Bob Lind's Message Board

let's talk about it
Click to return to BobLind.com
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Song for the day
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:51 am 

Aretha Franklin is a US singer–songwriter and musician. She began her career singing gospel as a child in church. In 1960, at the age of 18, Franklin recorded for Columbia Records but only to modest success. Following her signing to Atlantic Records in 1967, she achieved critical and commercial acclaim songs such as "Respect" and "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman" and "Think". These hits and more helped her to gain the title The Queen of Soul.

Franklin eventually recorded a total of 112 charted singles becoming the most charted female artist in history. She also recorded acclaimed albums such as I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You, Lady Soul, Young, Gifted & Black and Amazing Grace before experiencing problems with her record company by the mid-1970s. After her father was shot in 1979, Franklin left Atlantic and signed with Arista Records, finding success with her part in the film, The Blues Brothers and with the albums, Jump to It and Who's Zoomin' Who?

Franklin has won a total of 18 Grammy Awards and is one of the best-selling artists of all time, having sold over 75 million records worldwide.

Here's one of her best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FOUqQt3Kg0

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:25 am 

Tina Turner is a singer, dancer, actress and author, whose career has spanned more than half a century, earning her widespread recognition and numerous awards. Turner was born and raised in the Southeastern USA but is now a Swiss citizen.

She began her music career in the mid-1950s as a featured singer with Ike Turner's Kings of Rhythm. She first recorded in 1958 under the name "Little Ann."

Her introduction to the public as Tina Turner began in 1960 as a member of the Ike & Tina Turner Revue. They had a string of hits including "A Fool in Love", "River Deep – Mountain High" (1966), "Proud Mary" (1971) and "Nutbush City Limits" (1973) - which she wrote herself.

After her divorce from Ike Turner, she rebuilt her career through live performances. In the early 1980s, she launched a major comeback with another string of hits, starting in 1983 with the single "Let's Stay Together" followed by the 1984 release of her 5th solo album Private Dancer which was a worldwide hit. "What's Love Got to Do with It", the lead single, won various awards. Her solo success continued with the multi platinum albums: Break Every Rule and Foreign Affair and with singles such as "We Don't Need Another Hero (Thunderdome)", "The Best" and "Golden Eye" for the James Bond. "What's Love Got to Do with It" was later used as the title of a loosely based biographical film adapted from her autobiography. In addition to her musical career, Turner has also experienced success in films, including the role of Acid Queen in the 1975 rock musical Tommy, a starring role alongside Mel Gibson in the 1985 action film Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome and a cameo role in the 1993 film Last Action Hero.

Turner is one of the world's best-selling music artists of all time and has been referred to as The Queen of Rock 'n' Roll, Turner has been termed the most successful female Rock 'n' Roll artist.

She has also sold more concert tickets than any other solo performer in history. Her combined album and single sales total approximately 180 million copies worldwide, making her one of the biggest selling females in music history.[11] She is noted for her energetic stage presence,[7] powerful vocals, and career longevity. In 2008, Turner returned from semi-retirement to embark on her Tina!: 50th Anniversary Tour. It became one of the highest selling ticketed shows of 2008–09.

Here's one of her best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLj5sBfGuQY

Enjoy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:09 am 

Dusty Springfield was a UK pop singer and record producer whose career extended from the late 1950s to the 1990s. With her distinctive mezzo soprano voice and, at her peak, was one of the most successful UK female performers. She had 6 top 20 singles in the US and 16 in the the UK charts 1963 to 1989. International polls have named her amongst the best female rock artists of all time. Her image on the black and white television made her an icon of the Swinging Sixties.

Born into a family that enjoyed music, Springfield learned to sing at home. In 1958 she joined her first professional group, The Lana Sisters. Two years later formed a pop-folk vocal trio, The Springfields, with her brother Tom. Her solo career began in 1963 with "I Only Want to Be with You". Among the hits that followed were "Wishin' and Hopin' " (1964), "I Just Don't Know What to Do with Myself" (1964), "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" (1966), and "Son of a Preacher Man" (1968).

As a fan of US pop music, she brought many little-known soul singers to the attention of a wider UK record-buying audience by hosting the first national TV performance of many top-selling Motown artists beginning in 1965 and thus contributed to the music genre known as Northern Soul.

Partly owing to these efforts, a year later she became the best-selling female singer in the world and topped a number of polls.

