Bob Lind's Message Board

let's talk about it
Click to return to BobLind.com
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mondrian's Blog
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:19 am 

I sit back sometimes and wonder at the gross stupidity of some people. Yesterday was one of those times.

A business owner and some of his staff were being interviewed on a TV programme.

The staff, amongst which were some Polish people, stated that they no longer felt safe or welcome here in the UK. They were genuinely concerned.

The business owner expressed concern for his workforce and seemed to be genuinely concerned for their plight.

He also expressed concern for his business. Much of the raw materials that his business uses are not produced in the UK and therefore has no option but to import them. Of course, the raw materials are traded in Dollars, as are a lot of the commodities that the UK purchases, such as oil. He stated that unless Sterling recovers, the cost of his raw materials would rise and he would be left with no option other than to increase prices which, he stated, would have an adverse affect on his business. He seemed very genuine and very concerned.

Immediately afterwards, the head of the Chamber of Commerce, who obviously voted to leave the EU, was interviewed. Did he comment about the fear being expressed by the Polish workforce? No. He blamed currency traders for speculating in the currency markets and causing Sterling’s instability. He stated that Sterling would stabilise in the near future ‘once the dust had settled’. Well Mr Chamber of Commerce, it’s no good criticising currency traders for speculating in the currency market. It’s what they are paid to do. It’s what happens in a free-market economy. The currency traders didn’t destabilise Sterling. Those who voted to exit the EU did that. All speculators do is to look at the facts and work towards Sterling’s new level. Yes Mr Chamber of Commerce, Sterling will, eventually, stabilise. It may not, however, stabilise at an exchange rate that the UK will be happy with. Mr Chamber of Commerce also said that it gave Britain the opportunity to trade with other nations. This is true. However, it is doubtful that the trading terms will be as favourable as they could have been had we not left the EU. Also, we can’t trade outside of the EU until we have left it. This won’t be for at least two years. Meanwhile, we are saddled for this period at least, with an unfavourable exchange rate which will cause inflation and unemployment. Also, as I stated earlier, a lot of commodities are traded in Dollars. A weak Sterling is a disadvantage regardless of who we buy our raw materials from. Mr Chamber of Commerce, you are an idiot, and an ill-informed fool at that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:53 am 

This morning, a farmer was interviewed on a TV programme. He'd voted to leave the EU. That was his democratic right and I have no issue with it. What came next I did take issue with.

He asked whether he would still have unrestricted access to the EU markets. His livelihood as a farmer depended on it. Well, farmer Brown, if you needed unrestricted access to EU markets, perhaps you should have voted to remain in the EU - not voted to leave - doh. The answer to your question though is yes, you will be given unrestricted access to the EU markets provided Brussels allows the UK to have unrestricted access. That has yet to be decided. If Brussels decides not to give Britain unrestricted access, which they could, then farmer Brown will be up sh1t creek. Brussels does give unrestricted access to EU markets to non-EU countries. However, those non-EU countries are required to abide by Brussels' rules and regulations - including the infamous 'Brussels red tape' (a British invention by the way) and THE FREE MOVEMENT OF PEOPLE - which the EU-exit brigade were so against. So basically, if Britain wants unrestricted EU market access, it is going to have to accept those very issues that it left the EU for in the first place. The only difference is, in the past, Britain was able to affect EU policies because it was part of the EU. Now, it has no say in those policies. Looks like a lose-lose vote to me.

The farmer went on to ask whether he would continue to receive EU subsidies. The answer, farmer Brown, is no. EU subsidies only go to EU farmers and Britain will soon no longer be in the EU. I could have suggested, farmer Brown, that if you wanted to still receive EU farming subsidies, you should have voted to remain in the EU, but it's too late now, isn't it?

The farmer went on to ask if he could still apply for EU funding. The answer is yes - you can APPLY, but, because you aren't in the EU, you wont get any. Farmer Brown ought to have considered this before voting to exit the EU.

