Bob Lind's Message Board

let's talk about it
Click to return to BobLind.com
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Song for the day
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:40 am 

Pet Shop Boys are an English electronic pop duo, formed in London in 1981 and consisting of Neil Tennant (main vocals, keyboards, occasional guitar) and Chris Lowe (keyboards, occasional vocals).
Pet Shop Boys have sold more than 50 million records worldwide, and are the most successful duo in UK music history. They have been nominated for 3 Brit awards and 6 Grammys. Since 1985, they have achieved 42 Top 30 singles and 22 Top 10 hits in the UK Singles Chart, including 4 UK number 1s: "West End Girls" (also number 1 on the US Billboard Hot 100), "It's a Sin", an acclaimed cover of "Always on My Mind" and "Heart". Other hit songs include a remake of "Go West", "Opportunities (Let's Make Lots of Money)" (satire of Thatcherism) and "What Have I Done to Deserve This?" in a duet with Dusty Springfield. At the 2009 Brit Awards, Pet Shop Boys received an award for their outstanding contribution to music.

Here’s their definitive single: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIBHm0O7GqE

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:29 am 

James Marshall "Jimi" Hendrix (born Johnny Allen Hendrix) was a US rock guitarist, singer, and songwriter. Although his mainstream career spanned only 4 years, he is widely regarded as one of the most influential electric guitarists in the history of popular music and one of the most celebrated musicians of the 20th century.

He was born in Seattle and began playing guitar at the age of 15. In 1961, he enlisted in the US Army and trained as a paratrooper in the 101st Airborne Division; he was granted an honorable discharge the following year. Soon afterward, he moved to Clarksville, Tennessee and began playing gigs on the chitlin' circuit, earning a place in the Isley Brothers' backing band and later with Little Richard, with whom he continued to work through mid-1965. He then played with Curtis Knight and the Squires before moving to the UK in late 1966 after being discovered by Linda Keith, who in turn interested bassist Chas Chandler of the Animals in becoming his 1st manager. Within months, Hendrix had earned 3 UK top 10 hits with the Jimi Hendrix Experience: "Hey Joe", "Purple Haze", and "The Wind Cries Mary". He achieved fame in the US after his performance at the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967, and in 1968 his 3rd and final studio album, Electric Ladyland, reached number one in the US; it was Hendrix's most commercially successful release and his 1st and only number 1 album. The world's highest-paid performer, he headlined the Woodstock Festival in 1969 and the Isle of Wight Festival in 1970 before his death from barbiturate-related asphyxia on September 18, 1970, at the age of 27.

Hendrix was inspired musically by US rock and roll and electric blues. He favoured overdriven amplifiers with high volume and gain and was instrumental in utilizing the previously undesirable sounds caused by feedback. He helped to popularize the use of a wah-wah pedal in mainstream rock, and was the 1st artist to use stereo phasing effects in music recordings. Holly George-Warren of Rolling Stone commented: "Hendrix pioneered the use of the instrument as a sound source. Players before him had experimented with feedback and distortion, but Hendrix turned those effects and others into a controlled, fluid vocabulary every bit as personal as the blues with which he began.

Hendrix was the recipient of several music awards during his lifetime and posthumously. In 1967, readers of Melody Maker voted him the Pop Musician of the Year, and in 1968, Rolling Stone declared him the Performer of the Year.Disc and Music Echo honoured him with the World Top Musician of 1969 and in 1970, Guitar Player named him the Rock Guitarist of the Year. Rolling Stone ranked the band's three studio albums, Are You Experienced, Axis: Bold as Love, and Electric Ladyland, among the 100 greatest albums of all time, and they ranked Hendrix as the greatest guitarist and the sixth greatest artist of all time.

Here’s his definitive song – All along the watchtower: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLV4_xaYynY

Turn up the volume to max and enjoy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:21 am 

Sir George Ivan "Van" Morrison, OBE is a Northern Irish singer, songwriter and musician. He has received 6 Grammy Awards, the 1994 Brit Award for Outstanding Contribution to Music, and has been inducted into both the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the Songwriters Hall of Fame. In 2016 he was knighted for his musical achievements and his services to tourism and charitable causes in Northern Ireland.

