The 2009 European Tour

Where's Bob now? Lind live shows, CD releases and media appearances.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

Lind
Declaring Lindependence

The 2009 European Tour

Post by Lind »

grant has touched on this below. But just to update and elaborate on it a little:

I want to share some exciting news for those of you – particularly you Brits -- who haven’t visited the “Gigs” page in a while: I’m coming back across the Pond this fall!
I’m still warm with the memory of my dreamlike 2007 visit -- see Jill’s post in the RAMBLING CONVERSATION section entitled “After England (From Bob’s Manager).”
Now we’re coming back, this time with a 5-show tour that includes a stop in the north, one in the south and two in the central area of the country PLUS the thrilling added bonus of a concert in Spain.
As I say, all this information is already posted on the “Gigs” page. But here’s a snapshot of the tour in a more narrative form.

Sunday, September 6; The Jumpin' Hot Club in Newcastle
I’ll be starting way up north, just below the Scotland border at this respected venue that features some of England’s best Reggae, Blues, Folk and Acoustic acts.

Thursday, Sept. 10; The Luminaire in London
Man, I can’t wait to get back to this club! It seemed as though half the city turned out to welcome me last time. I don’t think I ever felt more supported and respected than I did here. Megastars like Jarvis Cocker, Sean O’Hagan and Romeo Stoddard were there. And the great Richard Hawley joined me onstage for several songs. I’m so ready to get back and play for you again!

Sunday, Sept. 13; The End of the Road Festival in Dorset
What an honor it is to be asked to play this prestigious three-day event that runs from Friday the 11th to Sunday the 13 and features Steve Earle, Neko Case and about a zillion other quality performers. I’ll be playing on Sunday.

Wednesday, Sept. 16; Colegio de Abogados in Bilbao, Spain.
This gig just fell into our lap. The promoter learned that I was going to be “in the neighborhood” and asked if I could come over and do a concert at this college of the arts. I had no idea I had a following there. I’m really touched by their interest. I hope their English is better than my Spanish.

Sunday, Sept 20; The Hanbury Club in Brighton.
And finally, it’s all the way down to this beautiful southwestern seacoast town to play the Hanbury that features singer/songwriters from all over the world.

I can’t begin to relate my eagerness to get back there and reconnect with the many friends we made last time and to meet more of you.
Meanwhile, let me urge you loyal and dedicated Lind fans: If you know of any promotional venues – radio shows, TV shows, print media or any other way to get the word out. Please email Jill at jpguerra@aol.com and let her know about them.
Also, if you’re aware of any cut-rate but cockroach-free hotels or discount train ticket outlets, or anything else that you think might help make things smoother. Tell her about them too.
Or just post the info in this thread. We’re not ashamed to admit we’re not familiar with some of these areas; you are. So please inform us about anything that might make the travel/accommodations aspect of the tour go easier.
To quote the great Sid Wayne and Sherman Edwards (via Shelley Fabares and The Tempos), “See you in September.”
rob68

Re: The 2009 European Tour

Post by rob68 »

Oh wow, I'm kinda surprised.....another England tour before any type of full-fledged U.S. tour. Robert, you are flat-out ignoring thy homeland! :D

Anyway, best of luck overseas.....again.
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

rob68 wrote:Oh wow, I'm kinda surprised.....another England tour before any type of full-fledged U.S. tour. Robert, you are flat-out ignoring thy homeland! :D
Consider yourself lucky Rob, there are countries I could name where Bob Lind has NEVER played.... grumble grumble....
John Duncan

Post by John Duncan »

The following is on the 'Wegottickets' website advertising Bob's gig at the Hanbury Club in Brighton. Is this true Bob?
Now he returns, for a festival date and a return to the Luminaire - and Bob has agreed to play a Brighton date.
What's more, he willl be recording these dates for a new Live Album.
Come and be part of that recording and catch a legend on top form.
grant
Admonkeystrator

Post by grant »

Yes, this is a true truth!

You can be part of history....
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Thanks John Duncan and the rest of you who have been emaling me about this.
I hadn't seen the blurb on "WGTs." I don't know how this news gets out so fast. But let me just add a footnote to put it in perspective.
It is true, we're going to be recording some of the European shows. But whether we'll be releasing them is far from certain. It's very iffy and conditional. So much depends upon how the audio/mastering/mixing goes, how "on it" I am and how inclined I'll be to release another live CD.
I appreciate the interest and the excitement. But I don't want anyone dropping this particular chicken into the "hatched" category until we hear what we've got.

