The new Lind album

Share favorite lyrics, swap guitar tabs and talk about the songs.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

Susanne Gilmore

Re: The new Lind album

Post by Susanne Gilmore »

Peter Allen's "Somebody's Angel" is a good choice. I remember you saying how much you liked it 'way back in the Bla Bla days, and since I had (still have) that album, I thought you had (still have) excellent taste!
I'll bet your Aussie fans will be surprised to have a representative from down under included in the new cd.
John Duncan

Post by John Duncan »

Thanks for the playlist Bob and look forward to buying the album.
One notable exception to the list is " Roll the windows down. "
Great shame it's missing as its such a great song and show opener.
How about a bonus track?
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Despite the fact that Peter Allen is (was) a fellow Aussie I must admit I don't know this song. As a matter of fact the only songs of his that I am familiar with are I Go to Rio, Tenterfield Saddler and I Still Call Australia Home, which is not a bad song but has of course been flogged to death in this country. Looking forward to hearing what Somebody's Angel sounds like - as well as the rest of the new album,of course.

It so happens there is yet another Peter Allen tribute show doing the rounds at the moment. Those songs certainly seem to have legs.

I wonder if Bob is familiar with Paul Kelly, and if he has ever thought of covering one of Kelly's songs? Some are quite removed from the usual Lind style and might not work well, but some of Kelly's more folky songs like Everything's Turning To White would not sound totally wrong coming from Bob's mouth. A problem of course is that Kelly is unashamedly Australian and many of his lyrics contains specific Australian references, so it would sound a bit strange for them to be sung by an American.
Last edited by bob_32_116 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Lind wrote:Oh and for the people who are disappointed that "BofW" didn't make it onto the album, here's me doing it at McCabe's during the last tour.
The sound is not great, but I think the feeling comes through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX73RgVe9rE
This is a great version of the song, and I think the sound quality is fine, certainly for a live recording.

I confess that I wasn't really expecting to be blown away by Bob's cover of this particular song. When I read descriptions saying that it was completely different to most renditions of the song, I thought "OK, he's slowed it right down and given it a mournful bluesy feel as though he's about to go to sleep on a park bench and would just as soon not wake up in the morning". I should have known better. This has to belong in my (rather short) list of song covers that I like better than the originals.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

can't wait - great selection!!!

Some I really love, there may be others I'd have preferred...but..you can't have a 40 track c.d. folks, at a reasonable price...!

Keen to hear JH production - and to hear Grant B. playing Jack Nitsche to Jaimie's Phil Spector...(ha ha!)

Cashbox Top 40 with a bullet, methinks...
"Some may call it wander-lust, some may call it crazy.
I don't call it anything - I Just Let It Take Me."
Jill

Post by Jill »

I am so excited to share that FINDING YOU AGAIN started out as number 18 on Amazon's Hot New Releases for singer/songwriters. This is all in pre-release! It changes hourly and is now listed at number 22. Amazon is absolutely right, it is a super hot release! You can check it out here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/new-releases/music/67176#2
rob68

Post by rob68 »

Did the release get pushed back for some reason?

Amazon UK was saying September 24th....now says October 1st.

Most USA sites now say October 9th.
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Thanks for the heads up Rob. I don't get it. But you're right. I looked and Amazon U.K. DOES now list the release date as the first. Stand by. We've heard nothing about a change of date but Jill will look into this and post here wiht the news.
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Up to No. 5 on the latest Amazon singer/songwriter chart! Be interesting to see whether it enters the main pop chart.

Who is this Bob Dylan person anyway?

Amazon says release date is October 9.
Susanne Gilmore

Post by Susanne Gilmore »

Wow! Number 5 and ahead of Arlo Guthrie, Richard Thompson, Randy Newman and Carole King! Looks like Bob's gonna have a hit on his hands and we can all say we knew him when ...
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Well deserved recognition, I say...but, then, you'd expect me to say that...
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Incidentally, who designed the rather charming cover art? At first sight it looks like a silhouette of an eagle flying - it takes a second look to realise that it's a pair of clasped hands.

Or perhaps it's a shadow of a butterfly... :wink:
Jill

Post by Jill »

Hi All,

Yes, the release date has been pushed back to October 1st because of the amazing number of preorders. I know we are all anxious to get it in our hot little hands, but it's well worth the wait!
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Down to No. 9 last time I checked. Still, peaking at No. 5 is not bad for something not released yet. Who are these people pre-ordering it I wonder? The members of this forum can oinly account for a very small fraction.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

sometimes exquisite taste is a long time learned, Bob Numbers...

It just took the rest of the world a little later to catch on...