Bob Lind's Message Board

let's talk about it
Click to return to BobLind.com
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Song for the day
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:35 am 

Mondrian wrote:
It is now your call.

I offered advice; it was rejected. I am not a moderator. Do what you want.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:02 am 

bob_32_116 wrote:
Mondrian wrote:
It is now your call.

I offered advice; it was rejected. I am not a moderator. Do what you want.

You didn't offer advice. Here's what you actually typed: Now - can we talk music? In what way is that "offering advice"? I have stated that only 'talking music' isn't working/hasn't worked for this forum. How many different ways do I have to say that? For this, or any other forum to be lively and vibrant, it needs to discuss a broad range of topics. Otherwise it dies. This has been shown to be the case on this forum. What is it that you don't understand about this?

I offered a compromise, in fact, I offered you a choice of two compromises. You rejected both. As I said in a previous email. It's your way or the highway. No compromise.

Pity.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:32 am 

Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah band were formed in 1962 by Roger Wilks (trumpet) and Trevor Brown (Banjo) and Rodney Slater (saxophone). Their next recruit was Viv Stanshall (Tuba, Lead vocals and wind instruments). They then added Vernon Dudley Bohay-Nowell and Neil Innes (songwriter/ pianist). Initially, the band worked with drummer Tom Hedge until Rodney Slater found Martin Ash who took the stage name Sam Spoons. At their first pub gig, they were noticed by Roger Ruskin Spear. He soon became an integral part of the band.

John Parry and Roger Wilkes left the band and were replaced by Bob Kerr and Sid Nicholls. In 1963, Larry Smith joined the band as tap dancer, tuba player and later as the drummer. In 1966, the band secured a record deal and released two singles which came to naught.

Later that year, they made their first TV debut on Blue Peter.

Although they initially focussed on jazz, they turned their attention to rock because people began to claim that they sounded just like the Temperance Seven. In 1967, as their popularity began to increase, they were asked by Paul McCartney to appear and play in the film Magical Mystery Tour. Round about the same time, they were asked to become the resident band in the comedy show Do Not Adjust Your Set starring David Jason, Denise Coffey and soon to be Monty Python members (Terry Jones, Eric Idle and Micheal Palin). The band not only performed but took part in various sketches. In 1967, they released their third single – Equestrian Statue which was their biggest hit so far.

In 1968, after changing record labels, they released their first studio album Gorilla and then their first hit single Urban Spaceman.

In 1970, the band broke up but reformed for short periods in 1972, 1988 and 2006.

In all, the band released 9 singles and 6 studio albums.

Here’s their definitive song: Urban Spaceman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbLDI5lNdRQ

A truly unique band.

Enjoy.

Last edited by Mondrian on Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:42 am 

Pink Floyd were formed in 1965 by Syd Barrett, Nick Mason, Roger Waters and Richard Wright.

They became popular in the late 60s as a result of playing the London underground scene. They played psychedelic and progressive rock. They released two charting singles and a successful album in 1967 – Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

At the end of 1967, Dave Gilmour joined the band after Syd Barrett left due to deteriorating mental health.

They released five studio albums including, in 1973, their Dark Side of the Moon album and, in 1979, their Wall album. They became the two largest selling albums of all time.

As a result of creative tensions, Wright left in 1979 and Waters in 1985. Wright then rejoined, initially as a session musician and then later as a band member.

Two more albums then followed.

Before they disbanded, they sold 250 million albums world-wide.

For me, their definitive album, Meddle, was released in 1971. The definitive track on that album is ‘One of those Days’. It has sentimental value since I used it as the intro to my record show on a pirate radio station that I helped run in the early – mid 70s.

Here’s the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT44cUPZQ2o

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:17 am 

Mike Oldfield is a musician and composer. He became famous for his 1973 album Tubular Bells which, not only launched his career but also Virgin Records when it was used as the theme for the film: The Exorcist. He also had hits with his songs Moonlight Shadow and his renditions of In Dulci Jubilo and Portsmouth.

During his career, he has had more than 30 charting albums and 25 charting singles in the UK alone.