To boost her credibility as a soul artist, Springfield went to Memphis to record Dusty in Memphis, an album of pop and soul music with the Atlantic Records main production team. Released in 1969, it has been ranked among the greatest albums of all time.

In spite of this, the album did not sell well and after its release, Springfield experienced a career slump for several years. However, in collaboration with Pet Shop Boys, she returned to the Top 10 of the UK and US charts in 1987 with "What Have I Done to Deserve This?" Two years later, she had 2 other UK hits on her own with "Nothing Has Been Proved" and "In Private." Subsequently in the mid-1990s, owing to the inclusion of "Son of a Preacher Man" on the Pulp Fiction soundtrack, interest in her early output was revived.

Sadly, Dusty died of cancer in 1999.

Here's one of her best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IXr5dZ9iAk

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:43 am 

Oasis were formed in Manchester in 1991. The band developed out of an earlier group, the Rain, and originally consisted of Liam Gallagher (vocals and tambourine), Paul "Bonehead" Arthurs (guitar), Paul "Guigsy" McGuigan (bass guitar) and Tony McCarroll (drums, percussion). They were later joined by Liam's older brother Noel (lead guitar and vocals) as a 5th member, becoming the band's settled line-up until April 1995.

Oasis signed to independent record label Creation Records in 1993 and released their debut album Definitely Maybe (1994). The following year the band recorded (What's the Story) Morning Glory?(1995) with their new drummer Alan White, formerly of Starclub, in the midst of a chart rivalry with Britpop peers Blur. Along with Suede, Pulp and Blur, Oasis came to be regarded as a component of the Britpop "big four". In 1997 Oasis released their 3rd album, Be Here Now(1997), and although it became the fastest-selling album in UK chart history selling 8 million copies. McGuigan and Arthurs left Oasis in 1999 as the band went on to record and release Standing on the Shoulder of Giants (2000). After their departures, they were replaced by former Heavy Stereo guitarist/frontman Gem Archer and former Hurricane No. 1 guitarist/frontman Andy Bell who joined the group for the tour in support of Standing on the Shoulder of Giants. Their 5th album Heathen Chemistry (2002) saw Noel Gallagher's releasing strict creative control in the band's output with all members contributing songs. This led to more relaxed recording sessions. In 2004 the band were joined by The Who's drummer Zak Starkey, replacing Alan White and found renewed success and popularity with Don't Believe the Truth (2005).

Following the recording of the band's 7th album Dig Out Your Soul (2008), Starkey left and was replaced by Chris Sharrock on Oasis' last tour. During the tour the brothers' deteriorating relationship led to Noel announcing that he would be leaving the band after a backstage row with Liam before a festival appearance. The band, comprising the remaining members and led by Liam, decided to continue working together under the name Beady Eye until they broke up in 2014, while Noel went on to form his solo project Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds.
Oasis have had 8 UK #1 singles and 8 UK #1 albums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hzrDeceEKc

Enjoy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:29 am 

Blur are a UK rock band who formed in London in 1988. The group consists of singer/ keyboardist/guitarist Damon Albarn, guitarist/singer Graham Coxon, bassist Alex James and drummer Dave Rowntree. Their debut album Leisure (1991), incorporated the sounds of Madchester and shoegazing. Following a style change influenced by the Kinks, XTC and the Beatles, Blur released Modern Life Is Rubbish (1993), Parklife (1994) and The Great Escape (1995)). In the process, the band helped establish the Britpop genre and achieved mass popularity in the UK, aided by a chart battle with rivals Oasis in 1995 dubbed the "Battle of Britpop".

In recording their follow-up, Blur (1997), the band underwent another reinvention, showing influence from the lo-fi style of US indie rockgroups. The album, including the "Song 2" single, brought Blur mainstream success in the USA. Their next album, 13 (1999) saw the band members experimenting with electronic and gospel music and featured more personal lyrics from Albarn. In May 2002, Coxon left Blur during the recording of their 7th album Think Tank (2003). Containing electronic sounds and more minimal guitar work, the album was marked by Albarn's growing interest in hip hop and African music. After a 2003 tour without Coxon, Blur did no studio work or touring as a band as members engaged in other projects.

Blur reunited, with Coxon back in the fold, for a series of concerts in 2009. In the following years they released several singles and retrospective compilations and toured internationally. In 2012, their first major release in 12 years, The Magic Whip (2015), became the 6th consecutive Blur studio album to top the British charts.