Known as "Van the Man" to his fans, Morrison started his professional career when, as a teenager in the late 1950s, he played a variety of instruments including guitar, harmonica, keyboards and saxophone for various Irish showbands covering the popular hits of the day. He rose to prominence in the mid-1960s as the lead singer of the Northern Irish R&B band Them, with whom he recorded the garage band classic "Gloria". His solo career began under the pop-hit oriented guidance of Bert Berns with the release of the hit single "Brown Eyed Girl" in 1967. After Berns' death, Warner Bros. Records bought out his contract and allowed him 3 sessions to record Astral Weeks(1968). Even though this album would gradually garner high praise, it was initially a poor seller; Moondance (1970), however, established Morrison as a major artist, and he built on his reputation throughout the 1970s with a series of acclaimed albums and live performances. Morrison continues to record and tour, producing albums and live performances that sell well and are generally warmly received, sometimes collaborating with other artists, such as Georgie Fame and the Chieftains. In 2008 he performed Astral Weeks live for the first time since 1968.

Much of Morrison's music is structured around the conventions of soul music and R&B, such as the popular singles "Brown Eyed Girl", "Jackie Wilson Said (I'm in Heaven When You Smile)", "Domino" and "Wild Night". An equal part of his catalogue consists of lengthy, loosely connected, spiritually-inspired musical journeys that show the influence of Celtic tradition, jazz and stream-of-consciousness narrative, such as the album Astral Weeks and lesser-known ones such as Veedon Fleece and Common One. The two strains together are sometimes referred to as "Celtic soul".

Here’s the link to his definitive work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG8Ect3Xn7w

Enjoy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:30 am 

no tips to day

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:36 am 

Sean Dunne wrote:
no tips to day

Yes there is: My tip is go to Honest Mondian's Gambling Thread. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:11 pm 

I was ambling through the membership list of this fabled forum when I noticed that some members have web sites. I’ve decided to visit them one by one. Some are no longer available but I’m happy to say that some still are. One of the first that I visited was that of Mark Wirtz.

Mark was born in Strasbourg, He is an Alsatian pop music record producer, composer, singer, musician, author and comedian. As a producer, Wirtz's most famous output is from the mid to late 1960s, when he worked at Abbey Road Studios with Beatles’ engineer Geoff Emerick, under contract to EMI. Wirtz is chiefly known for the never-completed A Teenage Opera concept album. Another track by Wirtz, the 1966 "A Touch of Velvet, A Sting of Brass" under the name Mood Mosaic, with The Ladybirds as backing singers, became well known in Germany as the theme tune for the Radio Bremen show Musikladen and was used by some radio stations and DJs in the UK as ident, notably Radio Caroline.

His signature style has been described by Mojo magazine as "Phil Spector scoring Camberwick Green", a sound most perfectly encapsulated on Wirtz's masterpiece, "Grocer Jack (Excerpt from A Teenage Opera)". This 1967 hit single is a densely orchestrated psychedelic marvel, which tells the whimsical and sad tale of an old man ("Grocer Jack"), who dies unappreciated, except by the children who loved and miss him.

I have chosen this blast from the past as being definitive of Mark’s music. I was an avid fan of Radio Caroline. One of their DJs used it as their ident. I’m glad that I came across it again after all these years because I loved the track as a kid but never knew its name. Well, now I know. Thank you so much, Mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yID8Xb7qKM

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:25 am 

First heard Bob on radio caroline.Dont be concerned was album of the week I told Bob about this when he played Bristol few years back

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:01 am 

Sean Dunne wrote:
First heard Bob on radio caroline.Dont be concerned was album of the week I told Bob about this when he played Bristol few years back

I was a Radio 270 kid myself. The signal was much stronger than Caroline's. I heard Radio 270 close down. I was so sad. I never did forgive the government for doing that. I was so mad. I think that it was the first time that I really understood just how much control governments have over our lives. It gave us Radio 1 after it outlawed pirate radio stations but it just wasn't the same somehow. Pirate radio stations sounded interesting and exciting. Radio 1, courtesy of the BBC, didn't quite have the same punch. I was rebellious and refused to listen to it. I also listened to Radio Luxembourg in the evening. The adverts for Horace Batchelor of K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M used to drive me nuts. I hated the way the signal faded in and out but hey - it was all worth it. My parents thought that I was in the land of nod. I wasn't. I had my tranny switched on and hidden under the bed covers with the ear-piece plugged in. It was odd but some years later I worked in the building next to the one that Radio Luxembourg used to transmit from way back in the early days when I used to listen to it as a child. It still had the red and white transmitter mast on its roof. When I saw it for the first time, it wasn't quite what I imagined. It was a very ordinary looking building.

