Bob Lind's Message Board

let's talk about it
Click to return to BobLind.com
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who Is This Guy ?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:39 pm 

Who is this guy ? Mr. Lind moved to Facebook a long time ago. However it would be nice to occasionally visit this site and perhaps hear something about Bob and not from " Who ?" I've been a member of this board since inception and just don't get it.

Post subject: Re: Who Is This Guy ?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:05 pm 

bill wrote:
Who is this guy ? Mr. Lind moved to Facebook a long time ago. However it would be nice to occasionally visit this site and perhaps hear something about Bob and not from " Who ?" I've been a member of this board since inception and just don't get it.

I've posted several times to explain what I'm doing here. Perhaps if you took the time to read some of my posts, rather than bitching and moaning, you would understand. I've explained several times but will explain once again.

Some time ago, quite by accident, I came across this site. My elation quickly turned to sadness when I saw what a sad state this forum was in. It wasn't clear whether the forum had actually died or was merely in the process of dying because the posts were so few and far between.

I could have just left it to die a natural death and moved on. However, I decided to stay and attempt to revive it because I care.

I've seen a number of forums die a death because the members only discussed one topic. Once the topic has been exhausted, the members get bored, move on and the forum dies. This is obviously what happened to this forum.

Forums which are lively and vibrant have a main theme and lots of non-related themes. This provides diversity and keeps the forum vibrant and active.

This forum died because Bob was the only topic of conversation and, as we saw, it wasn't enough to sustain a vibrant forum. No disrespect to Bob intended.

I tried to introduce a range of topics. So, instead of the forum being one that was solely about Bob, I tried to make it into a forum that discussed what Bob's fans wanted to talk about.

It looks as though this approach isn't working. However, the previous approach didn't work either. Had it, the forum wouldn't have resembled a graveyard.

There's a post from Bob somewhere on this forum thanking me for my efforts. Bob isn't upset by my posts, isn't confused and 'gets it'. I don't understand why you don't get it. It's hardly rocket science.

If you feel so strongly about the forum, why don't you stop bitching and moaning and write some posts yourself?

Also, if you don't care for my posts, please feel free to exercise your right not to read them. I will not be offended.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:00 pm 
Admonkeystrator

I did a little collating of threads for clarity's sake.

I do think we're walking uphill here against a technological/social pressure that Facebook is exerting on all online forums. Or fora, if you prefer. Someday, Facebook will devolve into something else, I think - but it hasn't happened yet.

A thriving community really needs at least five different conversations with entirely different participants (so at least 10 active members, if not more) to really seem healthy to me. Nearly all the healthy communities I see nowadays are all people trying to fix things and appealing to expert problem-solvers for advice (Linux installations, DAW settings, broken appliances). Every "fan" community I know of seems to have moved primarily to some kind of social media... or else transformed into comment threads under, like, regularly posted reviews or podcasts or something (in other words, a small group making a thing every couple of weeks and their readers/listeners talking about the newest thing for a couple of days). That's the phase we're in.

Likely to change eventually.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:31 am 

grant wrote:
I did a little collating of threads for clarity's sake.

I do think we're walking uphill here against a technological/social pressure that Facebook is exerting on all online forums. Or fora, if you prefer. Someday, Facebook will devolve into something else, I think - but it hasn't happened yet.

A thriving community really needs at least five different conversations with entirely different participants (so at least 10 active members, if not more) to really seem healthy to me. Nearly all the healthy communities I see nowadays are all people trying to fix things and appealing to expert problem-solvers for advice (Linux installations, DAW settings, broken appliances). Every "fan" community I know of seems to have moved primarily to some kind of social media... or else transformed into comment threads under, like, regularly posted reviews or podcasts or something (in other words, a small group making a thing every couple of weeks and their readers/listeners talking about the newest thing for a couple of days). That's the phase we're in.

Likely to change eventually.

I'm back from moving home and vacation. I'd forgotten just how stressful moving home can be.

Grant - Excellent post and oh so true except I would add that not only do we need at least five entirely different conversations, my feeling is that the topics of the conversations need to be entirely different too. You may have meant this in your post but was unsure.

At the moment, we have none of this. We don't have 10 active members (if only) and we certainly don't have 5 conversations in-flight either.

The rate of change in the world is ever increasing. This is especially true of social media. Quite where that will go is anyone's guess except that it is causing a certain polarisation in society. One faction is using it more and more and for ever diverse purposes whilst the other is shunning it completely. For the record, I'm of the latter persuasion.

Will this forum eventually cease to exist? I sincerely hope not but .....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:56 am 

Who is anyone?

Me, I see myself as a die hard Bob Lind fan who loves to access this forum to learn of Lind related news.

Personally, I don't have a problem with post-ees (?) who post personal philosophical enlightenments - as long as they're Lind related, etc etc etc.

But, then again, it's not my forum, dudes...

("Smoozin' the King", indeed...! :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:06 am 

Danny Harris wrote:
Who is anyone?

Me, I see myself as a die hard Bob Lind fan who loves to access this forum to learn of Lind related news.

Personally, I don't have a problem with post-ees (?) who post personal philosophical enlightenments - as long as they're Lind related, etc etc etc.

But, then again, it's not my forum, dudes...

("Smoozin' the King", indeed...! :)

A) You say that you access this forum to learn of Lind-related news. That's great, in theory. In practice, the posts are so few and far between, there's more chance of being struck by lightning than of finding out anything new about Bob on this forum.

B) Having a single topic doesn't work and hasn't worked on this forum. This doesn't work and hasn't worked on any forum that I've ever come across either. Sadly, the topic 'Bob Lind' is no exception.

C) I wasn't "Smoozin' the King" as you so quaintly put it. I was merely posting a variety of topics and haulin' them up the flag pole to see who saluted them. Bob then thanked me for my efforts. (The green-eyed monster puts in an appearance, no?)

D) In a previous post, I did ask that you actually read my posts before commenting on them. Looks like my comment fell on deaf ears. Tien.

E) It's 'Posters' not 'Postees'.

F) Please feel free to look up the term cognitive bias.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:37 am 

Peace, Brother...

You misunderstand.

My quote was my joy at the outrageous opening lyric by The Man Lind - no reference to your good self intended or indeed considered.

Keep on doing what you feel you should do....

"Let it make you beautiful, let it sing you like a song..." :) 8) :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:41 pm 

Danny Harris wrote:
Peace, Brother...

You misunderstand.

My quote was my joy at the outrageous opening lyric by The Man Lind - no reference to your good self intended or indeed considered.

Keep on doing what you feel you should do....

"Let it make you beautiful, let it sing you like a song..." :) 8) :wink:

Yeh, man, I'm cool with that.

Peace unto you too, bro'.