Bob Lind's Message Board

let's talk about it
Click to return to BobLind.com
It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Song for the day
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:51 pm
Posts: 395
Location: Perth, Western Australia
^^ Oh yes I know all about Alice's restaurant. All the students knew the song, although for obvious reasons it did not get much radio airplay.

This one did though - memories of my first year at Uni:

https://soundcloud.com/aliabufarha/scot ... -francisco


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Song for the day
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:16 am
Posts: 464
Scott McKenzie – ah – those were the days.... Allow me to just take a few minutes to savour the memories.......

... And I put the effort into getting myself an avatar and, not just any old avatar but one that is appropriate and created by mu own, fair hand, and not just one that is appropriate but one that is sarcastic and what do I get? Nada. What can one say.

The Moody Blues formed in 1964 in Birmingham. Their first single was a flop but their second, Go Now, was a major hit helped by the fact that it was promoted on TV by one of the first-ever purpose-made promotional films used in the pop industry. The band’s history is strangely littered with failed projects, line-up changes, production issues, financial woes and frequent musical direction changes. I say strange, given how successful the band was. In fact, in the mid-late 60s-early 70s, they were one of the biggest bands in the UK. Their album sales exceeded 70million and include: Days of Future Passed, In Search of the Lost Chord, On the Threshold of a Dream, To Our Children’s Children’s Children, A Question of Balance, Every Good Boy Deserves Favour and Seventh Sojourn.

What I liked about this band was that as music evolved, so did they. In fact, they were often at the leading edge of that change. They were one of the first bands to use the Mellotron and the Moog Synthesizer for example. They also weren’t afraid to experiment and included some fantastic poetry in their music.

My favourite album was On the Threshold of a Dream. My favourite track, obviously, is The Dream. Here’s the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1IkAyT_R2w

Enjoy

_________________
I may not be in hell - but I can see it from here.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Song for the day
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:51 pm
Posts: 395
Location: Perth, Western Australia
^^ "Go Now" was a good song, but I don't consider the Moodies as coming into their own until Days of Future Passed, which I still think of as their defining moment and possibly the album chiefly responsible for ushering in the whole symphonic prog rock movement.

In addition to the seven albums you list, I also rate Long Distance Voyager quite highly - their last great album. After that one the quality really dropped off.

Favourite Moody Blues albums:
- Days of Future Passed
- A Question of Balance
- Seventh Sojourn


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Song for the day
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:16 am
Posts: 464
Before we leave the Moody Blues, isn’t life strange? As of this minute, my Honest Mondian’s Gambling Joint thread has attracted 1,119 views, that’s almost 28 per day and it’s about horse racing – not music. It’s undoubtedly the most popular thread this year, by a long way. Yet, this thread, which is about music, has only attracted 72 views, which is only about 9 per day. Most odd.

Anyway, moving on. Jethro Tull was formed in Luton in 1967. Initially, the band played Blues/Rock but then gravitated towards Folk and Hard Rock (at the same time). It was this that gave them their unique sound. They began by playing on the London club circuit. However, they were not well-received by their audiences and so were never asked back. In order to continue working the circuit, the band frequently changed its name. In fact, the band name was often supplied to the club by their agency without the band’s knowledge. On one occasion, a member of the band (Ian Anderson) was looking at a poster on the wall of a club and saw the name of a band that he didn’t recognise. It turned out to be the one that he played in. On the only occasion that the band were ever asked back to play again at a venue, their name was Jethro Tull, after the American Agriculturalist who invented the seed drill. As a result, they decided to keep the name. The band was eventually led by singer/flautist/guitarist Ian Anderson who was eccentric to say the least. That said, they achieved considerable commercial success with their albums: Aqualung and Thick as a Brick and their singles: Living in the Past and The Witch’s Promise. The band is credited with selling over 60 million albums world-wide.

Here’s what I consider to be their best song – The Witch’s Promise. So, lend me your ear ....

