Bob Lind's Message Board

let's talk about it
Click to return to BobLind.com
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Song for the day
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:56 am 

Prince was a US singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist and actor. He was a major figure in popular music for over 3 decades. He was an innovator and was known for his stage presence and vocal range. He was regarded as the pioneer of the Minneapolis sound. His music combined rock, R&B,soul, funk, hip hop, disco, psychedelia, jazz and pop.

Prince wrote his first song at 7. After recording songs with his cousin's band 94 East, he recorded several unsuccessful demo tapes before releasing his debut album For You in 1978. His 1979 album Prince went platinum due to the success of the singles "Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad?" and "I Wanna Be Your Lover". His next 3 records: Dirty Mind (1980), Controvesy (1981) and 1999 (1982) continued his success. In 1984, he released Purple Rain, which served as the soundtrack to his film debut of the same name. A prolific songwriter, Prince in the 1980s wrote songs for and produced work by many other acts, often under pseudonyms.

After releasing Around the World in a Day (1985) and Parade (1986), he released the critically acclaimed double album Sign "O" the Times (1987). He released 3 more solo albums. He changed his stage name in 1993 to an unpronounceable symbol ( ), also known as the "Love Symbol". He then began releasing albums at a faster pace to remove himself from contractual obligations to Warner Bros.; he released 5 records between 1994 and 1996 before signing with Arista Records in 1998. In 2000, he began referring to himself as "Prince" again. He released 15 albums since then, including his latest, HITnRUN Phase One, which was first released exclusively on the Tidal streaming service in 2015 before being released on CD.

Prince sold over 100 million records worldwide, making him one of the best-selling artists.

Here’s a link to his definitive song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8BMm6Jn6oU
RIP.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:05 am 

Neil Young is a Canadian singer-songwriter, musician, producer, director and screen writer. He began performing in a group covering Shadows instrumentals in Canada in 1960 before moving to California in 1966 where he co-founded Buffalo Springfield together with Stephen Stills and Richie Furay. In 1969 he joined Crosby, Stills & Nash. He released his 1st album in 1968 and has since forged a successful solo career, spanning over 45 years and 35 studio albums with a continuous and uncompromising exploration of musical styles. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame describes Young as "one of rock and roll's greatest songwriters and performers".

Young's music is characterized by his distinctive guitar work, deeply personal lyrics and characteristic alto or high tenor singing voice. Although he accompanies himself on several different instruments, including piano and harmonica, his idiosyncratic electric and acoustic guitar playing are the defining characteristics of a varyingly ragged and melodic sound.

While Young has experimented with differing music styles throughout his career, including electronic music, most of his best known work is either acoustic folk-rock and country rock or electric, amplified hard rock (most often in collaboration with the band Crazy Horse). Musical styles such as alternative rock and grunge also adopted elements from Young. His influence has caused some to dub him the "Godfather of Grunge".

Young has directed (or co-directed) a number of films using the pseudonym Bernard Shakey, including Journey Through the Past (1973), Rust Never Sleeps (1979), Human Highway (1982), Greendale (2003), and CSNY/Déjà Vu(2008). He has also contributed to the soundtracks of films including Philadelphia (1993) and Dead Man (1995).

Young is an environmentalist and outspoken advocate for the welfare of small farmers, having co-founded in 1985 the benefit concert Farm Aid. He is currently working on a documentary about electric car technology, tentatively titled Linc Volt. The project involves his 1959 Lincoln Continental converted to hybrid technology as an environmentalist statement. In 1986, Young helped found The Bridge School, an educational organization for children with severe verbal and physical disabilities and its annual supporting Bridge School Benefit concerts, together with his ex-wife Pegi Young. Young has three children: sons Zeke (born during his relationship with actress Carrie Snodgress) and Ben, who were diagnosed with cerebral palsy, and daughter Amber Jean who, like Young, has epilepsy. Young lives on his ranch near La Honda, California. Although he has lived in northern California since the 1970s and sings as frequently about US themes and subjects as he does about his native country, he has retained his Canadian citizenship.