Here’s the link to his most famous hit – Tubular Bells:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fMeWJi7a-0

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:44 am 

Family were formed in late 1966 from the remnants of a group known as the Farinas.

Although their style has been described as progressive rock, their music explored other genres of music including psychedelia, folk, acid, jazz fusion and rock and roll. It was thought that the diversity in their sound was the result of their constant line-up changes.

The band were not as popular as other bands of the same ilk and of the same period and has been described as an "odd band loved by a small but rabid group of fans". I don’t mind being called rabid. I’ve been called worse.

Most of the band’s material was released in the USA, given that they were the first UK band to be signed to the US record label. However, the band never found success there due to a disaster of a 1969 tour in which Rick Grech unexpectedly left the band to join super group Blind Faith. During one gig Chapman lost control of the mic stand. It flew in Graham’s direction which was taken by Graham to be a deliberate act. Chapman spent the remainder of the tour singing with his hands by his sides and eventually lost his voice. The band’s reputation never recovered.

During the short life of the band, they released 7 studio albums and 4 singles.

Family disbanded in 1973.

The song that defined the band the best is No Mule’s Fool. So, Green’s out, now it’s Yellow.

Here’s the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpyS36wrFS0

Turn up the volume and enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:19 pm 

Yes were formed in 1968 by bassist Chris Squire and singer Jon Anderson out of the remnants of a band called Mable Greer’s Toyshop. Besides Squire and Anderson, the original line-up consisted of Peter Banks, Bill Bruford (now deceased) and Tony Kaye. The band has seen many and frequent line-up changes. To date, nineteen people have been in the band, including Rik Wakeman, formerly of the Strawbs, who joined in 1971 after rejecting an offer from David Bowie to join his new backing band, The Spiders From Mars.

Yes’s music has been described as progressive and symphonic rock. They have released 20 studio albums, 9 of which reached the top ten in the UK or USA and two of which reached number 1.

In 1980, Anderson and Wakeman left the band.

In 1981, Yes disbanded.

In 1983, the band, lead by Anderson, reformed.

In 1991, Bill Bruford rejoined as did Wakeman and Howe. Between 1996 and 2004, the band toured constantly. After a four year break, Yes resumed touring but replaced Anderson with Benoit David and Wakeman by his son Oliver due to health issues. In 2009, Bill Bruford retired from performing in public. In 2011, Downes, after a 30 year break, returned. In 2012, David left due to health issues. On 19 May 2015, it was announced that Squire would take a break from the band due to leukemia. It was the first time that Yes had been without him. On 27 June 2015, Chris Squire sadly died.

Today, a band called Yes still exists and still tours. It does not, however, contain any original band members.

The song, Survival, typifies Yes. It is from their album simply entitled Yes.

Here’s the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upDUqCjx6A8

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:59 am 

Sparks are an American glam-rock band. They were formed in Los Angeles in 1971 by Ron (Keyboards) and Russell Mael (Vocals). They were previously called Halfnelson who were formed in 1968.

In 1973, the band relocated to London.

In 1976, they relocated back to LA due to the fact that they were concerned that their music was becoming stale.

The band is very quirky in that Ron has a dead-pan stage presence and a unique keyboard style whilst Russell can be very animated on stage, especially when using his falsetto voice. The band’s lyrics can often be intelligent, sophisticated and acerbic and, as such, have attracted a cult following.

Sparks are best known for their hit single: This town ain’t big enough for the both of us which was released in 1974.

Here’s the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAzESJ62irI

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:51 am 

Kraftwerk, which is German for "power station", are a German electronic music band formed by Ralf Hütter and Florian Schneider in 1970 in Düsseldorf. The band was fronted by both Hütter and Schneider until Schneider's departure in 2008.

The band combines memorable and repetitive melodies and rhythms to produce their unique sound. Their lyrics, though simple, are often computer generated or sung through a vocoder. Put simply, this band were pioneers and popularised electronic music. The Observer wrote that "no other band since the Beatles has given so much to pop culture". Praise indeed.

The duo originally performed as part of a quintet known as Organisation. They released one album, Tone Float, and then split.

