Songs that blew you away

General discussion & socializing in a Lind-related vein.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

Daniel H

Post by Daniel H »

Oh yeah? Oh yeah? Well, a butterfly can kick a housefly's ass any day of the week. Ha ha.
Last edited by Daniel H on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You'll catch a fleeting glimpse of someone's fading shadow...
rob68

Post by rob68 »

Just wanted to say that the entire new Alison Krauss/Robert Plant duet CD is blowing me away....and I have no other music by either artist, but this thing is fantastic. Been playing it practically nonstop since it came out on the 23rd. Incredible stuff. Plant's versions of Gene Clark's 'Polly' and Townes Van Zandt's 'Nothin' are sublime. Alison does some amazing stuff as well.....'Trampled Rose' & 'Let Your Loss Be Your Lesson'. Not a wasted note here. Great album. Wish I was driving through the Smoky Mountains listening to it....
Last edited by rob68 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
Susanne Gilmore

Post by Susanne Gilmore »

I just bought the Krauss/Plant cd tonight. I probably won't get a chance to give it a listen until tomorrow when I'm stuck in Los Angeles traffic and wishing that I was driving through the Smoky Mountains instead.
Last edited by Susanne Gilmore on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theokie

Post by Theokie »

A song that I can currently play any number of times a day is 'Small Room' by Elliott Murphy. EM is an American born singer/songwriter who is very popular in Germany and France and indeed most of Europe.

This particular song is about an artist, his female model and her violent boyfriend. I love the way the first lines of the song also bookend it after the story has been told. I have most of his albums, dating back to the mid seventies.
Last edited by Theokie on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel H

Post by Daniel H »

Three songs I wish I had thought of when I wrote my list are:

Dream On--Aerosmith
Don't Fear the Reaper--Blue Oyster Cult
Time Has Come Today--Chambers Brothers

Time has Come Today has a hypnotic quality which I found very compelling the first time I heard it--I felt like I was being sucked into a whirlpool. It is one of the few songs which remind me of precisely of where I was when I first heard it. I lived in Stamford, Connecticut then, which was also the home of Brian Keenan, the band's drummer.
Last edited by Daniel H on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You'll catch a fleeting glimpse of someone's fading shadow...
buffalo

Re: Songs that blew you away

Post by buffalo »

Great topic. I have called these universal or transcendent songs, and posted a comment on what this category of song means to me on another forum topic, "elusive butterfly". Anyway, here is my list:

Gentle on my mind - John Hartford
Don Quixote- Gordon Lightfoot
Both sides now - Joni Mitchell
City of New Orleans - Steve Goodman
Chimes of freedom - Bob Dylan
Diamonds and rust - Joan Baez
Elusive butterfly - Bob Lind
Sunday Morning Coming Down - Kris Kristofferson
Last edited by buffalo on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Caught the movie "The Boat That Rocked" the other day...

Ah, as they say..."the current generation may have the toys, but we have the music..."
Last edited by Danny Harris on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some may call it wander-lust, some may call it crazy.
I don't call it anything - I Just Let It Take Me."
Marinasqf

Post by Marinasqf »

I wanted to reply that is a great list . My top 5 Lind songs are Truly Julie Blues, Elusive Butterfly, Dale Ann, Spilling Over and Remember the Rain. I would like to know if Bob ever would consider coming to Gulf Shores Alabama for a concert ?