This shows a farmer with little foresight. One could ask on what basis he voted to leave the EU but I suspect that I would receive a rather garbled and illogical answer which would only add to the frustration that I currently feel. The farmer is deserving of everything that it is coming to him. My sympathy is in short supply at this time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:51 am 

100 years ago today, the World War I battle of the Somme began. It ended in November 1916.

The British Army lost 420,000 men during the battle, including almost 60,000 on the first day alone. The French Army lost 200,000 men and the German Army 500,000 men.

The battle personifies completely man's inhumanity to man. What a tragic and massive loss of human life.

The EU was specifically set up, amongst other reasons, to prevent war from breaking out in Europe ever again and here Britain is, 100 years later, walking away from Europe. Have we learned so little? Tien.

After much bluff and bluster, Boris Johnson decided not to run for the Conservative Party leadership and the PM's job after Michael Gove withdrew his support and threw his own hat into the ring. Boris is the kind of guy that you would want to go down the pub with for a drink, it has to be said, but you wouldn't want to see him with his finger on the nuclear trigger. He's more of an amiable buffoon than a statesman. Mayor of London is one thing. PM is quite another. Effectively, this is what Gove said about him. Besides, we all know that Boris is pro-EU and that he only voted to leave in order to challenge Cameron and become PM. Well, now that the cat is out of the bag, Boris isn't so popular, particularly as he lied about the £320m which will not now be going to the NHS.

Th Governor of the Bank of England, Mark Carney, this morning stated that the UK's economy is weakening and steps will be taken during the Summer to support it. Those steps may include further Quantitative Easing and further reductions in interest rates which are already at a historic low (0.5%). You did this to yourself Britain.

A UK company that makes crash test dummies of all things had, before the referendum, made a decision to expand within the UK. This morning, they announced that they have decided to still expand but not within the UK due to a lack of skilled workers. They now plan to open up an office in mainland Europe. Well done Britain. You chose well when you voted to leave the EU (heavy sarcasm). I suspect that this will not be the last such report that we read.

Today, Wales, the last remaining 'Home' nation, takes on Belgium in the European Cup. Good luck Wales. Let's hope that you do better against Belgium than England's pretty boys did against Iceland.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:09 am 

What a week that was.

Well done Wales for beating Belgium 3 - 1. It puts the performance of England's pretty boys against Iceland in the shade, particularly as Belgium are rated way above Wales.

Yesterday, an EU exit voter was interviewed for TV and asked for his opinion on his vote now that we are one week on from the referendum, particularly as the economy appears to be faltering and Sterling has taken a big hit. The EU exit voter stated that 'The economic woes will be worth it since we now have our country back.' Quite who we have taken our country back from is unclear because the UK is still where it always was - in the Atlantic just off the coast of France.

Quite where this myth that the UK is governed by Brussels has come from is anyone's guess. As Tony Blair once said, "the EU never prevented me from implementing any of my policies." Also, the UK has MEPs that sit in the European Parliament - just like all the other EU member states. We have a vote on EU policies - just as all the other EU member states have.

There's also this myth that Britain is overrun with immigrants. When asked to estimate the proportion of immigrants in the population, most UK nationals think that it is about 15%. The reality is very different. Actually, it's less than 5%. And there, right there, is the issue. It would appear that people are basing their actions on perceptions, rather than on facts.

Well, when the UK goes into a full-blown recession, as it probably will, I do hope that those who voted to leave the EU are satisfied with their choice.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:26 am 

The homophobia in Britain may only be restricted to certain areas and against certain nationalities. It may only relate to a tiny minority. However, this type of thing makes the national headlines, not only in this country, but in the rest of the world. Britain currently makes a tidy sum educating the world's students. It has almost become an industry in itself. If Britain is labelled as homophobic by the world's press, it could be that students will no longer want to come to Britain to study.

Is this how we wish to be seen by the rest of the world? Homophobic and intolerant?

Yes Britain, you may "have your country back" as you quaintly put it, but at what cost?

Did you really lose your country in the first place?

