Bob Lind's Message Board

let's talk about it
Click to return to BobLind.com
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Song for the day
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:51 am 

The Corrs are from Dundalk, Ireland. They combine pop rock with traditional Irish music. The band consists of Andrea (lead vocals and tin whistle), Sharon (violin and vocals), Caroline (drums, percussion, piano, bodhrán and vocals) and Jim Corr (guitar, piano, keyboards and vocals).

They have released 6 studio albums and numerous singles which have reached platinum status in many countries. Talk on Corners, their most successful album, became multi-platinum in Australia and in the UK and became the best selling album of 1998. The band is one of only a handful who have held the top two positions simultaneously in the UK album charts, with Talk on Corners at number one and Forgiven, Not Forgotten at number two. The latter was the 3rd highest selling album in Australia in 1996. Their 3rd studio album, In Blue, went to #1 in 17 countries.

The Corrs have been actively involved in philanthropic activities. They have performed in numerous charity events such as The Prince's Trust event in 2004 and Live 8 in 2005. They have been awarded MBEs for their contributions to music and charity. The band was inactive for almost 10 years inactive due to family commitments although Andrea and Sharon did pursue solo careers during that time. In June 2015, Andrea confirmed that The Corrs were working on a new album and would play the BBC Radio 2 Live in Hyde Park festival. Their 6th studio album, White Light, was released on 27th November 2015, and was accompanied by a world tour.

Here’s one of their best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzerbXF ... EQyxHmWqY2

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 2:00 am 

Sir Elton Hercules John, CBE, is a UK pianist, singer-songwriter and composer. He has worked with lyricist Bernie Taupin since 1967. To date, they have collaborated on more than 30 albums. In his five-decade career Elton John has sold more than 300 million records, making him one of the best-selling music artists in the world. He has more than 50 Top 40 hits, including 7 consecutive No. 1 US albums, 58 Billboard Top 40 singles, 27 Top 10, 4 No. 2 and 9 No. 1. For 31 consecutive years (1970–2000) he had at least one song in the Billboard Hot 100. His single "Candle in the Wind 1997" sold over 33 million copies worldwide and is the best-selling single in the history of the UK and US charts. He has also composed music, produced records and has occasionally acted in films. John owned Watford Football Club from 1976 to 1987 and 1997 to 2002. He is an honorary Life President of the club, and in 2014 had a stand named after him at the club's home stadium.

Elton John was born Reginald Dwight in 1947, was raised in Pinner, London, and learned to play piano at an early age. In 1962 he formed Bluesology. John met his song writing partner, Bernie Taupin, in 1967, after they had both answered an advert for songwriters. Initially, they wrote songs for other artists including Roger Cook and Lulu. John also worked as a session musician for artists such as the Hollies and the Scaffold. In 1969 his debut album, Empty Sky, was released. In 1970 a single, "Your Song", from his second album, Elton John, reached the top 10 in the UK and the US, his first hit single.

In 1996, he was made a CBE. John has performed at a number of royal events, such as the funeral of Princess Diana at Westminster Abbey in 1997, the Party at the Palace in 2002 and the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Concert outside Buckingham Palace in 2012.

He has been heavily involved in the fight against AIDS since the late 1980s. In 1992, he established the Elton John AIDS Foundation. Since its inception, the foundation has raised over US$200 million. John, who announced he was bisexual in 1976 and has been openly gay since 1988, entered into a civil partnership with David Furnish on 21 December 2005, and after gay marriage became legal in the UK, wed Furnish on 21 December 2014. He continues to be a champion for LGBT social movement worldwide and same-sex marriage.

Here’s one of his best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13GD78Bmo8s

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:59 am 

Crowded House are a rock band formed in Melbourne, Australia, in 1985. The founding members were New Zealander Neil Finn (vocalist, guitarist, songwriter) and Australians Paul Hester (drums) and Nick Seymour (bass). Later Neil Finn's brother, Tim Finn, and Americans Mark Hart and Matt Sherrod joined.

The band had consistent commercial and critical success in Australia and New Zealand and international chart success beginning with their self-titled debut album, which reached number 12 in the US Album Chart in 1987 and provided the Top Ten 10 hit "Don't Dream It's Over" and "Something So Strong". Further international success came in the UK and Europe with their 3rd and 4th albums, Woodface and Together Alone and the compilation album Recurring Dream, which included the hits "Fall at Your Feet", "Weather with You", "Distant Sun", "Locked Out", "Instinct" and "Not the Girl You Think You Are". In 1993, both Neil and Tim Finn we made OBEs for their contribution to the music.

Founding drummer Hester left the band in May 1994 for family reasons, but briefly returned for their "Farewell to the World" concerts in Melbourne and Sydney in 1996. In 2005, Hester committed suicide. Neil Finn had decided to end the band to concentrate on his solo career and the Finn Brothers project with Tim.[1] On 26 March 2005 Hester died by suicide, aged 46.

In 2006 the group re-formed with new drummer Matt Sherrod and have since released 2 albums, both of which reached #1 in Australia's album chart.

