Is it a bootleg?

General discussion & socializing in a Lind-related vein.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

Danielpib

Is it a bootleg?

Post by Danielpib »

I was burglarized while I was out of town, and I worried about my vinyl, since I haven't gotten it all digitized. The burglars had very poor taste in music, because they did not steal my music, but I just spent a while digitizing "Don't Be Concerned" and "Photographs of Feelings" from my 40-odd year old vinyl, and it took a certain amount of audio magic to get rid of the rice crispies (snap, crackle, pop). I have several different pieces of audio correcting software, and it's fun to play with the songs to see which software can be manipulated to get the best sound. A side effect is getting to listen to the same songs several times, which I understand the artists themselves would probably never understand. (How could someone listen to the same song time and again when there's so much music in the world? Don't ask me, but I do sometimes: music is addictive.) Just as I finished, I thought, oh Lord, they've probably been on cd all this time and I've wasted a couple of hours (fun, though), so I looked on my friend Amazon. The first cd compilation I found was at http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Collecti ... 542&sr=1-4 on the "Black Tulips" label. I love to peruse Amazon comments, so I looked, and the first comment stated, "Bob Lind's own web site reported this is an unauthorized CD bootleg." Naturally, I looked for the website and found it here. I could not find any reports here, but perhaps your search is not functioning right. I could not find "unauthorized" or "bootleg." From that reviewer's comments, it sounds like a bootleg, though, and I am hoping to find some kind of "official" comment somewhere. I firmly believe that artists deserve to be paid for their work, and I cannot help but wonder why you don't contact Amazon, since they do not knowingly permit such merchandise. It must be unnerving though to realize that there are people who love Bob Lind music enough to want to buy it still, yet, being mindless, they do so in a manner that does not benefit the artist--even though there is a real cd compilation listed, which is linked to from this website, and which I presume gives Mr. Lind fifty cents or a dollar per cd sold,
Jill

Re: Is it a bootleg?

Post by Jill »

Yes, it is a bootleg. Thank you for looking a little deeper. We've been trying to make that album go away for a few years now. It's been a while since we had any discussions on the message board about it so that's probably why you couldn't find any information here. Have you checked out Bob's new music? Bob Lind Live at the Luna Star Cafe CD or the documentary/concert DVD Bob Lind Perspective are both available here on the merch page.
bob_32_116

Re: Is it a bootleg?

Post by bob_32_116 »

There was discussion about this Black Tulip bootleg on this board some time ago. That may have been before the big crash a few years ago, when all the past postings on the board were lost, so that would explain why you don't see the reference here.

For legitimate CD recordings of the songs, I would recommend You Might Have Heard My Footsteps - The Best of Bob Lind, which has all the tracks on those two albums plus three others. I believe that's now out of print, though, so i may be hard to find. The Complete Jack Nitzsche Sessions is almost the same track listing, but sadly it does not have It's Just My Love, one of Bob's best songs.