Bob Lind's Message Board

let's talk about it
Click to return to BobLind.com
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Song for the day
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:44 am 

The Who are an English rock band that formed in 1964. The original line up consisted of lead singer Roger Daltrey, guitarist Pete Townshend, bassist John Entwistle, and drummer Keith Moon. They are considered one of the most influential rock bands of the 20th century, selling over 100 million records.

The Who established themselves by destroying their equipment on stage. In this sense, they became one of the first bands to truly entertain. Their first single, "I Can't Explain", reached the UK top ten. This was followed by a string of singles including "My Generation", "Substitute" and "Happy Jack". In 1967, they released the US top ten single "I Can See for Miles", while touring extensively. The group's fourth album, 1969's rock opera Tommy, included the single "Pinball Wizard" and was a critical and commercial success. Live appearances at Woodstock and the Isle of Wight Festival, along with the live album Live at Leeds, cemented their reputation as a respected rock act. With their success came increased pressure on lead songwriter and visionary Townshend, and the follow-up toTommy, Lifehouse, was abandoned. Songs from the project made up 1971'sWho's Next, which included the hit "Won't Get Fooled Again". The group released the album Quadrophenia in 1973 as a celebration of their mod roots, and oversaw the film adaptation of Tommy in 1975. They continued to tour to large audiences before semi-retiring from live performances at the end of 1976. The release of Who Are You in 1978 was overshadowed by the death of Moon shortly after.

Kenney Jones replaced Moon and the group resumed activity, releasing a film adaptation of Quadrophenia and the retrospective documentary The Kids Are Alright. After Townshend became weary of touring, the group split in 1982. The Who occasionally re-formed for live appearances such as Live Aid in 1985, a 25th anniversary tour in 1989 and a tour of Quadrophenia in 1996. They resumed regular touring in 1999, with drummer Zak Starkey. After Entwistle's death in 2002, plans for a new album were delayed. Townshend and Daltrey continued as the Who, releasing Endless Wire in 2006, and continued to play live regularly.

The Who's major contributions to rock music include the development of the Marshall stack, large PA systems, use of the synthesizer, Entwistle and Moon's lead playing styles, Townshend's feedback and power chord guitar technique, and the development of the rock opera.

Their best single is undoubtedly is I can see for miles. Here’s the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0iqg2UanEc

Turn up the volume and enjoy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:47 am 

The Beach Boys are an American rock band formed in California in1961. The group's original lineup consisted of brothers Brian,Dennis, and Carl Wilson, their cousin Mike Love, and their friend Al Jardine. They emerged at the vanguard of the "California Sound", performing original surf songs that gained international popularity for their distinct vocal harmonies and lyrics reflecting a southern California youth culture of surfing, cars, and romance.

The group began as a garage band managed by the Wilsons' father Murry, with Brian's creative ambitions and sophisticated songwriting abilities dominating the group's musical direction. After 1964, their albums took a different stylistic path that featured more personal lyrics, multi-layered sounds, and recording experiments. In 1966, the Pet Sounds album and "Good Vibrations" single vaulted the group to the top level of rock innovators and established the band as symbols of the nascent counterculture era. Following Smile's dissolution, Brian gradually ceded control to the rest of the band, reducing his input because of mental health and substance abuse issues. Though the more democratic incarnation of the Beach Boys recorded a string of albums in various music styles that garnered international critical success, the group struggled to reclaim their commercial momentum in America. Since the 1980s, much-publicized legal wrangling over royalties, song writing credits and use of the band's name transpired.

Dennis drowned in 1983 and Carl died of lung cancer in 1998. After Carl's death, many live configurations of the band fronted by Mike Love and Bruce Johnston continued to tour into the 2000s while other members pursued solo projects. For the band's 50th anniversary, the surviving co-founders briefly reunited for a new studio album and world tour.

The Beach Boys are regarded as the most iconic American band and one of the most critically acclaimed, commercially successful, and widely influential bands of all time while Allmusic stated that their "unerring ability made them America's first, best rock band. They had over 80 songs chart worldwide, 36 of them US Top 40 hits (the most by an American rock band), 4 reached number-one on the Billboard Hot 100chart. The Beach Boys have sold in excess of 100 million records worldwide, making them one of the world's best-selling bands of all time and are listed at number 12 on Rolling Stone magazine's 2004 list of the "100 Greatest Artists of All Time". They have received one Grammy Award for The Smile Sessions (2011). The core quintet of the three Wilsons, Love and Jardine were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1988.

