From Jill: Bob at SxSW

General discussion & socializing in a Lind-related vein.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

Jill

From Jill: Bob at SxSW

Post by Jill »

We've gotten a lot of e-mails from fans and friends wanting to hear about Bob's show last week at South by Southwest.
If you haven't been to the festival, it's almost impossible to describe the enormity of it. Austin is a music town and there were 1,700 groups showcasing, all within a tiny six-or-seven square-block area. Fans from all over the world come to hear both traditional and cutting edge music. We were delighted to be there.
Bob did his usual killer show and gave the audience what they continue to expect from him -- a passionate, touching performance that left everyone wanting more.
He played at midnight (the absolute prime time at SxSW) on the Hilton Gardens 18th Floor. At first, we were disappointed that the room was not as full as we'd hoped (71 people in a room that holds 200). But our spirits quickly started to soar when we consulted the schedule and realized that there were a staggering 75 acts opposite him in the other venues -- seventy-five headliners playing the coveted 12 a.m. slot, including REM, Alex Khoury and Austin's own Black Angels.
We were particularly happy to see so many young faces there -- people in their 20s and 30s who had passed on the harder-edged indie acts to hear Bob, aware of the contribution he's made and continues to make to music. And best of all, they weren't sitting there with arms folded in an attitude of polite respect. They were feeling his songs -- deep down in their hearts.
One young 20-something woman confided to me, "I'd never heard of Bob Lind. I just came with friends. But I'm a fan now!"
We were also delighted to have some important members of the press there. The two short-but-glowing reviews below are from Billboard and The Irish Times.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3076/234 ... 3c39_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2372/234 ... 4595_o.jpg

There may be some reviews we missed. If any of you know of any, we'd appreciate hearing about them. Please feel free to post them to this thread so we can all read them.
-- Jill, Bob's manager