Here’s one of their best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjBwAYIxUso

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:55 am 

Bob Dylan is a US singer-songwriter, artist and writer. His influence on pop music spanned 5 decades. Many of his most famous songs chronicled social unrest and "Blowin' in the Wind" and "The Times They Are a-Changin'" became anthems for the US civil rights and anti-war movements.

Dylan's lyrics have incorporated various political, social, philosophical, and literary influences. They defied existing pop music conventions and appealed to the burgeoning counterculture. His music has explored the traditions of American songs—from folk, blues, country to gospel, rock and roll, English, Scottish, and Irish folk music, embracing even jazz and the Great American Songbook.

Dylan plays guitar, keyboards and harmonica. Backed by a changing line-up of musicians, he has toured since the late 1980s.

Since 1994, Dylan has published 6 books of drawings and paintings and his work has been exhibited in major art galleries. As a musician, Dylan has sold more than 100 million records, making him one of the best-selling artists of all time. He has also received numerous awards. In May 2012, Dylan received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from Barack Obama.

Here’s one of Dylan’s best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wra3pF8 ... DAxicn6qcK

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:30 am 

Creedence Clearwater Revival was a US rock band from the San Francisco Bay area and were active in the late 1960s and early 1970s. The band consisted of lead vocalist, lead guitarist, and primary songwriter John Fogerty, his brother rhythm guitarist Tom Fogerty, bassist Stu Cook and drummer Doug Clifford. Their musical style encompassed roots, swamp and blues rock. Despite their western roots, they portrayed a rock style with lyrics about bayous, catfish, the Mississippi River and other popular elements of Southern USA, as well as political and socially-conscious lyrics about topics including the Vietnam War.

Their music is still popular on US radio and the band sold 26 million albums in the USA alone.

Here’s one of their best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnRsaHXHznQ

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:36 am 

The Traveling Wilburys were a UK/USA supergroup consisting of Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Roy Orbison and Tom Petty. The band recorded two albums in 1988 and 1990, though Orbison died before the second was recorded.

The name of the band came about when Jeff Lynne asked George Harrison what he was going to do about the recording errors that were caused by some faulty recording equipment. George wistfully said that ‘We’ll bury them in the mix.’ From that point on, recording errors became known as Wilburys – from which the band took its name.

There’s not much else to be said.

Here’s one of their best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8s9dmuAKvU

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:40 am 

Sade is a UK singer-songwriter, composer, arranger, and record producer. Together with Paul Denman, Andrew Hale and Stuart Matthewman, she gained worldwide fame as the lead vocalist of the UK band Sade.

Following a brief stint as a fashion designer and part-time model, Sade became a backup singer for the band Pride. Growing attention from record labels led her, along with other fellow band members, to leave Pride and form Sade. Following a record deal with Epic records the band released their 1st album Diamond Life (1984). It sold over 6 million copies and became one of the top-selling debut recordings of the 1980s and the best-selling debut album ever by a UK female vocalist.

Following the release of their 1st album, they went on to release a string of multi-platinum albums. Their follow up Promise was released in 1985 and peaked at #1 in the UK Albums Chart, the US Billboard 200 and went on to sell 4 million copies in the US alone. In 1986, Sade made her acting debut in the UK film, Absolute Beginners. In 1988, the band released their album, Stronger Than Pride and in 1992 Love Deluxe. After the release of their 5th album, Lovers Rock (2000), the band took a 10-year hiatus in which Sade raised her daughter.

Following the band’s return, they released their 6th album, Soldier of Love (2010). It was a commercial success and won a Grammy.

Sade's US sales so far stand at 23.5 million and they have sold more than 50 million worldwide.
In 2002, Sade was awarded an OBE for her services to music. In 2010, The Sunday Times named named her the most successful UK female solo artist in history.

Here’s one of her best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TYv2PhG89A

Oh, those silky-smooth tones.

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:00 am 

Jean Michel Jarre is a French composer, performer and music producer. He is a pioneer in the electronic, ambient and new-age genres and known as an organiser of outdoor spectacles of his music featuring lights, laser displays and fireworks.

Jarre was raised in Lyon and trained on the piano. From an early age he was introduced to a variety of art forms including street performers, jazz musicians and the artist Pierre Soulages. He played guitar in a band but his musical style was perhaps most heavily influenced by Pierre Schaeffer, a pioneer of musique concrète at the Groupe de Recherches Musicales.

His 1st mainstream success was the 1976 album Oxygène. Recorded in a makeshift studio at his home, the album sold 12 million copies. It was followed in 1978 by Équinoxe and in 1979 Jarre performed to a record-breaking audience of more than a million people at the Place de la Concorde, a record he has since broken 3 times. More albums followed and several were released to coincide with large-scale outdoor events. He is now perhaps as well known as a performer as he is as a musician.

As of 2004 Jarre had sold an estimated 80 million albums. He was the 1st Western musician to be invited to perform in the People's Republic of China and holds the world record for the largest-ever audience at an outdoor event.