Here’s what I consider to be their best single: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eab_beh07HU

Turn up the volume and enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:14 am 

Lily Allen, is a UK singer, songwriter, actress, and television presenter. She is the daughter of Keith Allen and film producer Alison Owen. Allen left school when she was 15 and concentrated on improving her performing and compositional skills. In 2005, she made some of her recordings public on Myspace and the publicity resulted in airplay on BBC Radio 1 and a contract with Regal Recordings.

Her first mainstream single, "Smile", reached number one on the UK Singles Chart in July 2006. Her debut record, Alright, Still, was well received, selling over 2.6 million copies worldwide and brought Allen a Grammy nomination and began hosting her own talk-show, Lily Allen and Friends, on BBC Three.

Her second studio album, It's Not Me, It's You, saw a genre shift, having more of an electropop, rather than the ska and reggae influences of the first one. The album debuted at number one on the UK Albums Chart and the Australian ARIA Charts and was well received by critics, noting the singer's musical evolution and maturity. It spawned the hit singles "The Fear" and "**I said something naughty!** You". This success saw her receive the Brit Award for British Female Solo Artist at the 2010 Brit Awards. Allen and Amy Winehouse were credited with starting a process that led to the "year of the women" media label in 2009 that saw five female artists making music of "experimentalism and fearlessness" nominated for the Mercury Prize.

In 2009, Allen announced that she would be taking a hiatus from musical activities. In 2011, she launched her own record label. In 2013, Allen revealed that she had begun working on her third studio album, which was later titled Sheezus. On 12 November 2013, Allen premiered the video for her first original song since 2009, "Hard out Here", which was released as a single five days later.

Here’s the link to the song which best defines her:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WxDrVUrSvI

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:06 am 

Enigma is a German new age musical project formed in 1990 by Michael Cretu, David Fairstein and Frank Peterson. The Romanian-born Cretu conceived Enigma while working in Germany, but recorded all of Enigma's studio releases to date in Ibiza. Cretu is both the composer and producer. His former wife, pop singer Sandra, often provides vocals on Enigma tracks.

From the late 1970s onward, Michael Cretu already had his own music career and apart from some collaboration efforts, he also produced his wife's albums. Before Enigma, he released a number of albums under his own name, but none of them sold particularly well.

In December 1990, after 8 months of preparation, Cretu released Enigma's debut album, MCMXC a.D., which received over 57 platinum awards worldwide, and topped the charts in 41 countries, directly becoming the most successful Virgin Records act during that time. The album was Cretu's first commercial success through the single "Sadeness (Part I)", which juxtaposed Gregorian chants and sexual overtones over a dance beat that was very peculiar to the ears of the public at that time. "Sadeness" quickly rose to the top of the charts in Germany and France; it went on to become a worldwide hit.

Before the album was released, Cretu was cautious of the response towards the upcoming album, decided to forgo mentioning his and most of the personnel's real names and credited himself as Curly M.C., while the album sleeve contained little information about the background of the project, furthering the mystery about the creators of the album and leading to speculation whether Enigma was a band, a person or a group.

To date, Enigma have released 7 studio albums. In 2015, Cretu announced on Enigma's Facebook page that he had begun recording Enigma's 8th studio album.

Here’s the link to their most famous song, Return to Innocence. :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk_sAHh9s08

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:39 am 

The Beatles were an English rock band, formed in Liverpool in 1960 by John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr. They are regarded as the foremost and most influential act of the rock era. Rooted in skiffle, beat, and 1950s rock and roll, the Beatles later experimented with several musical styles, ranging from pop ballads and Indian music to psychedelia and hard rock, often incorporating classical elements in innovative ways. In the early 1960s, their enormous popularity first emerged as "Beatlemania", but as the group's music grew in sophistication, led by primary songwriters Lennon and McCartney, they came to be perceived as an embodiment of the ideals shared by the counterculture of the 1960s.