Here’s the link to ‘Tell me why’ from his album, After the Gold Rush:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgxI3PT9IN8

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:13 am 

Enya is an Irish singer-songwriter, musician and producer. She began her music career when she joined her family's band Clannad, in 1980. She left the group in 1982 to pursue a solo career with producer and arranger Nicky Ryan and his wife, poet and lyricist Roma Ryan, developing her distinct sound of multi-tracked vocals, keyboards and elements of folk, classical, church and Celtic music.

As a solo artist, Enya composed the soundtrack to The Frog Prince (1985) and the 1987 BBC documentary series The Celts which was released as her first album, Enya (1987). She then received worldwide success with Watermark (1988) and its lead single "Orinoco Flow", which reached the top 10 in 10 countries. Her follow-up albums Shepherd Moons (1991), The Memory of Trees (1995) and A Day Without Rain (2000) continued her commercial success through the 1990s and 2000s, with each one selling millions worldwide. A Day Without Rain includes the single "Only Time" which reached No. 10 in the US and remains the biggest selling New age album with 16 million copies sold. Following the release of Amarantine (2005) and And Winter Came (2008), Enya took an extended break from writing and recording music. She returned in 2012 and released Dark Sky Island (2015).

Enya is known for her private lifestyle and has yet to undergo a concert tour. She has made 8 albums and sold an estimated 75 million records making her one of the world's best-selling artists.

Here’s one of her best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg1t56JucE4

Enjoy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:11 am 

Led Zeppelin were a UK rock band formed in London in 1968. They consisted of guitarist Jimmy Page, singer Robert Plant, bassist and keyboardist John Paul Jones, and drummer John Bonham. The band's heavy guitar-driven sound, rooted in blues and psychedelia on their early albums, earned them recognition as one of the progenitors of heavy metal, though their unique style drew from a wide variety of influences.

After changing their name from the New Yardbirds, Led Zeppelin signed a deal with Atlantic that gave them considerable artistic freedom. Although the group was initially unpopular with critics, they achieved commercial success with albums such as Led Zeppelin (1969), Led Zeppelin II(1969), Led Zeppelin III (1970), Led Zeppelin IV (1971), Houses of the Holy(1973) and Physical Graffiti (1975). Their 4th album, which features the track "Stairway to Heaven", is among the most popular and influential works in rock music and it helped to secure the group's popularity.

Page wrote most of Led Zeppelin's music while Plant supplied the lyrics. Jones' keyboard-based compositions later became central to the group's catalogue, which became increasingly experimental. The latter half of their career saw a series of record-breaking tours that earned the group a certain reputation. Although they remained commercially successful, their output and touring schedule were limited during the late 70s and the group disbanded following Bonham's death in 1980. In the decades that followed, the surviving members sporadically participated in one-off reunions. The most successful of these was the 2007 Ahmet Ertegun Tribute Concert in London with Jason Bonham taking his late father's place behind the drums.

Led Zeppelin are widely considered one of the most successful, innovative and influential rock bands in history. They are one of the best-selling music artists in the history of audio recording; various sources estimate the group's record sales at 200 to 300 million worldwide. Each of their 9 albums placed in the top 10 of the Billboard album chart and 6 reached #1. Rolling Stone described them as "the heaviest band of all time", "the biggest band of the 70s" and "unquestionably one of the most enduring bands in rock history".

Here’s a link to their definitive work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW_7XBrDBAA

Enjoy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:03 am 

Black Sabbath are a UK rock band formed 1968 by guitarist and main songwriter Tony Iommi, bassist and main lyricist Geezer Butler, singer Ozzy Osbourne and drummer Bill Ward. The band has experienced multiple line-up changes, with guitarist Iommi being the only constant presence in the band. Originally formed as a blues rock band, the group soon adopted the name Black Sabbath and began incorporating occult themes with horror-inspired lyrics and tuned-down guitars. They also composed songs dealing with social instability, political corruption, the dangers of drug abuse and apocalyptic prophecies of the horrors of war.

