Unlock The Door...

Share favorite lyrics, swap guitar tabs and talk about the songs.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

Danny Harris

Unlock The Door...

Post by Danny Harris »

"Oh, lower down your passion ropes and lift me off the ground..." -
can anyone beat this for a Bob Lind lyric...?
Last edited by Danny Harris on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maddo

Beat that lyric.

Post by Maddo »

"We don't have time tomorrow to buy a ticket back to now". Wish I'd understood that in the 60's.
Maddo
Last edited by Maddo on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
royb404

Post by royb404 »

EVERY line in "Counting"!!!
Last edited by royb404 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Duncan

Post by John Duncan »

What about the new stuff.

What if you leave me
These bolts will hold this chair in place
This soft and silky pillow case
Will yield the imprint of your face
Eventually

Sublime. Had not realised all the lyrics for latest downloads were available on site. Thanks Bob.
Last edited by John Duncan on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

...& these words keep running through my brain over and over again...

"...the shrinking sky has poisened all my birds
...strangers killing children with their guns and bombs and planes -
...lovers killing love with careless words...

"China".
Last edited by Danny Harris on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel H

Post by Daniel H »

As soon as I heard Bob's new songs it was apparent that the lyrics were much more mature and resonant than the ones in his older material. They really do fasten themselves to your mind and make you wonder how so much power can be compressed into so few words. Look at how mature love is described in "From the Road"; let the lyrics of "Sophia's Lullaby" sink in if you ever forget the significance of saving even one life. It's hard at times (in a good way) to even listen to some of these. They wake you up too much!
Last edited by Daniel H on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You'll catch a fleeting glimpse of someone's fading shadow...
Danny Harris

Re: Unlock The Door...

Post by Danny Harris »

I hesitate to mention this, but...

Lind has advised us that he struggled with some demons during the 60's/'70's...i.g. substance and alcohol abuse/misuse...

I wonder if his declared 'sober' life-style now is a factor in a 'different' writing/performing mode, or if it is due to his natural progression through life, years, experiences, relationships, and so on...?

What I mean is...(me being a naive old bloke who loves a beer but has never even sniffed a 'cone') - does the 'mind altering' state really exist - and was it/is it responsible for the end products for many artists?

This is not meant as a put-down, or prying into peoples' lives - just an innocent 'I wonder'?

(LOL - don't all speak at once...!)
"Some may call it wander-lust, some may call it crazy.
I don't call it anything - I Just Let It Take Me."
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Danny Harris wrote:"Oh, lower down your passion ropes and lift me off the ground..." -
Isn't it "compassion ropes"?
Last edited by bob_32_116 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

bob_32_116 wrote:
Danny Harris wrote:"Oh, lower down your passion ropes and lift me off the ground..." -
(Gulp) er um er ah ..haven't checked the official lyrics - relying on the ol' auditory nerve, as it were...

I'm SURe it's as I wrote???
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Danny Harris wrote:I hesitate to mention this, but...

Lind has advised us that he struggled with some demons during the 60's/'70's...i.g. substance and alcohol abuse/misuse...

I wonder if his declared 'sober' life-style now is a factor in a 'different' writing/performing mode, or if it is due to his natural progression through life, years, experiences, relationships, and so on...?

What I mean is...(me being a naive old bloke who loves a beer but has never even sniffed a 'cone') - does the 'mind altering' state really exist - and was it/is it responsible for the end products for many artists?

This is not meant as a put-down, or prying into peoples' lives - just an innocent 'I wonder'?

(LOL - don't all speak at once...!)
Oh boy, this sort of thing gets discussed at length on other music fora, especially in regard to cannabis.

Fans who happen to use the drugs in question often say things like "They produced their best work when stoned" and "You really need to be stoned to appreciate <insert name of artist>". I don't believe that at all - if you can't appreciate the music while sober, then the writer hasn't done a very good job, in my opinion.

Many artists have produced great music inspired by, or as a result of, bad experiences. I hope (and believe) that that doesn't mean someone who leads a happy, sane and relatively normal life is incapable of writing great music.
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Danny Harris wrote:
bob_32_116 wrote:
(Gulp) er um er ah ..haven't checked the official lyrics - relying on the ol' auditory nerve, as it were...

I'm SURe it's as I wrote???
I always heard "compassion ropes". Makes more sense to me.

However, this is one of the cases where I am actually able to check, since I have "The Bob Lind Songbook", published in 1966 by Metric Music, with the words and music of all the songs from Don't Be Concerned, as well as Remember the Rain. The line does indeed read:

Lower down compassion ropes and lift me off the ground,

Talk about keeping a thing for 7 years and finding a use for it! Except in this case it's more like 43 years... it still has the price sticker in both decimal and non-decimal currency (90c 9/-), since that was the year we converted.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

passion ropes?

I'm SURe it's as I wrote???[/quote]
this is one of the cases where I am actually able to check, since I have "The Bob Lind Songbook", published in 1966 by Metric Music, with the words and music of all the songs from Don't Be Concerned, as well as Remember the Rain. The line does indeed read:

Lower down compassion ropes and lift me off the ground,

[/quote]
Ok, you win...