Here’s one of their best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci0fyRAw21Q

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:35 am 

Frankie Goes to Hollywood were a UK band popular that were formed in 1980. The group consisted of Holly Johnson (vocals), Paul Rutherford (vocals, keyboards), Peter Gill (drums, percussion), Mark O'Toole (bass guitar) and Brian Nash (guitar).

Their debut single "Relax" (1983) was banned by the BBC in 1984 while at #6 in the UK charts and subsequently went to #1 for 5 consecutive weeks and ultimately becoming the 7th best-selling UK single of all time. After the follow-up success of "Two Tribes" and "The Power of Love," the group became only the 2nd act in the history of the UK charts to reach #1 with their 1st 3 singles; the first being fellow Liverpudlians Gerry & the Pacemakers. This record remained unbeaten until the Spice Girls achieved a 6-single streak in 1996-1997.

Here's one of their best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXWVpcypf0w

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:13 am 

The Four Tops are a US vocal quartet from Detroit. They helped to define the 60’s Motown sound. The group's repertoire has included soul, R&B, disco, contemporary, doo-wop, jazz, and show tunes.
Founded as The Four Aims, lead singer Levi Stubbs, Abdul "Duke" Fakir, Renaldo "Obie" Benson and Lawrence Payton remained together for over four decades, having gone from 1953 until 1997 without a change in personnel.

The Four Tops were among a number of groups, including The Miracles, The Marvelettes, Martha and the Vandellas, The Temptations and The Supremes, who established the Motown Sound during the 1960s. They were notable for having Stubbs, a baritone, as their lead singer, whereas most male/mixed vocal groups of the time were fronted by a tenor.

The group was the main male vocal group for the highly successful song writing and production team of Holland–Dozier–Holland who created a stream of hit singles. These included 2 #1s for the Four Tops: "I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)" in 1965 and "Reach Out I'll Be There" in 1966. After Holland-Dozier-Holland left Motown in 1967, the Four Tops were assigned to a number of producers, primarily Frank Wilson, but generally with less success.

When Motown left Detroit in 1972 to move to Los Angeles, California, the Tops stayed in Detroit but signed a new recording deal with ABC Records' Dunhill imprint. Recording mainly in Los Angeles, they continued to have chart singles into the late 1970s, including the million-seller, "Ain't No Woman", their second release on Dunhill, produced by Steve Barri and composers Dennis Lambert and Brian Potter.

In the 1980s, the Four Tops recorded for Casablanca Records, Arista Records and Motown, returning to that label on two occasions for brief stays.

A line-up change was forced upon the group when Payton died in 1997. Initially, they continued as a 3-piece under the name The Tops, before Theo Peoples (formerly of The Temptations) was recruited as the new 4th member. Peoples eventually took over the role of lead singer when Stubbs suffered a stroke in 2000, with Ronnie McNeir then joining the group. In 2005, Benson died of lung cancer with Payton's son Roquel replacing him. Levi Stubbs died in 2008.

Fakir, McNeir, Payton, and Harold "Spike" Bonhart, who replaced Peoples in 2011, are still performing together as the Four Tops. As of 2014,50 years after their first Motown hit, Fakir is the only surviving founding member of the original group and Payton is a second-generation member.

Here’s one of their best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnDm3qr1Knk

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:18 am 

The Temptations are a US vocal group who found success with Motown Records during the 60s and 70s. Known for their choreography and distinct harmonies, the group was highly influential on the R&B and soul music movement. Having sold tens of millions of albums, the Temptations are one of the most successful groups in history. They continue to perform with one living original member, Otis Williams, still in the lineup.

The group formed in 1960 in Detroit under the name 'The Elgins'. The founding members originally came from 2 rival Detroit vocal groups: Otis Williams, Elbridge "Al" Bryant and Melvin Franklin of Otis Williams & the Distants, and Eddie Kendricks and Paul Williams of the Primes. The group featured 5 male vocalists and dancers (save for brief periods with fewer or more members), In 1964, Bryant was replaced by David Ruffin, who was the lead vocalist on a number of the group's biggest hits, including "My Girl" (1964), "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" (1966) and "I Wish It Would Rain" (1967). Ruffin was replaced in 1968 by Dennis Edwards, with whom the group continued to record hit records such as "Cloud Nine" (1969) and "Ball of Confusion (That's What the World is Today)" (1970). The group's lineup has changed frequently since the departures of Kendricks and Paul Williams from the act in 1971. Later members of the group have included singers such as Richard Street, Damon Harris, Ron Tyson and Ali-Ollie Woodson, with whom the group scored a late-period hit in 1984 with "Treat Her Like a Lady".

