CD Reissue of Elusive Butterfly/Don't Be Concerned

General discussion & socializing in a Lind-related vein.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

John Duncan

Post by John Duncan »

Rob
the running order as published on Amazon is totally different to the original LP of Photographs of Feeling. Don't be Concerned order remains the same as the LP. Very odd. Wonder why they changed the order?
Last edited by John Duncan on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoeMike

Hello! I'm MikeDoe! Check out my site!

Post by DoeMike »

Hello! I'm MikeDoe! Check out my site!
Last edited by DoeMike on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rob68

Post by rob68 »

Oops, that was me above.
Last edited by rob68 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
Kie Miskelly

Photographs of Feeling tracks...

Post by Kie Miskelly »

.. yep 13-22 are the same with one change - Eleanor is actually spelled Elinor...
Last edited by Kie Miskelly on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kie Miskelly

Photographs of Feeling... ooops... never take...

Post by Kie Miskelly »

.. the back cover list as gospel!!!! It bears no resemblance to the track listing on the vinyl itself... which is Side 1: San Francisco Woman, A Nameless Request, West Virginia Summer Child, Go Ask Your Man, Remember the Rain and Side 2: Just Let It Take Me, The World Is Just etc, We've Never Spoken, Oh Babe Take Me Home and Eleanor - so some lazy work by the art studio on the back cover, surprised they didn't put Val Doonican's name there instead of Bob's!!
Last edited by Kie Miskelly on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob68

Re: Photographs of Feeling... ooops... never take...

Post by rob68 »

Kie Miskelly wrote:.. the back cover list as gospel!!!! It bears no resemblance to the track listing on the vinyl itself... which is Side 1: San Francisco Woman, A Nameless Request, West Virginia Summer Child, Go Ask Your Man, Remember the Rain and Side 2: Just Let It Take Me, The World Is Just etc, We've Never Spoken, Oh Babe Take Me Home and Eleanor
I think the sequencing on the original 'Photographs Of Feeling' album is much better than the crazy way those songs are sequenced on the new CD. Same songs, but it's strange that they didn't match them up in the same order.
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
Martin Roberts

Post by Martin Roberts »

I recently gave my UK Fontana copy of Photographs Of Feelings to a pal and can't remember if the CD release matches this or not but if you check the sleeve, not the vinyl of the US album you get the ACE CD running order! Even more important than this and the mis-spelling of Elinor - World Pacific got this half wrong as well, the vinyl credits Eleanor whereas the sleeve spells her name correctly - is just how damned good this LP is. I've had the CD on almost constant rotation these past couple of weeks and there is not a hint of the dreaded second albumitis. Especially considering how quickly this release followed the Don't Be Concerned LP the songs, production and quality on the second set are as good and at times I think better, than the first. Amazing.

Martin
Last edited by Martin Roberts on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob_32_116

Order of tracks on the Photographs album

Post by bob_32_116 »

rob68 wrote:To any UK fans.....

Are tracks 13-22 on this CD the original running order of the UK Photographs of Feeling LP? The U.S. version is different....
The order of tracks 13-22 on the Footsteps album is:

San Francisco Woman
A Nameless Request
West Virginia Summer Child
Go Ask Your Man
Remember The Rain
I Just Let It Take Me
The World Is Just A B Movie Meets Reno Funtown USA
We've Never Spoken
Oh Babe Take Me Home
Eleanor

I am unsure about whether the order is the same as on the original Photographs album.
I listened to part of the album only once, in a record store. (I decided not to buy it at the time, kicked myself forever afterwards.) It was a long time ago, but I know for sure that San Francisco Woman was track 1, and I am almost certain that A Nameless Request was NOT track 2, I think it was track 4, might have been track 3.

I think I was a little freaked out by San Francisco Woman because it was so unlike anything off the Don't Be Concerned album. At first I thought the shop assistant had put the wrong album on the turntable by mistake!
Last edited by bob_32_116 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob68

Post by rob68 »

That's the same order as the U.S. LP, Bob.

By the way, Tony Rounce has told me that the sequencing on the new CD of the Photographs Of Feeling tracks is the way it is because that's the order the songs are in on the master tape.
rob68

Post by rob68 »

Listened to this CD on headphones tonight. Reminded what a beautiful song Unlock The Door is. So great. Restoring these tracks to their original wide stereo mixes really is nice. Some people swear by mono, which is seemingly what Ron was trying to do by remixing the songs on the '93 Best Of. But in this case the separation of the instruments really benefits the listening experience, in my opinion. The drumming on It Wasn't Just The Morning really stands out, for instance. Hal Blaine, I'm assuming. Incredible work.