The Beatles built their reputation playing clubs in Liverpool and Hamburg over a 3-year period from 1960, with Stuart Sutcliffe initially serving as bass player. The core of Lennon, McCartney and Harrison went through a succession of drummers before asking Starr to join them. Manager Brian Epstein moulded them into a professional act and producer George Martin enhanced their musical potential. They gained popularity in the UK after their first hit, "Love Me Do", in late 1962. They acquired the nickname "the Fab Four" as Beatlemania grew in the UK. By early 1964, they had had become international stars, leading the "UK invasion" of the US pop market. From 1965 onwards, the Beatles produced what many consider their finest material, including their albums: Rubber Soul(1965), Revolver (1966), Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967), The Beatles(commonly known as the White Album, 1968) and Abbey Road (1969).

After their break-up in 1970, they each enjoyed successful musical careers of varying lengths. McCartney and Starr, the surviving members, remain musically active. Lennon was shot and killed in December 1980, and Harrison died of lung cancer in November 2001.

According to the RIAA, the Beatles are the best-selling music artists in the US, with 178 million certified units. They have had more number-one albums on the UK charts and sold more singles than any other act. In 2008, the group topped Billboard magazine's list of the all-time most successful "Hot 100" artists; as of 2016, they hold the record for most number-one hits on the Hot 100 chart with 20. They have received ten Grammy Awards, an Academy Award for Best Original Song Score and 15 Ivor Novello Awards. Collectively included in Time magazine's compilation of the twentieth century's 100 most influential people, they are thebest-selling band in history, with estimated sales of over 600 million records worldwide. The group was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1988, with all four being inducted individually as well from 1994 to 2015.

Here’s the link to what I consider is their best single:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWpRY0flS2U

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:26 am 

The Rolling Stones are an English rock band formed in London in 1962. The first settled line-up consisted of Brian Jones (guitar, harmonica), Ian Stewart (piano), Mick Jagger (lead vocals, harmonica), Keith Richards(guitar), Bill Wyman (bass) and Charlie Watts (drums). Stewart was removed from the official line-up in 1963 but continued as an occasional pianist until his death in 1985. Jones departed the band less than a month prior to his death in 1969, having already been replaced by Mick Taylor, who remained until 1975. Subsequently, Ronnie Wood has been on guitar in tandem with Richards. Following Wyman's departure in 1993, Darryl Jones has been the main bassist. The band was first led by Jones but after teaming as the band's songwriters, Jagger and Richards assumed de facto leadership.

The Rolling Stones were in the vanguard of the British Invasion of bands that became popular in the US in 1964–65. At first noted for their longish hair as much as their music, the band are identified with the youth and rebellious counterculture of the 1960s. Critic Sean Egan states that within a year of the release of their 1964 debut album, they "were being perceived by the UK youth and then the world as representatives of opposition to an old, cruel order—the antidote to a class-bound, authoritarian culture. They were instrumental in making blues a major part of rock and roll and of changing the international focus of blues culture to the original type blues typified by Chess Records artists such as Muddy Waters—writer of "Rollin' Stone", after which the band is named. After a short period of musical experimentation that culminated with the polarising and largely psychedelic album Their Satanic Majesties Request (1967), the group returned to its bluesy roots with Beggars' Banquet (1968) which—along with its follow-ups, Let It Bleed (1969), Sticky Fingers (1971) and Exile on Main St. (1972)—is generally considered to be the band's best work. It was during this period that they were first introduced on stage as "The World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band". Musicologist Robert Palmer attributed their endurance to being "rooted in traditional verities, in rhythm-and-blues and soul music", while "more ephemeral pop fashions have come and gone".
The band continued to release commercially successful records in the 1970s and sold many albums, with Some Girls(1978) and Tattoo You (1981) being their two most sold albums. In the 1980s, a feud between Jagger and Richards about the band's musical direction almost caused a split but they managed to patch things up and had a successful comeback with Steel Wheels (1989), which was followed by a big stadium and arena tour. Since the 1990s, new recorded material from the group has been increasingly less well-received and less frequent. Despite this, the Rolling Stones have continued to be a huge attraction on the live circuit, with big stadium tours in the 1990s and 2000s. By 2007, the band had made what were then four of the top five highest-grossing concert tours of all time: Voodoo Lounge Tour (1994–95), Bridges to Babylon Tour (1997–98), Licks Tour (2002–03) and A Bigger Bang Tour (2005–07).

Rolling Stone magazine ranked them fourth on the "100 Greatest Artists of All Time" list, and their estimated sales are above 200 million. They have released 29 studio albums, 18 live albums and numerous compilations. Let It Bleed (1969) was their first of five consecutive number one studio and live albums in the UK. Sticky Fingers (1971) was the first of 8 consecutive number one studio albums in the US. In 2013, the band ranked 10th on the Billboard Hot 100 All-Time Top Artists chart. In 2012, the band celebrated its 50th anniversary.

