Elusive Butterfly (complete lyrics)

Share favorite lyrics, swap guitar tabs and talk about the songs.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

rob68

Elusive Butterfly (complete lyrics)

Post by rob68 »

Another fan requested these from me, but instead of typing them all out for just one person, I figured I'd post them here. Some of you likely remember that Bob originally posted them on the old message board.

THE BRIGHT ELUSIVE BUTTERFLY OF LOVE - Bob Lind

You might wake up some morning
To the sound of something moving past your window in the wind
And if you're quick enough to rise, you'll catch the fleeting glimpse of someone's fading shadow
Out on the new horizon, you may see the floating motion of a distant pair of wings
And if the sleep has left your ears, you might hear footsteps running through an open meadow

(chorus)
Don't be concerned, it will not harm you
It's only me pursuing something I'm not sure of
Across my dreams, with nets of wonder
I chase the bright elusive butterfly of love

My name is not worth knowing, it's enough to know I'm just a willing slave to something free
You might have seen me once or twice between the walls of grown-up tears and children's laughter
You might have seen me running through the long abandoned ruins of someone you used to be
And if you've felt the brief caress of wings that fluttered past with something running after

(chorus)

You might have heard my footsteps echo softly in the distance through the canyons of your mind
I might have even called your name as I ran searching after something to believe in
Though it's too late for changing, someday you might look back exploring times you left behind
If you remember something there that glided past you followed close by heavy breathing

(chorus)

The morning sun is nodding to the prisoner underneath whose restless questions are his bars
And all the clouds between the two look down bewildered as to what he blindly follows
You might have stood in silence, and heard symphonies of wandering and wondered whose they are
They're compositions of a madman trying hard to fill the part of him that's hollow

(chorus)

The open eyes of evening watch the penny-ante festival of fools below the moon
The clumsy joker tries in vain to catch the prize before a thousand laughing princes
The night gives way to morning, and returns to bring the darkness on the heels of afternoon
But if the night should bring the feeling of a distant game of tag upon your senses...

(chorus)
Last edited by rob68 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Thanks Rob. Had printed it out before but couldn't find it.

Libby
Last edited by Elizabeth on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joey McGowan

Post by Joey McGowan »

I had always Wondered if a Vintage Version of the Original Complete
Song Exists. It was, of Course, a wise decision to Edit it as a Recorded
Single, but this Masterpiece was essentially cut in Half.

I know Procul Harum's Classic " Whiter Shade of Pale" had a Similar
Fate Yet the Band would Often perform a Longer Version in Concert.

I Wonder if Bob ever has Himself, or would Consider Recording a
Full " Elusive Butterfly" for us Fans.
Joey,
Last edited by Joey McGowan on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob68

Post by rob68 »

Joey McGowan wrote:I had always Wondered if a Vintage Version of the Original Complete
Song Exists.
Bob has performed the full version live in concert years ago.
Last edited by rob68 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Sorry Joey. I appreciate the kind words -- from all of you, actually (Libby and Rob). But I've retired the long version. I wrote it when I was 20 and full of sap and blarney. I fought Jack tooth and nail to record the long version for the record.
He refused to indulge me and he was right. Looking at it now, it feels fat at that length. I think the edit served it.
If someone else wants to record the marathon version, he/she is welcome to it. I don't have any dictatorial mandates about it.

But it won't be me.
Last edited by Lind on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

:roll: please, nobody tell Val Doonican, I beg you...
Last edited by Danny Harris on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
donna

Never "Elusive" to me.....

Post by donna »

Hello Bob.....
I so enjoy reading about "Elusive Butterfly's"..effect on all....
It simply is a matter of composing the right melody, with the most intriging, captivating words...that has enchanted me since I first heard it when I was 10..back in 65....What a gift you gave us...Each time I play it, It's just like the first!...
I would so love to know your inspiration for writing such a "Beautiful", song...I truly feel, to write about Love...with such feeling...One .goes through more than just words could ever tell...
That Is really the magic in it....
Donna

[/b]
Last edited by donna on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Welcome to the board, Donna. It's great to have you with us. Thank you for the inspiring and clearly heartfelt words about "Butterfly." I'll tell you what I tell all the newbees who come here on the strength of that record.
I'm delighted that you enjoy it, but hope you've heard my newer songs too.
In case you haven't, I hope you'll check out the video clips and demos available on the "Press Kit" link on the welcome page.

And of course how can I not mention the Live CD which, to my delight, continues to sell well from this web site.

Please stay close to the board. We enjoy hearing from you.
Last edited by Lind on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason

Elusive Butterfly

Post by Jason »

Hi,

I'm another poster who would like to state that the song "Elusive Butterfly" is one of the most beautiful songs ever written...I've heard covers of the song by Florence Henderson and Petula Clark (and they are beautiful), but Mr. Lind's interpretation is, of course, the definitive version. I'd like to know how he summed up in so few words the feeling I've had about a certain girl, who, is unfortunately for me, married....

Again, thank you for this song...it was sent to you as a miracle, to continue to delight people througout the world.
Last edited by Jason on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

I actually agree with Bob (the other Bob) about the song's length. Two verses is just dandy, three would have been fine, more than that would have been overlong unless there was some kind of a bridge. It would have been too Dylanesque.

This is what annoys me about Bob Dylan; he writes good music and great lyrics, but he does not know when enough's enough. Dylan's best songs are his shortest, in my opinion.
Last edited by bob_32_116 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

...like "Wigwam", for instance ?
Last edited by Danny Harris on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Danny Harris wrote:...like "Wigwam", for instance ?
That's naughty! :D

No, he doesn't have a great voice or singing style, but some of his vocal efforts are OK - Lay Lady Lay is a fine song for example... Knocking on Heaven's Door is another...

but I don't care if I never hear Hurricane again as long as I live. It's a story that needed to be told, and it was great of him to write and record it, but it just goes on... and on... and on... and on....
Last edited by bob_32_116 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

My favourite Dylan song is "Up to me".
Last edited by Danny Harris on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
royb404

Post by royb404 »

Dylan- "My Back Pages" is a song that not only paints a picture but makes you remember/wonder.
Bob's song do just that and paint a vision in the mind and soul very few "Tunes" do.
Bob and Jimmy are my fave writers ever.
Last edited by royb404 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel H

Post by Daniel H »

I think the shorter version of Butterfly is vastly superior to the longer, not just because it is more compact, but because it combines exactly the right words which give the song its singleness of effect. The long rendition would still have been resonant and interesting, but it's magic would have been diluted. And while I agree with Jason that the song is about frustrated romantic yearnings, I think that on a deeper level it is about searching for the source behind longings more profound than that, a quest for something the singer says "I'm not sure of".

My favorite Dylan song, "Like a Rolling Stone", strikes me as being the opposite. It's impact is greater because of its length. I enjoy every word, and each stanza reinforces the others, adding to the song's clarity. That is how it affects me, anyway.
Last edited by Daniel H on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You'll catch a fleeting glimpse of someone's fading shadow...