Over the course of their career, the Temptations have released 4 #1 singles and 14 #1 R&B singles. Their songs have earned 3 Grammy Awards and they were the 1st Motown recording act to win a Grammy Award - for "Cloud Nine" in 1969.

Here's one of their best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJV2pWFyfn4

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:41 am 

Olivia Newton-John is an English-Australian singer, songwriter and actress. She has had 5 #1 and 10 other top 10 singles. She's also had 2 #1 solo albums. 11 of he singles and 14 of her albums went gold. She has sold an estimated 100 million records, making her one of the world's best-selling music artists of all time. She starred in Grease, which featured one of the most successful soundtracks in Hollywood history.

Newton-John has been a long-time activist for environmental and animal rights. Since surviving breast cancer in 1992, she has been an advocate for health awareness becoming involved with various charities, health products and fundraising efforts.

Here's one of her best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMg5nPbluo0

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:12 am 

The Isley Brothers are a US musical group from Cincinnati. Originally, they were a vocal trio consisting of brothers O'Kelly Isley, Jr., Rudolph Isley and Ronald Isley. They have been cited as having enjoyed one of the "longest, most influential and most diverse career in popular music".

Together with a 4th brother, Vernon, the group originally performed gospel music until Vernon's death. After moving to New York in the late 50s, the group had modest chart successes and first came to prominence in 1959 with their 4th single, "Shout", which was written by the three brothers. Initially it was a modest hit but eventually sold over a million copies. Afterwards the group recorded modestly successful works for a variety of labels, including "Twist and Shout" and the Motown single, "This Old Heart of Mine (Is Weak for You)" before recording and issuing the Grammy Award-winning hit, "It's Your Thing" on their own label, T-Neck Records.

Initially influenced by gospel and doo-wop music, they began experimenting with different musical styles incorporating elements of rock and funk music as well as pop. The inclusion of younger brothers Ernie Isley (lead guitar, drums) and Marvin Isley (bass guitar) and Rudolph's brother-in-law Chris Jasper (keyboards, synthesizers) in 1973 turned the original vocal trio into a self-contained musical band. For the next decade, the siblings recorded top-selling albums including The Heat Is On and Between the Sheets.

The 6-member lineup of the band splintered in 1983, with Ernie, Marvin, and Chris Jasper forming the short-lived spinoff group Isley-Jasper-Isley. Eldest member O'Kelly died in 1986 and Rudolph and Ronald released a pair of albums as a duo before Rudolph retired for life in the Christian ministry in 1989. Ronald reformed the group 2 years later with Ernie and Marvin in 1991; 5 years later in 1996, Marvin Isley left the group due to complications with diabetes. The remaining duo of Ronald and Ernie achieved success with the albums Eternal (2001) and Body Kiss (2003), with the former spawning the top twenty hit, "Contagious". As of 2016, the Isley Brothers continue to perform under the lineup of Ronald and Ernie.

During their career, the Isley Brothers have had 4 Top 10 singles. 16 albums have charted in the Top 40, 13 of which were certified gold, platinum or multi-platinum.

Here's one of their best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_9M6kRfJes

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:13 am 

Kylie Minogue is an Australian singer, songwriter and actress who achieved recognition in the Australian soap opera Neighbours in which she played tomboy mechanic Charlene Robinson for two years.

Following her departure, she became a recording artist and achieved commercial success and critical acclaim. She is the highest-selling Australian artist of all time.

Although Kylie was born and raised in Melbourne, she has, for many years, worked and lived in London.

She signed with PWL in 1987 and in 1988 released her 1st studio album Kylie. In 1992, she signed with Deconstruction Records and where she created her self-titled studio album and Impossible Princess, both of which received positive reviews. Returning to more mainstream dance-oriented music, Minogue signed to Parlophone and released "Spinning Around". Her 2001 single "Can't Get You Out of My Head" became one of the most successful singles during the 2000s, selling over 10 million units. It is recognised as her "signature song. Her album Fever (2001) was a hit in many countries, including the US. Minogue has released many successful singles, including "The Loco-Motion", "Especially for You", "Hand on Your Heart", "Better the Devil You Know", "Confide in Me", "Spinning Around", "Slow", "2 Hearts" and "All The Lovers".