Osbourne's regular abuse of alcohol and other drugs led to his dismissal from the band in 1979. He was replaced by former Rainbow vocalist Ronnie James Dio. Following 2 albums with Dio, the band endured countless personnel changes in the 1980s and 1990s. In 1992, Iommi and Butler rejoined Dio and drummer Vinny Appice to record Dehumanizer. The original line-up reunited with Osbourne in 1997 and released a live album Reunion. Black Sabbath's 19th studio album, 13, which features all of the original members but Ward, was released in June 2013.

Black Sabbath are often cited as pioneers of heavy metal. The band helped define the genre with releases such as Black Sabbath (1970), Paranoid(1970) and Master of Reality (1971). They were ranked by MTV as the "Greatest Metal Band" of all time.

Here’s a link to their definitive work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNdB5-A9O7g

Turn up the volume to max and enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:40 am 

Deep Purple are a UK rock band formed in 1968. They are considered to be among the pioneers of heavy metal and modern hard rock although their musical approach changed over the years.

Originally formed as a progressive rock band, they shifted to a heavier sound in 1970. Deep Purple, together with Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, have been referred to as the "unholy trinity of UK hard rock and heavy metal in the early to mid-70s".They were listed in the 1975 Guinness Book of World Records as "the globe's loudest band" for a 1972 concert at London's Rainbow Theatre and have sold over 100 million albums worldwide.

Deep Purple have had several line-up changes and an 8-year hiatus (1976–1984). The 1968–1976 line-ups are commonly labelled Mark I, II, III and IV. Their 2nd and most commercially successful line-up featured Ian Gillan (vocals), Jon Lord (organ), Roger Glover (bass), Ian Paice (drums), and Ritchie Blackmore (guitar). This line-up was active from 1969 to 1973 and was revived from 1984 to 1989 and again from 1992 to 1993. The band achieved more modest success in the intervening periods between 1968 and 1969 with the line-up including Rod Evans (vocals) and Nick Simper (bass, backing vocals), between 1974 and 1976 (Tommy Bolin replacing Blackmore in 1975) with the line-up including David Coverdale (vocals) and Glenn Hughes (bass, vocals), and between 1989 and 1992 with the line-up including Joe Lynn Turner (vocals). The band's line-up (currently featuring Ian Gillan and guitarist Steve Morse from 1994) has been much more stable in recent years, although organist Jon Lord's retirement from the band in 2002 (being succeeded by Don Airey) left Ian Paice as the only original Deep Purple member still in the band.

Here’s the link to their definitive tune: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce_yGjUAqk8

Enjoy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:41 am 

The Doors were a US rock band formed in 1965 by vocalist Jim Morrison, keyboardist Ray Manzarek, guitarist Robby Krieger and drummer John Densmore. The band got its name from the title of Aldous Huxley's book The Doors of Perception, which itself was a reference to a quote made by William Blake, "If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. They were unique and among the most controversial and influential rock acts of the 60s, mostly because of Morrison's lyrics and charismatic but unpredictable stage persona. After Morrison's death in 1971 at age 27, the remaining members continued as a trio until disbanding in 1973.