Here’s a link to their best singe, Brown Sugar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59K2kF6o9Tk

Enjoy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:11 am 

Bread was an American soft rock band from Los Angeles, California. They placed 13 songs on the Billboard Hot 100 chart between 1970 and 1977 and were an example of soft rock.

The band consisted of David Gates (vocals, bass, guitar, violin, viola, percussion), Jimmy Griffin (vocals, guitar, keyboards, percussion), Robb Royer (bass, guitar, flute, keyboards, percussion, recorder, backing vocals), Mike Botts (drums, percussion; joined in the summer of 1969) and Larry Knechtel (keyboards, bass, guitar, harmonica - replaced Royer in 1971).

Before forming Bread, Gates worked with Royer's previous band, The Pleasure Fair, producing and arranging the band's 1967 album. Royer introduced Gates to his song writing partner, Griffin, and they became a trio in 1968 and signed with Elektra in January 1969, after choosing the name "Bread" in late 1968, supposedly after getting stuck in traffic behind a Wonder Breadtruck. The group's 1st single, "Dismal Day", was released in June 1969 but did not chart. Their debut album, was released in September 1969 and peaked at #127 on the Billboard 200. A session musician, accompanied the band on drums for the album.

In mid 1969, Mike Botts became their permanent drummer. This time their efforts quickly established Bread as a major act with the Billboard Hot 100 No. 1 hit "Make It with You" in 1970
For their next single, they released a re-recorded version of "It Don't Matter To Me”. It too was a hit reaching No. 10. Bread began touring and recording the 1971 album titled Manna (#21), which included the Top 5 hit single, "If"..

Royer left the group after 3 albums and was replaced by Larry Knechtel. In 1972 Baby I'm-a Want You was re-released. It became their most successful album, peaking at No. 3 on the Billboard 200. The title song was established as a hit in late 1971 before the album was released, also hitting No. 3. Follow-up singles "Everything I Own" and "Diary" also went Top 20. The next album, Guitar Man, was released 10 months later and went to No. 18. The album produced three Top 20 singles, "The Guitar Man" (#11), "Sweet Surrender" (#15), and "Aubrey" (#15), with the first 2 going to No. 1 on Billboard's adult contemporary chart.

By 1973, fatigue from constant recording and touring set in. There was also some dissatisfaction with the songs planned for a 6th album and, as a result, Bread decided to disband.

The reunion of the group in 1976 came about after Elektra expressed interest in another album. Gates, Griffin, Botts and Knechtel returned to the studio that year and recorded the album Lost Without Your Love, released in January 1977. The title track, was the band's last Top 10 hit, peaking at No. 9 on the singles chart. They ended the year with no further plans to record.

Gates then toured with Botts and Knechtel as "David Gates & Bread". This led to a legal dispute with Griffin over use of the band's name, of which Griffin was co-owner. The resulting litigation was not settled until 1984.

In 1996, having settled their differences, Gates, Griffin, Botts and Knechtel reunited Bread for a successful "25th Anniversary" tour of the USA, South Africa, Europe and Asia. The tour was extended to 1997 and was the last year the original band members would ever perform together.
In 2005 both Griffin and Botts died from cancer at the age of 61. In August 2009, Knechtel died of a heart attack at the age of 69, leaving Gates and Royer as the only surviving original members.

Here’s their definitive single: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCHHHAeSBvY

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:56 am 

David Bowie was an English singer, songwriter, actor and record producer. He was a figure in popular music for over 5 decades, considered by critics and musicians as an innovator, particularly for his work in the 1970s. His career was marked by reinvention and visual presentation, his music and stagecraft significantly influencing popular music. During his lifetime, his record sales, estimated at 140 million worldwide, made him one of the world's best-selling music artists. In the UK, he was awarded 9 platinum albums, 11 gold and 8 silver and 11 #1 albums. In the US he received 5 platinum and 7 gold certifications. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1996.