Here’s his classic tune: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz1cEO01LLc

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:40 am 

The Shadows are a UK instrumental rock group and Cliff Richard's backing band. They have had 69 UK chart singles from the 1950s to the 2000s, 35 credited to the Shadows and 34 to Cliff Richard and the Shadows. The group, who were in the forefront of the UK beat-group boom were the first backing band to emerge as stars. As pioneers of the 4-member format, the band consisted of lead guitar, rhythm guitar, bass guitar and drums. Their range covers pop, rock, surf rock and ballads with a jazz influence.

The core members are Hank Marvin, Bruce Welch and Brian Bennett. The Shadows, with Cliff Richard, dominated UK popular music in the late 1950s and early 1960s in the years before the Beatles. Although they lost ground in the late 60s, the band had a second success from the late 70s.

The Shadows are the 3rd most successful act in the UK singles chart, behind Elvis Presley and Cliff Richard.

Here’s one of their best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbfcEG1 ... 3P19rTH3PU

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:22 am 

Don't forget Jet Harris and Tony Meehan I seen them play Dublin after they left I thing they may have had a hit with a tune called Diamonds not sure.Keep it going I like your post

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:18 am 

Sean Dunne wrote:
Don't forget Jet Harris and Tony Meehan I seen them play Dublin after they left I thing they may have had a hit with a tune called Diamonds not sure.Keep it going I like your post

Hi Sean

Tony Meehan was, of course, was a drummer and a founding member of The Shadows along with Bruce Welch, Jet Harris and Hank Marvin.

Tony was a member until 1961. He sadly died in November 2005 from head injuries after falling down the stairs of his Maida Vale flat.

Jet was bass guitarist and left the band in 1962. He sadly died in 2011 of cancer.

You are indeed correct, Tony Meehan and Jet Harris did play together and did have a hit with a tune called Diamonds.

Here's a link to the tune: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAUOnTaa_TE
Very Shadowsie - don't you think?

Glad that you are enjoying my posts.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:11 am 

Stevie Wonder, is a US musician, singer, songwriter, record producer and multi-instrumentalist. A child prodigy, he became one of the most critically and commercially successful musical performers of the late 20th century. He signed with Motown's Tamla label at the age of 11 and has continued to perform and record for them. He has been blind since shortly after birth.

Among Wonder's singles are "Superstition", "Sir Duke", "You Are the Sunshine of My Life" and "I Just Called to Say I Love You" and albums such as Talking Book, Innervisions and Songs in the Key of Life. He has recorded more than 30 US top 10 hits and has been awarded more Grammys than any other male solo artist. He has sold over 100 million records worldwide. He is noted for his work as an activist for political causes including his 1980 campaign to make Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday a US public holiday. In 2009, Wonder was named a UN Messenger of Peace.

Here’s one of his best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Gu-CyE- NQ&list=PLymM46aOVb8WTAptGr3s27QLSb2R_fAr9

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:48 am 

The Four Seasons are a US rock and pop band that became internationally successful in the 1960s and 70s. The band was formed by Frankie Valli and Bob Gaudio in 1960 following a failed audition. Since 1970, they have also been known at times as Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons.

In 1960, the Four Lovers evolved into the Four Seasons with Frankie Valli as the lead singer, Bob Gaudio (formerly of the Royal Teens) on keyboards and vocals, Tommy DeVito on lead guitar and vocals and Nick Massi on electric bass and vocals.

While singers, producers and musicians have come and gone, Gaudio and Valli have remained. Gaudio no longer plays live leaving Valli the only original member who is still touring.

They are one of the best-selling groups of all time having sold an estimated 100 million records worldwide.

Here’s one of their best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObG9bBJ ... wOtAS1iAZz

Enjoy

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:33 am 

Rod Stewart is a UK singer-songwriter of Scottish and English ancestry. He is one of the best-selling music artists of all time having sold over 100 million records worldwide. He has had 6 consecutive #1 albums in the UK and his tally of 62 UK hit singles includes 31 that reached the top 10, 6 of which gained the #1 position. Stewart has had 16 Top 10 singles in the US, with 4 reaching #1. In 2007 he was made a CBE.

With his distinctive raspy singing voice, Stewart came to prominence in the late 1960s and the early 70s with The Jeff Beck Group and then with the Faces, though his music career had begun in 1962 when he took up busking with a harmonica. In 1963 Stewart joined the Dimensions as a harmonica player and part-time vocalist. In 1964, Stewart joined Long John Baldry and the All Stars and in August, Stewart signed a solo contract, releasing his first single, "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl" in October. Stewart maintained a solo career alongside a group career, releasing his debut solo album, An Old Raincoat Won't Ever Let You Down (in the US: The Rod Stewart Album) in 1969. Stewart's early albums were a fusion of rock, folk, soul and R&B. From the late 1970s through to the 1990s, Stewart's music often took on a new wave or soft rock/ middle-of-the-road quality and in the early 2000s he released a series of successful albums.

Here’s one of his best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T5hYlUsQ0s

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:46 am 

Hi tell me did Keith Ralph of the Yarbirds have a hit with Good Morning Little School Girl

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next