The 2009 European Tour

Where's Bob now? Lind live shows, CD releases and media appearances.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

John Duncan

Re: The 2009 European Tour

Post by John Duncan »

Saw Bob at The Hanbury Club in Brighton last night and he asked me to make a post for you.
The Hanbury is the sort of club you expect to find Bertie Wooster in, propped up at the bar with a cocktail and perusing the world through a monocle. Very Art Nouveau. Basically black interior with mirrors along most of the walls, black table cloths, black chairs all under a domed frescoed ceiling. A very small intimate venue, holding about 60 people. The well appointed dressing room above and behind the bar with a picture window overlooking the stage at the far end of the room. The lights from the Brighton Pier were peering through the early Autumn mist as Bob prepared to entertain the good people of Brighton.
And he did not disappoint.
He began with ' Roll the Windows ' down, followed directly with ' Gravity of the World ' and Tom Paxton's ' Bottle of Wine.'
' Wearing You ' followed and then the classic ' Cheryl's Goin' Home ' with a glowing reference to John Otway's version
This was followed by ' Exeter ( The Wedding Waltz)' and ' Maybe it's the Rain '
Then a new one on me the excellent ' Taking the Gamble Tonight '
Bob introduced the next song as one that he was really happy with at the moment. He was still wearing the wrist band from The End of the Road Festival and told us how Richard Hawley and Jarvis Cocker had joined him on stage there to sing ' Drifter's Sunrise '
After a magical version of ' Let it Go ' Bob eased into ' The Saints had it Easy.' I have to confess this had not been a favourite of mine but I have been well and truly converted after this rendition.
' Perspective ' then followed. This song is so good but I don't have to tell you that.
He then dedicated ' Someone to Adore ' to the enthusiastic audience. I noted some new lyrics to this one from the last time I heard it and he concluded with ' Butterfly '
Needless to say he was not going anywhere until he had done an encore.
He closed the session with ' How the Nights can Fly ' and a request from the audience ' Spilling Over.'
I asked the guy who was sharing the table with me what he thought of the show. He said he " felt quite emotional as it seemed that Bob could have been singing just for him in his own living room as the venue was so small."
The promoter Paul Adsett took the stage to conclude but was really too emotional to say much. It was one of those unforgetable evenings.
Thank you Bob and to Paul for organising the event.
Daniel H

Post by Daniel H »

Bob, first I want to welcome you back to the States. Delighted to hear the tour was so successful. Second, I'm curious to know if it was successful enough that you has any insight yet into whether a new CD is likely to come out of it. I know it's probably too early for you have to decided anything--I was just wondering if you are leaning in any particular direction yet. I know I speak for all of us here when I say if a new album is the making, we are all ears.
You'll catch a fleeting glimpse of someone's fading shadow...
grant
Admonkeystrator

Post by grant »

Here's some maddeningly short video of Bob playing his classic "Drifter's Sunrise" before 2,500 people at the END OF THE ROAD FESTIVAL. Legendary British artists Jarvis Cocker and Richard Hawley joined him onstage for this and two other songs.
Some of you Americans may not be aware of Richard's and Jarvis's work, but they're megastars in the U.K. They're big Bob Lind fans and they've given his career a giant boost by singing his praises on that side of the pond.

There may be more video available later, but for now, this will give you a sense of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGKjvSx6xck
grant
Admonkeystrator

Post by grant »

Lind with Cocker & Hawley.

from Murray Jarvis' Flickr collection.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Thanks Grant - the man's on song, as per usual...
"Some may call it wander-lust, some may call it crazy.
I don't call it anything - I Just Let It Take Me."
grant
Admonkeystrator

Post by grant »

And here's some more...

from Nick Hilder's Flickr page
John Duncan

Post by John Duncan »

The Bob Lind poster for the Hanbury Club in Brighton.
John Duncan

Post by John Duncan »

Bob at the Hanbury Club.
Martin Roberts

Post by Martin Roberts »

I saw one of the gigs, I've read some reviews, seen the photos and the video, even met Bob a few times but now he's home...Come on Bob, how was the tour for you? The frozen north, the London fogs, the straw chomping yokels of Dorset, the matadors of Bilbao and the shapes and sizes on the nudist beach at Brighton, have fun? Coming back again? Do tell.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Hey Martin:- Sounds like SOME tour (ha ha)...
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

So, Martin...tell me..(as I'm yet to attend a Lind concert - Downunder, y'know)...what's a "typical" Lind show feature?

Is there a mix of his studio album tracks - i.e. does Bob include some from his first World Pacific set, "Circles", any unreleased/lost stuff, - no doubt the demos feature - e.g. "Gravity", "Let It Go", "Perspective", China" ???

I know we'll drag him kicking and screaming to these shores one day, and personally I hope the sets include: "I Just Let It Take Me", "China", "Gravity", "She Can Get Along", "Theme From The Music-Box", "How The Nights Can Fly", "Love The Way You Lie", "Somewhere In This City", "A Nameless Request", "Cheryl's Goin' Home", "Spilling Over" and "We've Never Spoken"...and, though it's a long shot - "Like The Night".
bob_32_116

the Butterfly Effect

Post by bob_32_116 »

With reference to the poster for that show, I see the butterfly image again. It's understandable I suppose that it would be used for promotion as it's Bob's best-known song and possibly still his best, but I wonder if Bob ever gets irritated by the constant reference, as though it was his only song?
Martin Roberts

Post by Martin Roberts »

Hi Danny,
"What's a typical Lind Show..." I've seen a couple and there not to be missed!
Have a look through the forum, my memory's like a sieve but John Duncan did write a very good review of Bob's Brighton show and there are older reviews to be found.
Fingers crossed the sound quality of Bob's European tour is good enough for a live CD and if you close your eyes you can imagine you're there!
grant
Admonkeystrator

Post by grant »

From photographer Egiluz Beramendi, here are two views of Bilbao:
00Bob_Lind_03.JPG
00Bob_Lind_03.JPG (39.93 KiB) Viewed 19260 times
00Bob_Lind_09.JPG
00Bob_Lind_09.JPG (87.33 KiB) Viewed 19260 times