Kraftwerk line-ups from 1970 - 1974 changed as Hütter and Schneider worked with other musicians to record three albums and to occasionally appear live.

With Ralf und Florian, released in 1973, Kraftwerk began to move closer to its now classic sound, relying more heavily on synthesizers and drum machines. Although almost entirely instrumental, the album marks Kraftwerk's first use of the vocoder, which would in time become one of its musical signatures. Kraftwerk's futuristic and robotic sound was influenced by the 'adrenalized insurgency' of Detroit artists of the late '60s such as MC5 and the Stooges.

The release of Autobahn in 1974 saw Kraftwerk moving away from the sound of its first three albums. Hütter and Schneider had invested in newer technology such as the Minimoog and the EMS Synthi AKS, helping give Kraftwerk a newer, "disciplined" sound.

Over the years, due to their use of electronics in their music, they have developed their own 'instruments or have modified existing ones and registered patents in their name. For example, they filed a patent in 1975 for an electronic drum kit with sensor pads. They also created and designed and cutomised vocoder.

Since their formation, the band has been notoriously reclusive.

Here's the link to the song that best defines them - Autobahn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-G28iyPtz0

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:44 am 

The term "punk" was first used by US music critics in the early 1970s to describe garage bands and their devotees. Punk Rock is a genre that developed between 1974 and 1976 in the USA, UK and Australia. Rooted in garage rock, Punk Bands used short or fast-paced songs with hard-edged melodies and singing styles, stripped-down instrumentation and often political or anti-establishment lyrics. Many of the bands self-produced, self-promoted and distributed their music through informal channels.

By late 1976, bands such as the Sex Pistols, the Clash and the Damned in the London and Patti Smith, Television and the Ramones in New York were recognized as the vanguard of a new musical movement. In 1977, punk began spreading around the world and became a major cultural phenomenon in the UK.

The first wave of punk rock was aggressively modern and distanced itself from the sentimentality of early 1970s rock.

The Ramones were an American band that formed in New York in 1974. The original members of the band met in the New York borough of Queens. John Cummings and Thomas Erdelyihad had been in a high-school garage band from 1965 to 1967 known as the Tangerine Puppets. They became friends with Douglas Colvin, who had recently moved to the area from Germany, and Jeffrey Hyman, who was the lead singer of the glam rock band Sniper.

The Ramones are often cited as the first band to define the punk rock sound. Despite achieving limited commercial success, they were a major influence on the 1970s punk movement, not only in the USA, but also in the UK.

All of the band members adopted pseudonyms ending with the surname "Ramone", although none of them were related. This was inspired by Paul McCartney’s use of the pseudonym Paul Ramon during his Silver Beetles days.

They performed 2,263 concerts, touring virtually nonstop for 22 years. They disbanded in 1996. By 2014, all four of the band's original members, lead singer Joey Ramone guitarist Johnny Ramone, bassist Dee Dee Ramone and drummer Tommy Ramone were dead.

Here’s the link to their definitive song, Pinhead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT_2K4ddG7g

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:54 am 

Tangerine Dream are a German electronic music group founded in 1967 byEdgar Froese.

Froese arrived in West Berlin in the mid-1960s to study art. His first band, The Ones, disbanded after releasing just 1 single. Froese then experimented with musical ideas and played small gigs with a variety of musicians. Most of the performances were in the famous Zodiak Free Arts Lab, although one grouping also had the distinction of being invited to play for Salvador Dalí. The music was partnered with literature, painting and early forms of multimedia. As band members came and went, the direction of the music continued to be inspired by Surrealists and the band came to be know by the surrealist name of Tangerine Dream which was inspired by the line "tangerine trees and marmalade skies" from The Beatles' track "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.”

Froese was fascinated by technology and became skilled in using it to create music. He built custom-made instruments. His early work with tape loops and other repeating sounds was the precursor to the emerging technology of the sequencer, which Tangerine Dream quickly adopted upon its arrival.

The first Tangerine Dream album, Electronic Meditation, was a tape-collage Krautrock piece, using the technology of the time rather than the synthesized music they later became famous for.