Signing with Elektra Records in 1966, the Doors released 8 albums. All but one hit the Top and went platinum or better. Their self-titled debut album (1967) was their 1st in a series of Top 10 albums in the US, followed by Strange Days (also 1967), Waiting for the Sun (1968), The Soft Parade (1969), Morrison Hotel (1970), Absolutely Live (1970) and L.A. Woman (1971). The band had three million-selling singles in the U.S. with "Light My Fire", "Hello, I Love You" and "Touch Me". After Morrison's death in 1971, the surviving trio released two albums Other Voices and Full Circle with Manzarek and Krieger sharing lead vocals. The 3 remaining members also collaborated on the spoken word recording of Morrison's An American Prayer in 1978 and on the "Orange County Suite" for a 1997 boxed set. Manzarek, Krieger and Densmore reunited in 2000 for an episode of VH1's "Storytellers" and subsequently recorded Stoned Immaculate: The Music of The Doors with a variety of vocalists.
Although the Doors' active career ended in 1973, their popularity has persisted and they have sold over 100 million records worldwide, making them one of the best-selling bands of all time.
In 2002, Manzarek and Krieger started playing together again, branding themselves as the Doors of the 21st Century, with Ian Astbury of the Cult on vocals. Densmore opted to sit out and, along with the Morrison estate, sued the duo over proper use of the band's name and won. After a short time as Riders On the Storm, they settled on the name Manzarek-Krieger and continued to tour until Manzarek's death in 2013.

The band, their work and Jim Morrison are considered important to the counterculture of the 1960s.

Here’s their definitive work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DED812HKWyM

Enjoy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:52 pm 

ABBA were a Swedish group formed in Stockholm in 1972 by Agnetha Fältskog, Björn Ulvaeus, Benny Andersson, and Anni-Frid Lyngstad. They are one of the most commercially successful acts in the history of pop, topping the charts worldwide from 1974 to 1982. They won the Eurovision Song Contest giving Sweden its first win and became the most successful group ever to take part in the competition.

ABBA's record sales figure is uncertain and various estimates range from 140 to over 500 million. This makes them one of the best-selling music artists. ABBA was the first group from a non-English-speaking country to achieve consistent success in the charts of English-speaking countries. The group also enjoyed significant success in Latin America and recorded some of their songs in Spanish.

During the band's active years, Fältskog & Ulvaeus and Lyngstad & Andersson were married. At the height of their popularity, both relationships were suffering and ultimately resulted in the collapse of the Ulvaeus–Fältskog marriage in 1979 and the Andersson–Lyngstad marriage in 1981. These relationship changes were reflected in the group's music with later compositions including more introspective lyrics.

ABBA disbanded in 1982. Andersson and Ulvaeus achieved success writing music for the stage while Lyngstad and Fältskog pursued solo careers. ABBA's music declined in popularity until several films, notably Muriel's Wedding (1994) and The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994), revived public interest in the group and the spawning of several tribute bands. In 1999, ABBA's music was adapted into the successful musical Mamma Mia! that toured world wide. The film, released in 2008, became the highest-grossing film in the UK that year.

Here’s a link to their definitive work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUrzica ... HdZR6L9NFS

Enjoy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:10 pm 

Supertramp are a UK band which formed in 1969 though the name Supertramp wasn’t used by them until 1970. The band's work is characterised by the song writing talents of founders Rick Davies and Roger Hodgson and the prominent use of Wurlitzer electric piano and saxophone.

While the band's early work was mainstream progressive rock, they enjoyed greater commercial success when they incorporated more conventional elements into their work in the mid-1970s, going on to sell more than 60 million albums. Their greatest commercial success was Breakfast in America (1979) which has sold more than 20 million copies.

Though their albums were generally far more successful than their singles, they did enjoy a number of hits throughout the 1970s and 1980s including Hodgson's songs "Give a Little Bit", "The Logical Song", "Take the Long Way Home", "Dreamer", "Breakfast in America", "It's Raining Again", and Davies' songs, "Bloody Well Right", "Goodbye Stranger", and "Cannonball". Since co-founder Hodgson's departure in 1983, Rick Davies has led the band.

Here’s what I consider is their best song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZUE4_PtOk0

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:15 am 

Queen are a UK band that formed in 1970. The line-up was Freddie Mercury (lead vocals, piano), Brian May (guitar, vocals), Roger Taylor (drums, vocals) and John Deacon (bass guitar).