Have you really got it back?

Are you sure?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:40 am 

Yesterday, we saw France take Iceland apart. They were 4 - 0 up by half-time. It was a drubbing. France switched off in the second half but still won 5 - 2. So France decimated the team that made England's pretty boys look less than ordinary. Well done France and well done Iceland.

On Saturday, the Manx Rocket, Mark Cavendish, won the opening stage of the Tour de France and, in doing so, gained the Maillot Jaune. Well done Mark. He lost it on day 2 but it wasn't an ideal stage for him. After the second stage he said that he did his best to win and respect the Maillot Jaune but it was never going to happen. And so it didn't. Well done Mark and, I dare say, there's a few more stage wins in him yet.

Alberto Contador has had two crashes in two days. The crash on day 1 was particularly nasty. He has now lost a total of 48 seconds to Chris Froome and Nairo Quintano. Yesterday, Richie Port had a late puncture and a particularly tardy wheel change by a neutral mechanic. He lost 1 minute 45 seconds to Froome and Quintano. The lost time, in both cases, are huge at this stage and, IMHO, are insurmountable. Froome disagrees and has stated that it is 'too early to write the two off.' We'll see.

Boris Johnson has been uttering his garbage again. He's complaining that those who voted to remain in the EU are complaining that the exiteers are not making their policies known and are causing uncertainty and unrest in the financial markets. Well, Boris, the reason why the Exiteers are not making their policies known is because they don't actually have any. They have some hazy ideas that Britain will begin trading with the rest of the world but that is about as far as it goes. As one of the spokesmen for the Exiteers said, a few days ago, 'They had a plan to win the referendum. What the plan didn't do was to go beyond the win'. Yes, I know that this sounds ridiculous, but that's how ridiculous the Exiteers are and have been. Little wonder that the financial markets are in turmoil.

Happy 4th July America!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:43 am 

Today is the first day of voting for a new Conservative Party leader and Prime Minister. Hold on to your seats. It could get bumpy. Theresa May is the favourite but the favourite in such elections doesn't have a great record. Liam Fox is forecast to go out in this round. We'll see.

Corbyn still refuses to go and, if challenged for the leadership, has stated that he will stand again. If he does, and gets the support of the unions, he'll get re-elected with a large majority. The party will then split.

Mark Cavendish, the Manx Missile, took stage 3 of Le Tour after winning a photo finish against Andre Greipel. Well done Mark. He now wears the Green Jersey.

Wales take on the might of Portugal tonight. Wales, good luck. You may need some.

Andy Murray, yesterday, breezed into the quarter finals of Wimbledon with a straight sets victory over Australia's Kyrgios. Murray now faces Tsonga in the next round.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:51 am 

Wales take on the might of Portugal tonight. Wales, good luck. You may need some.

Yesterday, in stage 4 of the Tour De France, our man Mark Cavendish, got boxed in close to the finish and could only come 8th. It was won in a photo by Macel Kittel from Bryan Coquard. Well done Marcel. Peter Sagan came 3rd and keeps the Yellow Jersey. Froome finished safely in the peloton. Yesterday's result means that Sagan is in Green and Yellow and that Cavendish has lost the Green Jersey.

Yesterday, round 1 of the Conservative Party voting took place. Liam Fox was eliminated and Crabb dropped out leaving May, Leadsome and Gove to fight it out. With that shower, may the lord have mercy on our souls.

Oscar Pistorious was today given a 6 year jail sentence for murdering his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp. The judge said that justice will not be served by imposing the maximum 15 years jail sentence and that there were compelling reasons not to do so. After sentencing, the judge stated that she would be available today to hear appeals. Previous reports intimate that the state is free to appeal against the sentence if it is felt to be too lenient but Pistorious may not appeal.

Today, the Chilcot report is released. For the uninitiated, this is the report which has been 7 years in the making into the Iraq war. Early reports state that it will be critical of both individuals and entities.