Born and raised in south London, Bowie developed an interest in music as a child, eventually studying art, music and design before embarking on a professional career as a musician in 1963. "Space Oddity" became his first top-5 entry on the UK Singles Chart after its release in July 1969. After a period of experimentation, he re-emerged in 1972 during the glam rock era with his flamboyant and androgynous alter ego Ziggy Stardust. The character was spearheaded by the success of his single "Starman" and album The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, which won him widespread popularity. In 1975, Bowie's style shifted radically towards a sound he characterised as "plastic soul", initially alienating many of his UK devotees but garnering him his first major US crossover success with the number-one single "Fame" and the album Young Americans. In 1976, Bowie began a sporadic acting career, starring in the cult film The Man Who Fell to Earth. The following year, he further confounded musical expectations with the electronic-inflected album Low (1977), the first of three collaborations with Brian Eno that would come to be known as the "Berlin Trilogy". "Heroes" (1977) and Lodger(1979) followed; each album reached the UK top 5 and received lasting critical praise.

After uneven commercial success in the late 1970s, Bowie had UK number ones with the 1980 single "Ashes to Ashes", its parent album Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps), and "Under Pressure", a 1981 collaboration with Queen. He then reached his commercial peak in 1983 with Let's Dance, with its title track topping both UK and US charts. Throughout the 1990s and 2000s, Bowie continued to experiment with musical styles, including industrial and jungle. Bowie also continued acting; his roles included Major Celliers in Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence (1983), the Goblin King Jareth in Labyrinth (1986),Pontius Pilate in The Last Temptation of Christ (1988), and Nikola Tesla in The Prestige (2006), among other film and television appearances and cameos. He stopped concert touring after 2004 and his last live performance was at a charity event in 2006. In 2013, Bowie returned from a decade-long recording hiatus with the release of The Next Day. He remained musically active until his death on 10 January 2016, just two days after the release of his final album,Blackstar.

Here's the definitive Bowie single:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYYRH4apXDo

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:50 am 

R.E.M. was an American rock band from Athens, Georgia, formed in 1980 by lead singer Michael Stipe, lead guitarist Peter Buck, bassist Mike Mills, and drummer Bill Berry. One of the first popular alternative rock bands, R.E.M. were noted for Buck's ringing, arpeggiated guitar style and Stipe's particular vocal quality. They released their 1st single, "Radio Free Europe", in 1981 on the independent record label Hib-Tone. The single was followed by the Chronic Town EP in 1982, the band's first release on I.R.S. Records. In 1983, the group released its critically acclaimed debut album, Murmur, and built its reputation over the next few years through subsequent releases, constant touring, and the support of college radio. Following years of underground success, R.E.M. achieved a mainstream hit in 1987 with the single "The One I Love". The group signed to Warner Bros. Records in 1988, and began to espouse political and environmental concerns while playing large arenas worldwide.

By the early 1990s, when alternative rock began to experience broad mainstream success, R.E.M. was viewed by subsequent acts such as Nirvana and Pavement as a pioneer of the genre. The band then released its two most commercially successful albums, Out of Time (1991) and Automatic for the People (1992), which veered from the band's established sound and catapulted it to international fame. R.E.M.'s 1994 release, Monster, was a return to a more rock-oriented sound, but still continued its run of success. The band began its first tour in 6 years to support the album; the tour was marred by medical emergencies suffered by 3 band members. In 1996, R.E.M. re-signed with Warner Bros. for a reported US$80 million, at the time the most expensive recording contract in history. Its 1996 release, New Adventures in Hi-Fi, though critically acclaimed,fared worse commercially than expected. The following year, Bill Berry left the band, while Buck, Mills, and Stipe continued the group as a trio. Through some changes in musical style, the band continued its career into the next decade with mixed critical and commercial success, despite having sold more than 85 million records worldwide and becoming one of the world's best-selling music artists of all time. In 2007, the band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. R.E.M. disbanded amicably in September 2011, announcing the split on its website.

Here’s what I consider is their best song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgiCechWNCo

Enjoy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:52 am 

Kate Bush, CBE is an English singer-songwriter, musician and record producer. She is known for her eclectic and experimental music as well as her idiosyncratic performances.

Bush first came to note in 1978 when, at the age of 19, she topped the UK Singles Chart for 4 weeks with her debut single, "Wuthering Heights", becoming the 1st female artist to achieve a UK number-1 with a self-written song. She has since released 25 UK Top 40 singles, including the top ten hits "The Man with the Child in His Eyes", "Babooshka", "Running Up That Hill", and "King of the Mountain". She has released 10 studio albums, all of which reached the UK Top 10, including the UK number-1 albums, Never for Ever (1980) and Hounds of Love (1985). She is the 1st UK solo female artist to top the UK album charts and the 1st female artist ever to enter the album chart at number-1,as well as the first (and to date, only) female artist to have top 5 albums in the UK charts in 5 successive decades.