Before forming Queen, May and Taylor played in a band called Smile. Farrokh Bulsara, aka Freddie Mercury, who was a Smile fan, encouraged them to experiment with stage and recording techniques. He joined the band in 1970, suggested the name "Queen" and adopted his stage name. John Deacon was recruited prior to recording their eponymous debut album in 1973.

They first charted in the UK with their 2nd album, Queen II, in 1974, but it was the release of Sheer Heart Attack later that year and A Night at the Opera in 1975, which featured "Bohemian Rhapsody", which brought them success. This song stayed at #1 in the UK for 9 weeks and popularised the music video. Their 1977 album, News of the World, contained "We Will Rock You" and "We Are the Champions". These have become sporting event anthems. By the early 1980s, Queen were one of the biggest stadium rock bands in the world. Their performance at 1985's Live Aid is ranked among the greatest in rock.

In 1991, Mercury died of bronchopneumonia, an AIDS complication, and Deacon retired in 1997. Since then, May and Taylor have occasionally performed together with Paul Rodgers (2004–09) and with Adam Lambert (since 2011).

In November 2014, Queen released a new album, Queen Forever, featuring the vocals of the late Freddie Mercury.

The band have released 18 #1 albums, 18 #1 singles and 10 #1 DVDs. They have sold between 150 million - 300 million records making them one of the world's best-selling music artists of all time.

Here is their best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ9rUzIMcZQ

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:22 am 

T. Rex were an English glam rock band and formed in 1967 by singer-songwriter and guitarist Marc Bolan. The band were initially called Tyrannosaurus Rex and released 4 folk albums. In 1970, Bolan began to change from an acoustic to an electric guitar sound and shortened the name to T. Rex. "Ride a White Swan" was their first song under the new name and became an instant commercial success. From 1970 until 1973, T. Rex encountered in the UK a fantastic popularity and had a run of 11 singles ranked in the UK top 10. In 1971, their album Electric Warrior, received critical acclaim as a pioneering album of glam rock. It reached #1 in the UK. The follow-up, in 1972, The Slider, entered the top 5 in the USA. At the end of 1973, T. Rex started to have less commercial success but kept on recording 1 album per year.

In 1977, Bolan died in a car accident a couple of months after releasing their final studio album Dandy in the Underworld. Since then, T. Rex have continued to exert a vast influence on a variety of artists.

Here’s their finest song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwC-GUHL2gU

Enjoy

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:15 am 

Coldplay are a UK rock band formed in 1996 by vocalist and pianist Chris Martin and guitarist Jonny Buckland. Initially, they used the name Pectoralz until Guy Berryman joined when they changed their name to Starfish. Will Champion then joined as a drummer and backing vocalist and completed the line-up. In 1998, the band were renamed "Coldplay". They then released 3 EPs: Safety (1998), Brothers & Sisters (1999) and The Blue Room (1999) after they signed with Parlophone.

They achieved worldwide fame with their single "Yellow" in 2000. This was followed by their debut album Parachutes released the same year. which was nominated for the Mercury Prize. The band's second album, A Rush of Blood to the Head (2002), was critically acclaimed. Their next release, X&Y, the best-selling album worldwide in 2005. The band's 4th studio album, Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends(2008), was produced by Brian Eno and released again to largely positive reviews. In 2011, they released their 5th album, Mylo Xyloto, which received mixed to positive reviews, topped the charts in over 34 countries and was the UK's best-selling rock album of 2011. In 2014, they released their 6th album, Ghost Stories, which topped the iTunes Store albums charts in over 100 countries. In 2015, the band released their 7th album, A Head Full of Dreams, which reached the top two in most major markets.

Coldplay have sold more than 80 million records worldwide, making them one of the world's best-selling music artists. Coldplay have been an active supporter of various social and political causes, such as Oxfam's Make Trade Fair campaign and Amnesty International. The group have also performed at various charity projects such as Band Aid 20, Live 8, Sound Relief, Hope for Haiti Now: A Global Benefit for Earthquake Relief, The Secret Policeman's Ball, Sport Relief and the UK's Teenage Cancer Trust.