Here’s the Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0GAuexrVzo

Enjoy.

_________________
I may not be in hell - but I can see it from here.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Song for the day
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:51 pm
Posts: 395
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Mondrian wrote:
As of this minute, my Honest Mondian’s Gambling Joint thread has attracted 1,119 views, that’s almost 28 per day and it’s about horse racing – not music. It’s undoubtedly the most popular thread this year, by a long way.

I would say a better index of popularity is how many people have participated in the discussion. The number of views means nothing. People have to look at a thread to decide whether or not it carries any interest for them. I dare say many would have seen a thread about gambling on a Bob Lind board and thought "What the heck is this?", read what it's about and stifled a big yawn. Most of the responses that have been made are to the effect that the other person couldn't care less. How long is it since anyone except yourself posted in that thread? At least a month, by my reckoning, and that was just me saying I wasn't interested - despite the fact that you were posting nearly every day in that thread up until about a week ago.

Face it, Mondrian. You are clearly the only person here with any interest in that topic at all. Time to give it up and move on - to discussing music, for example. Up to now people have been relatively polite about this horses obsession of yours, but it's getting annoying and it's not making you any friends.


Last edited by bob_32_116 on Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Song for the day
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:51 pm
Posts: 395
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Also, Jethro Tull the agriculturalist was English, not American.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Song for the day
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:16 am
Posts: 464
Firstly, I haven't 'obsessed' about horse racing as you so quaintly put it. I posted for 31 days on the Gambling thread and then stopped. Hardly obsessive.

Secondly, I've posted solely about music on this thread and, let me see, who has joined in? Oh, yes, just you. I look at Honest Mondrian's Gambling Joint thread and let me see, who responded? Oh yes, just you again. So, in this respect, the 'Index' of this thread and that of the Honest Mondrian's Gambling Joint thread are, what - exactly the same!

Thirdly, you think that the number of views is unimportant? This forum, when I arrived, was getting so few views, for all intents and purposes, it was dead. This sort of thing may be unimportant to you but it is to me.

Fourthly, is this forum a place where Bob's fans talk about Bob and his music or is it a place where Bob's fans come and talk about things that Bob's fans are interested in? The latter is the norm on the internet. Forums of the former type tend not to exist for too long. They tend to spring into life and then quickly die.

Also, I didn't hear Bob Lind complain about my posts, did you? I got the impression that he appreciated that someone was prepared to put in some effort to keep the place alive.

Before you complain about the posting habits of others, I suggest you look to your own posting habits first. 367 post over a period of 10.5 years isn't what anyone could refer to as prolific. Left to you, this forum would now be dead. :roll:

I am not trying to endear myself to anyone. If people want to sit a spell and chat, fine. If not, that's fine too. People seem to want and need to be liked these days and feel the need to be all-PC and all. They are fixated with it, it seems. I am not of that ilk. I don't need to be liked nor do I feel the need to be PC. I was a child of the 60s. We were individuals then and being PC wasn't on the agenda. Those things were important to me then and they still are.

_________________
I may not be in hell - but I can see it from here.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Song for the day
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:51 pm
Posts: 395
Location: Perth, Western Australia
OK, I'm done with arguing. If you can't understand what I'm trying to say, there is really nothing I can add to explain it any better.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Song for the day
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:16 am
Posts: 464
bob_32_116 wrote:
OK, I'm done with arguing. If you can't understand what I'm trying to say, there is really nothing I can add to explain it any better.


Yes, and that's all you have done since I arrived here. Argue. You could have made me welcome. You didn't. You argued with me right from the get go. You even told me that, at first, you felt that I was a spammer. Rather than quit arguing, maybe it would have been best had you not started in the first place.

If you treat everyone in this way, can you not see that people may not be too keen to post?