Bush has been nominated 13 times for British Phonographic Industry accolades, and in 1987 she won a Brit Award for Best British Female Artist. During the course of her career, she has also been nominated for 3 Grammy Awards. In 2002, she was recognised with an Ivor Novello Award for Outstanding Contribution to British Music. Bush was appointed a CBE in the 2013 New Year Honours for services to music.

Here’s a link to her most famous song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW3gKKiTvjs

Enjoy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:49 am 

Santana is an American Latin rock band formed in San Francisco, California in 1967 by Mexican guitarist Carlos Santana. The band first came to widespread public attention when their performance of "Soul Sacrifice" at Woodstock in 1969 provided a contrast to other acts on the bill. This exposure helped propel their first album, also named Santana, into a hit, followed in the next two years by the successful Abraxas and Santana III.
In the years that followed line up changes were common. Carlos Santana's increasing involvement with guru Sri Chinmoy took the band into more esoteric music, though never quite losing its initial Latin influence.

In 1998, the group was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, with Carlos Santana, Jose Chepito Areas, David Brown, Gregg Rolie, Mike Carabello and Michael Shrieve being honored.

The band has earned eight Grammy Awards and three Latin Grammy Awards, the latter all in 2000. Carlos also won Grammy Awards as a solo artist in 1989 and 2003. Santana has sold more than 90 million records worldwide, making them one of the world’s best-selling groups of all time. In 2013, Santana announced a reunion of the classic line-up for a new record, predicting a 2014 release. They are tied with having the most won Grammys in one night.

Here’s their definitive song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5AUm_xaE9A

Enjoy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:07 am 

Cream were a 1960s British rock super group power trio consisting of bassist/singer Jack Bruce, drummer Ginger Baker, and guitarist/singer Eric Clapton. Their unique sound was characterised by a hybrid of blues rock, hard rock and psychedelic rock, combining psychedelia themes, Clapton's blues guitar playing, Bruce's powerful, versatile vocals and prominent bass playing, Baker's distinctive, pulsating, jazz-influenced drumming and Pete Brown's poetry-inspired lyrics. The group's third album, Wheels of Fire (1968), was the world's first platinum-selling double album. The band is widely regarded as being the world's first successful super group. In their career, they sold more than 15 million copies of their albums worldwide. Their music included songs based on traditional blues such as "Crossroads" and "Spoonful", and modern blues such as "Born Under a Bad Sign", as well as more eccentric songs such as "Strange Brew", "Tales of Brave Ulysses" and "Toad".

The band's biggest hits are "I Feel Free" (UK, number 11), "Sunshine of Your Love" (US, number 5), "White Room" (US, number 6), "Crossroads" (US, number 28), and "Badge" (UK, number 18). The band made a significant impact on the popular music of the time, and, along with Jimi Hendrix and other notable guitarists and bands, popularised the use of the wah-wah pedal. They provided a heavy yet technically proficient musical theme that foreshadowed and influenced the emergence of British bands such as Led Zeppelin, The Jeff Beck Group, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath in the late ‘60s and the early ‘70s. The band's live performances influenced progressive rock acts such as Rush. The band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1993. They were included in both Rolling Stone and VH1's lists of the "100 Greatest Artists of All Time," at number 67 and 61 respectively. They were also ranked number 16 on VH1's "100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock".

Here’s a link to their best song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSpW6MePb10

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:51 am 

Canned Heat is an American rock band formed in Los Angeles in 1965. The group has been noted for its interpretation of blues material and for its efforts to promote interest in this type of music and its original artists. It was launched by Alan Wilson and Bob Hite, who took the name from Tommy Johnson's 1928 "Canned Heat Blues", a song about an alcoholic who had desperately turned to drinking Sterno, generically called "canned heat". After appearances at the Monterey and Woodstock festivals at the end of the ‘60s, the band acquired worldwide fame with a line up consisting of Bob Hite (vocals), Alan Wilson (guitar, harmonica and vocals), Henry Vestine and later Harvey Mandel (lead guitar), Larry Taylor (bass), and Adolfo de la Parra (drums).

