format will turn up at your door soon...(wink, nudge)
"Some may call it wander-lust, some may call it crazy.
I don't call it anything - I Just Let It Take Me."