This is Bob Lind's Message Board. I see that. BUT, you missed my point. Does it exist to talk about Bob and his music or it is a place for Bob's fans to come and talk to each other on a range of topics? There's a vast difference. Music is important yes but it's not the only thing in life. Man does not live by bread alone. Can you not see that if the only thing that get's talked about on here is Bob and his music then it may not be sustainable and that it may result in its demise? Maybe this is why the board was as silent as the grave when I arrived.

OK, only you commented on my horse racing thread. Another person commented about the thread on another one. However, what you fail to realise is that a) Since the end of last year, only 6 people have posted on the forum and b) OVER 1,100 people read my racing thread. That tells me that, for whatever reason and in general, people don't post on this forum. Maybe it has something to do with the welcome I received? Also, are you telling me that over 1,100 people viewed my horse racing thread in the space of 1 month and then never viewed it again? Does this forum even have this sort of membership numbers? Seems like a case of a bias to me. You have decided what the answer is and are now attempting to come up with ideas to justify your answer. It could be that some people really do have an interest in something other than music on this forum.

Had this board been vibrant when I arrived, I would have just joined in some threads and gone with the flow. This board wasn't vibrant. Effectively, it was dead. There was nothing to join in with. There was no flow. It had become no more than a shrine. The occasional and accidental visitor would then look around and say to themselves: 'This place is dead. I'm out of here'. If that's what you wanted, then that's what you got. I happen to think differently. There's a generation of music listeners who don't know Bob Lind. There's a generation who haven't heard his music. There's a generation who haven't heard his poetry. A visitor in January would have thought Bob and his music were dead and moved on because that's the way people are today. They have to be given a reason to stay, otherwise they move on.

Yours aren't the only thoughts in town. Yes, you have been a member these past 10.5 years whereas I'm just some Johnny Come Lately. However, in that case, the onus was on you to have kept this forum fresh and vibrant so that the good word about Bob and his music would spread. You chose not to do that. As a result, it became a mausoleum.

You know, it's a real pity that you and I can't get along. Essentially, we want the same things - just in different ways. It seems to be though that it's either your way or the highway. The pity of it is though that your way failed. This board, last January, was a lifeless and dead place. It wasn't impressive. Bob deserves better.

You criticise me for wanting to liven this place up - shame on you.

_________________
I may not be in hell - but I can see it from here.


Last edited by Mondrian on Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:55 am, edited 6 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Song for the day
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:16 am
Posts: 464
Fleetwood Mac are a British/American rock band that was formed in London in 1967. To date, Fleetwood Mac have sold over 100 million albums world-wide and are one of the most successful bands ever. The original members were Mick Fleetwood, Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer and Bob Brunning. Bob was only in the band until and if John McVie joined, which he did in the last quarter of ’67. The band shot to fame when their single, Albatross, went to number 1 in 1968. It sold more than 900,000 copies. It was written by Peter Green, their lead guitarist.

The band has seen a lot of personnel changes since and there’s been a lot of comings and goings with band members not only departing but coming back too.

The only original member that now remains is Mick Fleetwood who, incidentally, is one of the two people after which the band was named. The other, of course, being John McVie.

In late 1974, Lindsey Buckingham was asked to join the band by Mick Fleetwood as a result of the departure of Bob Welch. At that time, Buckingham was part of the Buckingham Nicks duo with his then girl-friend Stevie Nicks. Buckingham agreed to join the band provided that they took Nicks as well. Fleetwood agreed.

In 1977, the 11th Fleetwood Mac studio album, Rumours, was released. It sold over 40 million copies world-wide and became one of the largest selling albums of all time. The recording of the album was plagued by many inter-personal issues and this was cited as having had a major and strangely positive affect on both the lyrics and the music. The album was afforded much critical acclaim.