That said, do come out to hear me. There's something magical about the other side of The Pond. I can't wait to get at you.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Lay it on 'em, Bob...
"Some may call it wander-lust, some may call it crazy.
I don't call it anything - I Just Let It Take Me."
Daniel H

Post by Daniel H »

Since I am stuck on this side of the Pond, and too old to swim across it, I am hoping that the chicken will indeed hatch, and a new a live CD born. There are a lot of new songs which are not on the Luna Star Cafe, so there is no dearth of fresh material. Have a great trip Bob.
You'll catch a fleeting glimpse of someone's fading shadow...
grant
Admonkeystrator

Post by grant »

Here's the poster from Bilbao....
BOBLIND-CARTEL 2.JPG
BOBLIND-CARTEL 2.JPG (66.7 KiB) Viewed 23060 times
Does this mean they've already picked out Lind's stage attire?
John Duncan

Post by John Duncan »

Not sure about those gloves for finger picking.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Hmm...and it doesn't look like "a symbol of an artificial rose" draped over the gee-tar...
Maddo

Post by Maddo »

"Hanky Panky Presenta" ..Really !
Mr Lind, behave yourself and watch out for them lawyers...love to hear your magic vocals in Espanol.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

"I was reading about this musician, he was peerless out in Spain, like very few of this class he sang and played..."
grant
Admonkeystrator

Post by grant »

A review of the Newcastle gig:
Bob Lind
Jumpin Hot Club @ The Studio, Live Theatre 06/09/09

It was the turn of 1960’s American singer-songwriter Bob Lind to come to town on Sunday, and though older than when in 1966 he gained his big break through writing Elusive Butterfly his enthusiasm and love to entertain is stronger than it has ever been.

Lind’s vocals and music may be more gentle and middle of the road, Hollywood –styled even opposed that of today’s angst-filled, redemption yearning and down at heel alt-country and skid row singer-songwriters. But with an artful polish and poetic beauty his finely crafted lyrics possessed an engaging quality that captivated the audience.
Brought up during the time of folk pop and when you had folk singing groups by the score Bob Lind has pretty much seen it all. With everyone from Cher to Aretha Franklin by way of Richie Havens, Eric Burton and The Four-Tops and a couple of hundred others having covered his work he isn’t short of admirers as a songwriter.

From the playing of his acoustic guitar to the jokes, songs and casual attire Lind was professional as you would expect, plus there was a sense he is still aiming at a higher level of excellence. With the show being recorded and Lind keen to relate to the audience his performance was more dynamic than anticipated. Most certainly that was the case with ‘Gravity Of The World’ that had him in part sing a cappella fashion as an impetus was built.
Mixed with his songs Lind both spoke of acts who he had met and covered his songs and how he is becoming to enjoy coming over to the UK and bringing some of his ‘children’ (songs) with him. Topping the list apart the one he and others have enjoyed great chart success, ‘Elusive Butterfly’ we also had ‘The Wedding Waltz’, and particular favourites ‘Roll The Window Down’ and a song Havens did, ‘How The Nights Can Fly? Bob also gave Tom Paxton’s ‘Bottle Of Wine’ a toned down treatment as he aired some of his artful innovative flare and the audience thought it worked great.
Giving Bob the thumbs up and hoping this won’t the one and only time he sets foot on stage in the area.

Local singer-songwriter folk bard Jack Burness opened for Lind and was in good form. Winning over the audience with the likes of old favourite ‘Up And Down The A1’ and ‘Old Town’ before giving us the moving account of ‘Ghost Story’ and with Lind waiting in the wings and keen to get going it was soon his turn to place a few classy touches as in song he took us back through a time when America and it’s population or so the pictures shown on TV hinted were full of innocence. Although today, in music and life in general there is both a greater freedom of expression, it was nice to hear (and share) Lind’s relaxed approach to music and view on the world back then.

Maurice Hope
Attachments
Bob-Newcastle_.jpg
Bob-Newcastle_.jpg (20.35 KiB) Viewed 22975 times
grant
Admonkeystrator

Lind at the Luminaire

Post by grant »

Image Image

Photos by Patti Dahlstrom.