The mother of a soldier who died in the conflict has called for Tony Blair, the PM at the time, to be impeached and sent to the Hague and tried for war crimes. If only.

A senior ex-soldier, who fought in Iraq, stated that he felt, at the time, that it was a noble and just cause and was proud of what he and his men did. Looking back, he now states that, although he felt that he did his duty, he wonders why the MoD were overly keen to send men into battle that were ill-equipped for the task and why the security services got the intelligence so wrong. The intelligence stated that there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and yet, when troops arrived, none were found.

It has already been mooted that Blair, long before the war with Iraq was sanctioned by the UK government, had already decided to invade Iraq and remove Hussain and that he put pressure on the Security Services (MI6) to provided the answers that he needed to justify his actions.

The Chilcot report contains 2.6 million words. It has already been seen by families who lost loved ones in the war. It will be released to the public later today. Chilcot will speak about the report at 11 pm today. Let's hope that it isn't a whitewash.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:23 am 

Who are you? Why are you writing all this on here? Is this all spam? You are being ridiculous.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:10 am 

rob68 wrote:
Who are you? Why are you writing all this on here? Is this all spam? You are being ridiculous.

Had you read some of my other threads, you would have realised that I am no spammer nor being ridiculous.

I was just in my teens when Bob released EB. I never forgot it. Earlier this year, I came across this forum quite by chance. I was saddened when I saw its state. I couldn't determine whether it was dead or just dying.

I've seen a number of "similar" forums that have only one topic of interest. They all die. I guess that the members just simply run out of things to say. Bob is indeed an interesting guy. However, even he has limits.

In my experience, successful, vibrant and active forums have a main topic and any number of diverse topics of discussion.

My question for this forum is this: Should this forum be about Bob, the whole Bob and nothing but Bob or should it be about what Bob's fans want to talk about. The latter, of course, includes non-Bob subjects.

The forum has tried the former. Let's face it, it didn't work. When I arrived, the forum was all but dead. I'm now trying the latter and have created threads on all manner of subjects including: Tune of the day, Horse racing tips, Radio Luxemburg, Joke of the day etc. I'm now writing a blog.

Can I suggest that before you criticise and suggest that someone is being ridiculous, perhaps you actually gather some facts first? It would be appreciated.

In addition, had you, and others, contributed to this forum on a regular basis, the forum would not have deteriorated as it has.

Oh, by the way, somewhere on here is a post from Bob himself thanking me for my efforts in keeping this forum going. Bob, obviously doesn't feel that I'm being ridiculous.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:49 am 

Wales were beaten 2 - 0 by Portugal last night. The country should feel proud none-the-less.

Yesterday's stage of the Tour de France was won by Greg Van Avermaet by 5 mins. 11 secs. That puts him in the leader's Yellow Jersey by 2 mins 11 secs from Thomas de Gendt. Sagan, although losing his Yellow Jersey as expected, retained his Green Jersey. De Gendt is is the Maillot Point.

Today sees round 2 of the Conservative Party vote for the next leader. It's now a choice between May, Leadsome and Gove. What a choice.

The Chilcot report is now being digested in earnest. The main findings are that Blair decided to go to war with Iraq long before Parliament gave the go ahead and that Blair simply looked for evidence to support that view and ignored that evidence that didn't. He made have even spun the evidence in his favour. Chilcot was of the opinion that although Blair tried to convince others that there was very strong evidence that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction, the evidence wasn't as strong as Blair made out. The Security Services were aware that the evidence was suspect but didn't challenge Blair's statements to the UK public. Chilcot also stated that the UK armed forces were ill equipped to go to war in the Middle East and that the war failed to achieve many of its aims in that today's Iraq is far less stable, less free and less safe than in Saddam's era. One Iraqi commented that, in Saddam's era, there was only one tyrant. Now, there are thousands.

Chilcot also remarked that the UK were also involved in a war in Afghanistan and didn't have the resources to fight in one war, let alone in two.