The band's 1973 album Atem was named Album of the Year by UK DJ John Peel. This helped to sign the band to the fledgling Virgin Records in the same year. Soon afterward they released Phaedra, an eerie soundscape that unexpectedly reached #15 in the UK album charts and became one of Virgin's first hits. Phaedra was one of the first commercial albums to feature sequencers.

In the 1980s, along with other electronic music pioneers such as Jean Michel Jarre and Vangelis, the band were early adopters of the new digital technology which revolutionized the sound of the synthesizer, although the group had been using digital equipment as early as the mid-70s. Their technical competence and extensive experience in their early years with self-made instruments and unusual means of creating sounds meant that they were able to exploit the new technology to make music quite unlike anything heard before.

Tangerine Dream's early concerts were visually simple by modern standards, with 3 men sitting motionless for hours alongside massive electronic boxes festooned with patch cords and a few flashing lights. Some concerts were even performed in complete darkness as happened during the performance at York Minster, 20 October 1975. As technology advanced, the concerts became more elaborate, with visual effects, lighting, lasers, pyrotechnics, and projected images. By 1977, their concerts featured full-scale Laserium effects.

Most of Tangerine Dream's albums are entirely instrumental — two albums that prominently featured lyrics, Cyclone (1978) and Tyger (1987) were met with disapproval from fans.

The group has seen many personnel changes over the years with Froese being the only continuous member until his death in January 2015. The best known and most stable line-up which worked during their most influential mid-1970s period, was a trio with Froese, Christopher Franke, and Peter Baumann. In the late 1970s, Johannes Schmoelling replaced Baumann and this line-up was stable and extremely productive too.

The band's recorded output has been prolific, having released over 100 albums. Their work with the Ohr music label produced albums that had a pivotal role in the development of the musical genre known as krautrock. Their association with Virgin Records produced albums that helped define what became known as the Berlin School of electronic music. These and later albums were influential in both the development of electronic dance music and also new-age music. From the late 1990s into the 2000s, the band continued to explore other styles of electronica.

Even with their many studio and live recordings, many fans were introduced to Tangerine Dream by their film soundtracks. The group created over 60 soundtracks which include those for the films Sorcerer, Thief, Risky Business, The Keep, Firestarter, Legend, Near Dark, Shy People, andMiracle Mile. They also composed the score for the video game Grand Theft Auto V.

In 1975, Tangerine Dream played at York Minster here in the UK. I was there. Perfect acoustics. Unbelievable. It’s one thing to experience their unique sound through some form of electronic media but one had to experience this band live to realise just how good they really were. The way that they could blend harmonies and create emotions from thin air was truly amazing.

Here’s the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsK67-g8Yl4

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:25 am 

The Carpenters were an American vocal and instrumental duo consisting of siblings Karen and Richard Carpenter. Producing a distinctively soft musical style, they are among the best-selling music artists of all time. During their 14-year career, they recorded 11 albums, 31 singles, five television specials, and a short-lived television series. Their career ended in 1983 by Karen's death from heart failure brought on by complications of anorexia. Extensive news coverage surrounding the circumstances of her death increased public awareness of eating disorders.

The duo's brand of melodic pop produced a record-breaking run of hit recordings on the US Top 40 charts, and they became leading sellers in the soft rock, easy listening and adult contemporary genres. The Carpenters had three No. 1, five No. 2 singles on the Billboard Hot 100 and fifteen No. 1 hits on the Adult Contemporary chart. In addition, they had twelve top 10 singles. To date, the Carpenters' album and single sales total more than 100 million.

For me, Karen had the voice of an angel. Here’s what I believe epitomises the Carpenters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjFoQxjgbrs

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:48 am 

Yello is a Swiss electronic band consisting of Dieter Meier and Boris Blank. They are most famous for their 1985 single "Oh Yeah" which featured in the films Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Secret of My Success, an American Pie movie and K-9. and for The Race which peaked at number 7 on the UK.