Ahh, nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:12 am 

I was ambling through the membership list of this fabled forum when I noticed that some members have web sites. I’ve decided to visit them one by one. Some are no longer available but I’m happy to say that some still are. The second that I visited was that of Carol Kaye.

Carol Kaye is an American musician, known as one of the most prolific and widely heard bass guitarists, playing on an estimated 10,000 recordings in a career spanning over 50 years.

As a session musician, Kaye was the bassist on many Phil Spector and Brian Wilson productions in the 1960s and 1970s. She recorded guitar on Ritchie Valens' "La Bamba" and is credited with the bass tracks on several Simon & Garfunkel hits and many film scores by Quincy Jones and Lalo Schifrin. One of the most popular albums Carol contributed to was the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds.

Here’s the link to Richie Valens’ La Bamba: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp6j5HJ-Cok

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:53 am 

208Luxy Pete Murrey Jack Jackson Alan Freeman Teen/Twenty disc club by you know who Sunday nite top twenty like you on hidden trany great stuff.cheers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:43 pm 

The Swingle Singers are a vocal group originally formed in 1962 in Paris, France by Ward Swingle with Anne Germain, Jeanette Baucomont, Jean Cussac, Christiane Legrand and others. In my opinion, this is “vocology” at it’s very, very best.

Until 2011, the group consisted of 8 voices: 2 sopranos, 2 altos, 2 tenors and 2 basses. The French group performed and recorded typically with only a double bass and drums as accompaniment. The current group performs primarily a cappella. In 1973, the original French group disbanded and Ward Swingle moved to London and recruited all new members who debuted as Swingle II.

The group later performed and recorded under the name The Swingles and then,The New Swingle Singers then simply, The Swingle Singers. Recently, the group began once again operating under the name The Swingles. Since the London group's incarnation, the group has never disbanded. As individual members have left the group, the remaining members have held auditions for replacements.

Here’s one of their best and shows what they are really capable of. The harmonies are truly bewitching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tftXw0b_6C4

Enjoy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:06 am 

Status Quo are a UK rock band whose music is characterized by their distinctive brand of boogie rock. The group were originally called The Spectres and were founded by schoolboys Francis Rossi and Alan Lancaster in 1962. After a number of line-up changes, the band became The Status Quo in 1967 and Status Quo in 1969.

They have had over 60 chart hits in the UK. Their first, in 1967, was "Pictures of Matchstick Men". Their most recent one was in 2010. They have has more hits than any other rock group. Twenty-two of the 60 chart hits reached the Top 10 in the UK Singles Chart. In 1991, Status Quo received a Brit Award for Outstanding Contribution to Music.

Status Quo starred in their first feature film, Bula Quo!, which was released to cinemas in July 2013. The film coincided with the release of the soundtrack album Bula Quo!, which peaked at number 10 in the UK Albums Chart. The first single from the album, "Bula Bula Quo" was released in June 2013, and is Status Quo's one hundredth single release.

Here’s the link to their first chart hit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEV55fCkW80

Turn the volume to max and enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:23 am 

Police were an English rock band formed in London in 1977. For the majority of their history, the band consisted of Sting (lead singer, bassist and principal songwriter), Andy Summers (guitarist) and Stewart Copeland (drummer). They became globally popular in the late 70s and are generally regarded as one of the 1st new wave bands to achieve mainstream success, playing a style of rock influenced by punk, reggae, and jazz. They are also considered one of the leaders of the 2nd UK invasion of the U.S. They disbanded in 1986, but reunited in early 2007 for a one-off world tour that ended in August 2008.

Their 1978 debut album, Outlandos d'Amour, reached No. 6 in the UK, and their 2nd Reggatta de Blanc became the 1st of 5 consecutive UK No. 1 albums. Synchronicity from 1983 was No. 1 in both the UK and U.S., selling over 8 million copies in the U.S. alone. Police have sold over 75 million records, making them one of the world's best-selling artists of all time. They were the world's highest-earning musicians in 2008, thanks to their reunion tour.

The band has won a number of music awards, including 6 Grammys, 2 Brits — winning Best UK group once, an MTV Video Music Award, and in 2003 were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. 4 of their 5 studio albums appeared on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. Police were included among both Rolling Stone's and VH1's lists of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.