In 2005, while Minogue was on her Showgirl: The Greatest Hits Tour, she was diagnosed with breast cancer. After treatment, she resumed the tour under the title Showgirl: The Homecoming Tour, which critics viewed as a "triumph". Minogue resumed work as an actress and appeared in the films Moulin Rouge! (2001), Jack & Diane and Holy Motors (2012). In 2014, she appeared as a judge on the 3rd series of The Voice UK and The Voice Australia.

As of 2015, Minogue has had worldwide record sales of more than 80 million.

Here’s one of her definitive songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMCXx5k01Tg

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:12 am 

AC/DC are an Australian rock band who formed in 1973 by brothers Malcolm and Angus Young.

AC/DC underwent several line-up changes before releasing their 1st album, High Voltage, in 1975. Malcolm and Angus were the only original members left in the band. After the changes, the line-up stabilised until bassist Mark Evans was replaced by Cliff Williams in 1977 for the album Powerage.

During the recording of Highway to Hell, lead singer and co-songwriter Bon Scott died following a night of alcohol consumption. The group considered disbanding but due to the support of Scott's parents, decided to continue and selected Brian Johnson to replace Scott. Later that year, the band released the new album, Back in Black, which was made as a tribute to Bon Scott. The album launched them to new heights of success and became their all-time best-seller.

The band's next album, For Those About to Rock We Salute You, was their first album to reach #1 in the US. In 1983, drummer Phil Rudd was fired and replaced by ex-A II Z drummer Simon Wright, who left to join Dio in 1989.

The band experienced a resurgence in the early 1990s with the release of The Razors Edge. Phil Rudd returned in 1994 after Chris Slade, who was in the band from 1989 to 1994, was asked to leave in favour of him, and contributed to the band's 1995 album Ballbreaker. Stiff Upper Lip, released in 2000, was well received by critics. The band's studio album, Black Ice, released in 2008, was the second-highest-selling album of that year, and their biggest chart hit since For Those About to Rock, eventually reaching No.1 on all charts worldwide.

The band's line-up remained the same until 2014 with Malcolm Young's retirement and Rudd's legal troubles. In 2016, Johnson was advised to stop touring on account of worsening hearing loss and Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose stepped in as the band's vocalist for the remainder of that year's dates.

AC/DC have sold more than 200 million records worldwide. Back in Black has sold an estimated 50 million worldwide, making it the fifth-highest-selling album by any artist – and the third-highest-selling album by any band.

Here's one of their best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAgnJDJ ... 2Q2JLb5fA2

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:39 am 

The Animals were a UK formed in Newcastle during the early part of the 60s. They moved to London after finding fame in 1964. They were known for their gritty, bluesy sound and deep-voiced front-man Eric Burdon. Their songs included their signature tune and #1 single, "The House of the Rising Sun", "We Gotta Get out of This Place", "It's My Life", "I'm Crying" and "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood". The band balanced tough, rock-edged pop singles and rhythm and blues-oriented album material. They were known in the US as part of the UK invasion.

The Animals underwent numerous personnel changes in the 60s and suffered from poor business management. Under the name Eric Burdon and the Animals, the much-changed band moved to California and achieved commercial success as a psychedelic and hard rock band with hits like "San Franciscan Nights", "When I Was Young" and "Sky Pilot" before disbanding at the end of the decade. The band has had 10 Top 20 hits in both the UK & US.

The original line-up had brief comebacks in 1975 and 1983 and there have been several partial regroupings of the original era members since then under various names.

Here’s one of their best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJVpihgwE18

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:35 am 

Jackie Wilson was a US soul singer-songwriter. He was a tenor with a 4-octave vocal range. He was nicknamed "Mr. Excitement" and was important in the transition of R&B into soul. He was considered a master showman and one of the most dynamic and influential singers in R&B and rock 'n' roll history.

In his early years he was a member of the R&B vocal group Billy Ward and His Dominoes. In 1957 he went solo and recorded over 50 hit singles that spanned R&B, pop, soul and easy listening. This included 16 R&B Top 10 hits, including 6 # 1s. He also had 14 top 20 pop hits, 6 of which were top 10 hits.

On September 29, 1975, while headlining a Dick Clark Oldies Concert, he collapsed on stage from a massive heart attack. He slipped into a coma slowly awakening over the next 8 months. He remained in a semi-comatosed state for the next 9 years until his death at the age of 49.

Wilson was an inspiration to Elvis Presley, Bruce Springsteen, James Brown and Michael Jackson to name but a few. He was one of the most influential artists of his generation.

Here’s one of his best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzDVaKRApcg

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:20 am 

Also Northern Soul Icon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next