Childcot's stated that the invasion of Iraq would increase the threat that terrorists would attack the UK - not decrease it. He also stated that Blair was made aware of this. He also stated that the threat from Saddam was nowhere near as great as Blair intimated and that not every option had been exhausted before Blair went to war.

Chilcot also stated that whether the war was legal was in dispute but fell short of actually stating that it was illegal.

Chilcot stopped short of stating that Blair lied but the only reasonable conclusion to draw was that he had lied.

Jeremy Corbyn certainly thought that Blair lied to the country and to Parliament because he apologised that it was a member of his party that did the lying.

There have been calls for Blair to be impeached and tried in the Hague for war crimes. The legality of this is currently being investigated. This writer hopes that he is.

Meanwhile, Sterling fell below $1.28 yesterday. The stock markets of several European countries also fell.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:56 am 

France beat Germany 2 - 0 in the European Cup. It's a France Portugal final on Sunday.

Mark Cavendish won yesterday's stage of the Tour De France ahead of Marcel Killel and putting himself back in the Green Jersey. Well done Mark. That takes his stage tally this year to 3. Greg Van Avermaet is still in the Yellow Jersey and Thomas De Gendt is still in the Polka Dot Jersey.

The race for leader of the Conservative party and PM is now down to May and Leadsome. If there was a god and I believed in him, I would now be praying because they are both totally useless. The EU referendum is still having its affect on the UK's political landscape and there will probably be repercussions for some years to come.

The Chilcot report seems to be dying a death. The world and the UK may have moved on. The report may be overdue - too overdue. Had it been written five years ago, there may have been some major political fall-out. May be now is too late for it to have any impact. Let's see.

Meanwhile, in the good old US of A, Dallas is in the news once again. Five police officers are dead and six others are wounded during a demonstration against police brutality after 2 Black men were shot and killed by the police this week. The right to bear arms comes at a heavy price.

To those who think that I am a spammer and am being ridiculous: Please feel free to exercise your right not to read my posts. I will not be offended.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:52 pm 

Well have fun reading your own posts as no one else seems to visit here anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:29 am 

rob68 wrote:
Well have fun reading your own posts as no one else seems to visit here anymore.

One again. Rob68, you really do need to check your facts before you post. You are beginning to look ridiculous. Lots of people visit this forum. For example, my 'Mondrian's Gambling Joint' thread got almost 4,300 views. My 'Song for the Day' thread got almost 3,600 views. These stats imply that, contrary to your belief, people still do visit this forum. The issue is that few people post.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:05 am 

We are moving home soon. We went house hunting yesterday to a part of the country that we've never been to. It's quite a pretty area. Some parts are even stunning.

We went to look at one house yesterday morning. We had a lot of difficulty finding it so we asked some of the locals. We told one couple that we met that we didn't know the area and asked for directions. They said, and I quote "Turn left at the petrol station and the road that you are looking for is on your right." "Where's the petrol station?", we asked. "On such and such Lane", they said. "Look", we said "We DON'T KNOW THE AREA, "where's such and such lane?". "it's the road on which the Library is situated", came the reply. After asking someone else, we finally got to the area where the house was located but still couldn't find the road that we were looking for. Finally, we saw some you adults and asked for directions. One of them said, "it's the road on which my girlfriend lives", in a manner that implied that we knew his girlfriend and where she lived. One guy even directed us to where he lived, rather than to where we needed to be.

It appears that we have lost the ability to direct people to destinations without the aid of Google Maps.

Yesterday, Leadsome dropped a clanger when she implied that she would make a better Prime Minister because she'd had children. For the uninitiated, her rival, May, hasn't had children.

Meanwhile, in the Tour de France, Chris Froome took stage 8 and the lead in the tour as Van Avermaet lost 25 minutes. Mark Cavendish finished well enough to retain the Green Jersey.

Andy Murray faces the Canadian, Milos Raonic, in the Wimbledon final after beating Berdych in straight sets. Raonic beat Federer in a five set thriller. Good luck Andy.

Portugal play France in the Euro final this evening. Good luck France.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next