The music and attitude of Canned Heat afforded them a large following and established the band as one of the popular acts of the hippie era. Canned Heat appeared at most major musical events at the end of the ‘60s, performances blues standards along with their own material and occasionally indulging in lengthy 'psychedelic' solos. Two of their songs – "Going Up the Country" and "On the Road Again" – became international hits. "Going Up the Country" was a remake of the Henry Thomas song "Bull Doze Blues", recorded in Louisville, Kentucky, in 1927. "On the Road Again" was a cover version of the 1953 Floyd Jones song of the same name, which is reportedly based on the Tommy Johnson song "Big Road Blues", recorded in 1928.

Since the early 1970s, numerous personnel changes have occurred, although the current line up includes all 3 surviving members of the classic line up: de la Parra (who has remained in the band since first joining in 1967), Mandel, and Taylor. For much of the ‘90s and ‘00s, de la Parra was the only member from the band's 1960s line up. He wrote a book about the band's career. Larry Taylor, whose presence in the band has not been steady, is the other surviving member from the earliest line ups. Mandel, Walter Trout and Junior Watson are among the guitarists who gained fame for playing in later editions of the band. British blues pioneer John Mayall found several musicians for his band among former members of Canned Heat.

Here’s Canned Heat’s definitive song, let's work together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEwwt6Z9IRA

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:52 pm 
Admonkeystrator

I'm not sure this experiment is really working.

There's a qualitative difference between publishing and conversation, and a site that's as dormant as this one... doesn't really keep up with daily content renewal. It's a little hard for anyone to engage with more than five comments at once, which would be the case for anyone sticking their head in every two to three weeks.

The conversations that started a couple pages back seemed to have stopped. (Can I use a plural there, even?)

Hmm.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:35 am 

grant wrote:
I'm not sure this experiment is really working.

There's a qualitative difference between publishing and conversation, and a site that's as dormant as this one... doesn't really keep up with daily content renewal. It's a little hard for anyone to engage with more than five comments at once, which would be the case for anyone sticking their head in every two to three weeks.

The conversations that started a couple pages back seemed to have stopped. (Can I use a plural there, even?)

Hmm.

I completely agree with all of your comments.

I have posted a comment about most every decent band from the 60s onwards in the hope that someone will comment on at least one - even if it's negative.

I did start a conversation with Bob (not Lind). However, he has taken umbrage at the fact that I continue to post on my horse thread - which, I may add, continues to be one of the most read threads on the forum, though why I have no idea. The horse thread proves one thing - people do visit this forum. All we need now is to persuade one or two to begin posting and I'm sure that it will snowball and become a vibrant forum. At least, that's my hope.

Although this thread is about the bands that I like, it is about much more than this. Together with my horse thread, it tells people that there is at least one active member on the forum and that I have a wide range of interests and am therefore likely to engage with anyone who posts. It also says that if they post, they are likely to receive a response form me before their demise - which may not be the case with some other members of the forum.

You say that this thread isn't really working. This is true. On the other hand, neither is anything else because no one else is posting much at all.

I have noticed that on successful forums, there is a main theme and a number of additional unrelated topics. This affords members the opportunity to not only discuss the main theme, but also non-related topics. This keep the forum fresh and vibrant. This forum has no such facility. For some members, it is a case of music or nothing. I fear that this may have led to the demise of this forum. What's also apparent is that those who remember Bob and EB will either be approaching their 60s or will already be there. Some may already be deceased. Unfortunately, we are a dying breed. Some new blood would not go amiss. That means some chat about more modern music and non-music related topics is required. Otherwise, we may as well turn off the lights, close the door, go home and await the inevitable. I could give up and walk away. However, this isn't really part of my psychological make up.

Maybe I'll open up a few more threads on different subjects - just to see if any elicit a response. Or, I could just whistle Dixie.

In one way, I'm quite happy mumbling away to myself. I don't need feed-back to continue. I'm not that kind of a person. I'm as happy in a vibrant city as I am on a desert island. On the other hand, I'm disappointed that this forum is in the state it is. No disrespect intended to your good self. I'd like it to become a little more lively. That said, I'm also happy to move on if that's what you are asking me to do. I am no troll. I'm not here to disrupt nor derail.

Last edited by Mondrian on Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:08 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next