My friend Eddie Lawing is writing again

General discussion & socializing in a Lind-related vein.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

star

My friend Eddie Lawing is writing again

Post by star »

Hello Bob,

Remember me? Here is the latest from your "fan in North Carolina." Enjoy! Eddie really loves hearing from you. If anything could ever get him interested in getting into computers, it seems like it would be you, with his desire for contact. Oh well, we'll see. Maybe someday. :)

Dear Bob,

Once again from your old fan in North Carolina. I hope you are doing great and still performing that great music. I am still enjoying the "Lunar Star" CD. If I would email you more you might remember me. I am the guy who played with many of the country artists of the sixties and seventies, especially George Hamilton IV whom you remembered also. I still keep in contact with him and have told him about getting emails from you. You would be surprised how many country artists liked your music in the sixties. I even played "I just let it take me" for Chet Adkins. Chet liked it but thought it was not country enough for George. I disagreed with him. This past March I met an artist that I learned most of my bass runs from. Nokie Edwards (The Ventures) told me some great stories and also how the Ventures sold 20 million records in China and never received one cent. I hope you have been able to get all your royalties. One North Carolina artist I know, Maurice Williams (Stay 1960) told me how he was screwed out of 7 cents of every dime he was supposed to get. When he went on American Bandstand he had to sign his travel and expense check back to the producer before they let him perform.

I had a very nice surprise at Barnes and Noble. They are carrying "Since there were circles" and the ultimate collection. I enjoyed the bonus tracks on "Circles." Marlene should have been on the original album. I read you hated the elusive album. The three songs you wrote were very good. "Black Night" is still one of my favorites. The Circles album and "Bob Lind the Jack Nitzsche sessions" are featured in Collector's Choice magazine this month. The Rediscover Music magazine is featuring "The Elusive Butterfly" album and claim to have unreleased guitar and vocal demos.

I can't help but notice that all these albums are imported. I enjoy seeing all these albums coming out but I wish a major American label would see the light and release some of your "new stuff."

I hope you are still doing live shows. It would be great to see you perform. I talked to Craig Gates who books most of the places where artists perform in my area. He has hired me several times to back up artists he has booked. He uses mostly country, blue grass and beach music acts. He did bring in Gordon Lightfoot and Joni Mitchell this spring to UNC. Unfortunately he lost money on both. I am still keeping up the pressure on him.

Bob, I wanted to tell you that I appreciate it when you take time to email me back. My friend Keith (starduster) who sends my emails for me, keeps telling me I need to get with the 21st century. He is right, but I still prefer telephone or face to face.

If you do another "live" CD, I hope you will do "Drifter's Sunrise." It is still my favorite. I would like to hear the "unedited" version.

One last thing. Goldmine Magazine is the mag for record collectors and has articles on artists who have made their mark. Every month they have 15 questions about artists, record companies and dates. They have one final question. If you answer this one and send it in first, you are considered a "pop quiz master." The question for this month is this: What singer who had a top ten single in the sixties later spent time as a writer for the Weekly World News? I will let you know if I win.

Still your fan in North Carolina,
Eddie Lawing