In 1979, during one of his ‘experimental’ periods, Lindsey Buckingham wrote the Tusk album, almost single handed. It became the 20th Fleetwood Mac studio album. The album cost over $1million to record and was the most expensive ever made up to that point. Although it sold 4million copies word-wide, it was considered a commercial failure by Warner Bros., their recording company. The company layed the blame solely at Buckingham’s door. So, an album sells 4 million copies and is considered a commercial failure. Interesting. John McVie considered Tusk to be the best Fleetwood Mac studio album ever and blamed its supposed commercial failure on the fact that the RKO record stations in the USA played the whole album on air, shortly after its release, allowing it to be taped by millions of listeners who then had no need to purchase the album. I have to agree with McVie and here’s my favourite Fleetwood Mac track on my favourite Fleetwood Mac album:

Here’s the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InjF8xj93LU

Enjoy.

_________________
I may not be in hell - but I can see it from here.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Song for the day
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:16 am
Posts: 464
The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get was Joe Walsh’s 2nd studio album. It was released in 1973. Joe is an American singer/song writer, multi-instrumentalist and record producer. Although the Smoker album and two others were credited to Joe as a solo artist, they were actually made by Barnstorm, a band that consisted of Walsh, Joe Vitale and Kenny Passerelli.

In 1975, Walsh joined the Eagles as keyboards player and guitarist when their founding member, Bernie Leadon, left the band. Although Hotel California was the Eagles’ 5th studio album, is was Walsh’s first album with them. It was released in 1976 and sold 32 million copies world-wide.
In my opinion, although Hotel California defined the Eagles, The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get defined Joe Walsh as an extraordinary talent. Daydream (Prayer), from The Smoker album, is 1 minute 45 seconds of pure, unadulterated emotion.

Here’s the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUNKjFwKUfk

The best way to play this is to edit it into a loop and then let it go.

Enjoy

_________________
I may not be in hell - but I can see it from here.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Song for the day
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:16 am
Posts: 464
Julie Driscoll is a singer and actress. She, with Brian Auger and the Trinity, released “This Wheels on Fire” in 1968. It was written by Bob Dylan and Rick Danko. Given the sound distortion, the band’s dress code and their performance, the song came to represent the UK’s Psychedelic era. Driscoll rerecorded the song in the early 1990s with Adrian Edmondson. It became the theme tune to the BBC sitcom Absolutely Fabulous which was written by Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders and starred Joanna Lumley and Jennifer Saunders who’s characters were throwbacks to the Psychedelic era.

Since the 70s, Julie has concentrated on experimental vocal music. Today, she is known as Julie Tippetts having married jazz musician Keith Tippett who she often collaborates with.

Here’s the link to what must be Julie’s definitive song, This Wheel’s On Fire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciDWDJ1x4TU

Enjoy

_________________
I may not be in hell - but I can see it from here.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Song for the day
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:51 pm
Posts: 395
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Mondrian wrote:
Yes, and that's all you have done since I arrived here. Argue. You could have made me welcome. You didn't. You argued with me right from the get go. You even told me that, at first, you felt that I was a spammer. Rather than quit arguing, maybe it would have been best had you not started in the first place.

If you treat everyone in this way, can you not see that people may not be too keen to post?

I did try and make you welcome. I was only complaining about the horse racing thing.

I never made any claim to have any more rights than you because of how many years I have been a member. It's you who are trying to make an issue out of it. Elsewhere you say I am not very prolific - only X number of posts in 10 years or whatever. Well, I don't routinely tally up my posts and check how many I have made this week or this month. I think I have said a lot in those posts, and I don't see the need to up the post per day count just for the sake of it.

Coming from your point of view, it seems ridiculous that people would think you a spammer, because you knew you weren't. However try and see it from other members' point of view. New member arrives. First post: horse racing tips. Nothing to do with Bob Lind of any other music. You can't see that that looks a tiny bit bit suspect?

It hardly matters now. You seem to have got over the horses thing, Welcome, if you missed the welcome the first time. Now - can we talk music?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Song for the day
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:16 am
Posts: 464
bob_32_116 wrote:
Mondrian wrote:
Yes, and that's all you have done since I arrived here. Argue. You could have made me welcome. You didn't. You argued with me right from the get go. You even told me that, at first, you felt that I was a spammer. Rather than quit arguing, maybe it would have been best had you not started in the first place.