The band was formed by Boris Blank (keyboards, sampling, percussion, backing vocals) and Carlos Perón (tapes) in the late 1970s. Dieter Meier (vocals, lyrics), a millionaire industrialist and gambler, was brought in when the two founders realised that they needed a singer. The new band name, Yello, was chosen as a pun based on a comment made by Meier, "a yelled Hello".

Yello's first release was the 1979 single "I.T. Splash". The LP Solid Pleasure, featuring the original short version of "Bostich" (extended to a hit dance single in 1981), was released in November 1980.

In 1983, Yello received substantial media attention with the release of "I Love You" and "Lost Again". Perón left the band in 1983 to start a solo career. With their 1983 album You Gotta Say Yes to Another Excess, the band began a working relationship with Ernst Gamper, whose "corner cut" logo would represent them for three albums, and who would design covers for the group beyond the demise of this logo.

In 2005, Yello re-released their early albums Solid Pleasure, Claro Que Si, You Gotta Say Yes to Another Excess, Stella, One Second, and Flag, all with rare bonus tracks, as part of the Yello Remaster Series.

A documentary on Yello, Electro Pop made in Switzerland, directed by Anka Schmid, was premiered at the Riff Raff cinema in Zürich in September 2005.

Yello was commissioned to produce music for the launch of the Audi A5 at theGeneva Motor Show in March 2007 and for the Audi A5 commercial in May 2007.

Yello rarely use samples from previously released music; nearly every instrument has been sampled and re-engineered by Boris Blank, who over the years has built up an original sample library of over 100,000 named and categorised sounds.

The track that typified Yello is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMaGLnOD5i4

Pump up the volume and enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:38 am 

The Mamas & the Papas were an American folk rock vocal group that recorded and performed from 1965 to 1968, reuniting briefly in 1971. They released 5 albums and 17 singles, 6 of which made the top ten, and sold close to 40 million records worldwide. The group was composed of John Phillips (1935–2001), Denny Doherty (1940–2007), Cass Elliot (1941–1974) and Michelle Phillips (b. 1944). Their sound was based on vocal harmonies arranged by John Phillips, the songwriter, musician, and leader of the group who adapted folk to the new beat style of the early sixties.

Mamma Cass Elliot had the voice that could make grown men cry. It was unique.

Here’s what I believe to be their best single. Mamma Cass just sent it out there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M7gKZqgHn4

Enjoy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:08 am 

Linda Ronstadt is an American singer. She has earned 11 Grammy Awards, 3 American Music Awards, 2 Academy of Country Music awards, an Emmy Award, an ALMA Award, and numerous US and internationally certified gold, platinum and multiplatinum albums. She has also earned nominations for a Tony Award and a Golden Globe award. Ronstadt was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in April 2014. On July 28, 2014, she was awarded the National Medal of Arts and Humanities.

In total, she has released over 30 studio albums and 15 compilation or greatest hits albums. Ronstadt charted 38 Billboard Hot 100 singles, with 21 reaching the top 40, 10 in the top 10, three at number 2, and "You're No Good" at number 1. This success did not translate to the UK, with only her single "Blue Bayou" reaching the UK Top 40. Her duet with Aaron Neville, "Don't Know Much", peaked at number 2 in December 1989. In addition, she has charted 36 albums, 10 top-10 albums and three number 1 albums on the Billboard Pop Album Chart. Her autobiography, Simple Dreams: A Musical Memoir, was released in September 2013. It debuted in the Top 10 on The New York Times Best Sellers List.

Ronstadt has collaborated with artists from a diverse spectrum of genres including Bette Midler, Billy Eckstine, Frank Zappa, Rosemary Clooney,Flaco Jiménez, Philip Glass, Warren Zevon, Emmylou Harris, Gram Parsons,Dolly Parton, Neil Young, Johnny Cash, and Nelson Riddle. She has lent her voice to over 120 albums and has sold more than 100 million records, making her one of the world's best-selling artists of all time. Christopher Loudon of Jazz Times wrote in 2004, Ronstadt is "Blessed with arguably the most sterling set of pipes of her generation.

She retired in 2011 and was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in December 2012 which left her unable to sing.

Here’s a link to one of her best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhtnB6kSCyA

Enjoy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next