Here’s what I consider is their best single: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPwMdZO ... kTECc8mhmD

Enjoy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:52 am 

Simon & Garfunkel were a US folk rock duo consisting of singer/songwriter Paul Simon and singer Art Garfunkel. They were one of the most popular recording artists of the 1960s with the Beatles, the Beach Boys and Bob Dylan. Their biggest hits, including "The Sound of Silence" (1964/1965), "Mrs. Robinson" (1968), "Bridge over Troubled Water" (1969) and "The Boxer" (1969) reached #1 on the singles charts. Their relationship led to disagreements which resulted in their breakup in 1970. Their last studio record, Bridge over Troubled Water, was their most successful, becoming one of the world's best-selling albums. Since then, they have reunited several times, most famously in 1981 for the "The Concert in Central Park", which attracted more than 500,000 people, the 7th largest concert attendance in history.

The duo met in 1953 and learned to harmonize together and write material. By 1957, under the name Tom & Jerry, they had their first minor success with "Hey Schoolgirl", a song imitating the Everly Brothers. Afterwards, the duo went their separate ways with Simon making unsuccessful solo records. In 1963, aware of a growing public interest in folk music, they reformed and signed with Columbia as Simon & Garfunkel. Their début,Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M., sold poorly, and they once again disbanded; Simon returned to a solo career, this time in England. A remix of their song "The Sound of Silence" was played widely on U.S. AM radio in 1965, reaching #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. Simon & Garfunkel reunited, releasing their 2nd studio album Sounds of Silence and touring colleges nationwide. On their 3rd release, Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme (1966), the duo assumed more creative control. Their music was featured in the 1967 film The Graduate, giving them further exposure. Bookends (1968), their next album, topped the Billboard 200 chart and included the #1 single "Mrs. Robinson" from the film. After their 1970 breakup following the release of Bridge over Troubled Water, they continued recording, Simon releasing a number of highly acclaimed albums, including 1986's Graceland. Garfunkel pursued an acting career, with leading roles in 2 Mike Nichols films, Catch-22 and Carnal Knowledge, and in Nicolas Roeg's 1980 Bad Timing.

Simon & Garfunkel have been described as "the most successful folk-rock duo of the 1960s" and one of the most popular artists from the decade in general. They won 10 Grammy Awards and were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1990. Their Bridge over Troubled Water album was nominated at the 1977 Brit Awards for Best International Album and is ranked #51 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.

Here’s a link to their definitive song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_a46WJ1viA

Enjoy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:03 am 

The Electric Light Orchestra (ELO) are a UK rock band from Birmingham and were formed in 1970 by songwriters/multi-instrumentalists Roy Wood and Jeff Lynne with drummer Bev Bevan. Their music is characterized by a fusion of Beatlesque pop, classical arrangements and futuristic iconography. After Wood's departure in 1972, Lynne became the group's leader, arranging and producing every album while writing virtually all of their material.

The band was formed to accommodate Wood's and Lynne's desire to create modern rock and pop songs with classical overtones, deriving as an offshoot of Wood's previous band the Move, of which Lynne and Bevan were also members. ELO were most active during the 1970s and 1980s, recording a string of studio albums that include the conceptual works Eldorado (1974) and Time (1981). After Wood left, Lynne, Bevan, and keyboardist Richard Tandy were the only consistent members. In 1986, Lynne lost interest and ceased its operation. Bevan responded by forming his own band, ELO Part II, which later became the Orchestra. With the exception of a short-lived reformation in 2000–01, ELO remained largely inactive for the next three decades. In 2014, Lynne reformed the band with Tandy as Jeff Lynne's ELO.

During ELO's original 13-year period of active recording and touring, they sold over 50 million records, collecting 19 CRIA, 21 RIAA and 38 BPI awards. Despite early singles' success in the UK, the band was initially more successful in the US, where they were billed as "The English guys with the big fiddles". From 1972 to 1986, ELO accumulated 20 Top 20 songs on the UK Singles Chart, and 15 Top 20 songs on the US Billboard Hot 100. The band also holds the record for having the most Billboard Hot 100 Top 40 hits, 20, of any group in US chart history without having a number one single

Here’s ELO at their best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvBOZCr ... 3Sf5L8Sbz_

Enjoy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next