Here’s a link to their finest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4V3Mo6 ... HhSc74l5C7

Enjoy

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:28 am 

Slade were originally known as The N'Betweens, then Ambrose Slade and now Slade II. They are an English glam rock band. In the early 70s, they had 17 consecutive top 20 hits and 6 #1s. Based on the number of singles sold, they were the most successful UK group of the 70s. They were the 1st act to get 3 singles to enter at #1 in the charts. All of the band’s #1s were written by Noddy Holder and Jim Lea. Total UK sales are greater than 6.5 million and their best-selling single, "Merry Xmas Everybody", has sold in excess of one million copies.

Following an unsuccessful move to the USA in 1975, Slade's popularity waned but revived in 1980 when they were last-minute replacements for Ozzy Osbourne at the Reading Rock Festival. The band acknowledged that this was one of the highlights of their career. The original line up split in 1992 but the band reformed later in the year as Slade II. The band has continued, with a number of line-up changes, to the present day. They have now shortened the group name back to Slade.

A number of diverse artists have cited Slade as an influence, including Nirvana, the Smashing Pumpkins, the Ramones, Sex Pistols, the Undertones, the Runaways, the Clash, Kiss, Mötley Crüe, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, Poison, Def Leppard, the Replacements, Cheap Trick and Oasis.

Here’s one of their best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxFHTxI ... KwBpTabwDm

Turn up the volume to max and enjoy.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:09 am 

The Stranglers were formed in 1974 as the Guildford Stranglers. They are a UK rock band who have explored a number of musical genres and have had 23 top 40 UK singles and 17 top 40 UK albums. who emerged via the punk rock scene.

They had major mainstream success with their singles: "Golden Brown", "No More Heroes", "Peaches", "Always the Sun" and "Skin Deep".

Over time, their output gradually grew more refined and sophisticated. Summing up their contribution to popular music, critic Dave Thompson later wrote: "From bad-mannered yobs to purveyors of supreme pop delicacies, the group was responsible for music that may have been ugly and might have been crude – but it was never, ever boring.

Here’s one of their best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWAsI3U2EaE

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:16 am 

The Bee Gees were a pop music group formed in 1958. Their line-up consisted of the Gibb brothers Barry, Robin and Maurice. The trio were successful for most of the time together but they had 2 distinct periods of exceptional success; as a popular music act in the late 60s and early 70s and as prominent performers of the disco music era in the late 70s. The group sang 3-part tight harmonies; Robin's clear vibrato lead vocals were a hallmark of their earlier hits, while Barry's R&B falsetto became their signature sound during the late 70s and 80s. They wrote all of their own hits, as well as writing and producing several major hits for other artists.

Born on the Isle of Man to English parents, the Gibb brothers lived in Chorlton, Manchester, England, until the late 1950s where they formed the Rattlesnakes. The family then moved to Australia. After achieving their 1st chart success in Australia as the Bee Gees with "Spicks and Specks" (their 12th single), they returned to the UK in January 1967 where producer Robert Stigwood began promoting them.

The Bee Gees have sold more than 220 million records worldwide, making them one of the world's best-selling music artists of all time. They were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1997. Their citation says "Only Elvis Presley, the Beatles, Michael Jackson, Garth Brooks and Paul McCartney have outsold the Bee Gees.

Following Maurice's sudden death in January 2003 at the age of 53, Barry and Robin retired the group's name. In 2009 Robin announced that he and Barry had agreed that the Bee Gees would re-form and perform again. Robin died in May 2012 at the age of 62, after a prolonged struggle with cancer and other health problems, leaving Barry as the only surviving member of the group.

Here’s a link to one of their songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZY9oYS ... -Y_bdM_gox

Enjoy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next