If you treat everyone in this way, can you not see that people may not be too keen to post?

I did try and make you welcome. I was only complaining about the horse racing thing.

Coming from your point of view, it seems ridiculous that people would think you a spammer, because you knew you weren't. Try and see it from other members' point of view. New member. First post: horse racing tips. Nothing to do with Bob Lind of any other music. You can't see that that looks a bit suspect?

It hardly matters now. You seem to have got over the horses thing, Welcome, if you missed the welcome the first time. Now - can we talk music?


Please allow me to correct you if I may. Horse racing wasn't my first post, nor was it my second, nor my third. The posts on this forum are date/time stamped. The dates/times will support my statement. I therefore have no idea why you claim that horse racing was my first post. It would appear that you have created an 'anchor' for me in your mind and now your view of me is fixed. Even now, you claim that my first post was about horse racing. You could have, and should have, checked this. You chose not to. As I said, your view of me is now firmly 'anchored'.

It is obvious to me that you want me to conform to your wishes and refuse to listen to my points. I have been asked to move on and play somewhere else by one member. You wish me to talk music and nothing else. This forum, when I arrived, was, for all intents and purposes, dead. You may wish to dispute it but that is a fact. I wasn't even sure whether anyone was posting or visiting anymore when I registered. How did it get into this state? Because Man does not live by bread alone. If there is only one topic that is ever discussed on a forum, then the forum will eventually die and that's what happened to this forum. It died. You may not like what I say, you may not agree but facts are facts.

You argued with me and criticised me for what, trying to breath some life back into a dead forum? If you care so much about this forum, how come you let it get into this state?

You also claimed that you see no reason to post just for the sake of posting. There is every reason. Put yourself in the position of a new visitor. How are they supposed to know whether the forum is active unless people post on a fairly frequent basis? Also, not everyone is like me. I'm happy to talk to myself if necessary. A lot of other people aren't. They want to converse with others. It's why they join a forum in the first place. If no one is going to respond, why join? That's why the forum is as dead as a coffin nail. No one posts so no new members join. Because no members join, no one posts. Catch 22.

Also, for the record, you seem to have missed the fact that I started posting on the horse racing thread again yesterday. I've posted again today. I'll be posting tomorrow too. Someone must be reading it. If that wasn't the case, then over 1,100 people have visited the forum, read the thread once, and then never returned. Are you seriously asking me to believe this?

Bottom line.

For a forum to be lively and attract visitor numbers, it needs to discuss a broad range of topics. Talking only about music isn't going to work and it certainly hasn't worked for this forum. Therefore, the topic base needs to be broadened for it to survive. OK, horse racing may not do the trick but I haven't even started yet. I have lots of other none-music-related topics.

From your last post, it appears that you want to talk music and nothing else. I don't happen to agree.

As a compromise, I'm happy to talk music with you as long as I get to do other non-music things to get this place rocking again, without criticism.

As an alternative compromise, I'm happy for you to talk music with other people (if you can find anyone, that is) and you have my word that I will not interfere in any way, shape or form. For your part, you agree not to interfere with my posts.

The one thing that I will not compromise on is to only talk music on here. I will not take part in the demise of this forum. Bob and his music are far too important to me to let that happen. I may fail, yes, but at least I will have tried my best to do something.

One last thing. I will abide by whatever Bob Lind/Moderators decide. If they ask me to leave this forum, then, I will and in a peaceable manner. I am not an unreasonable person. However, I will not allow others to push me around and to dissuade me from doing that which I believe is right. There's a whole generation that have never heard of Bob Lind and his music. Left to this forum, that will remain the case unless someone is prepared to do something.

It is now your call.

_________________
I may not be in hell - but I can see it from here.


Last edited by Mondrian on Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Song for the day
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:16 am
Posts: 464
Procol Harum were formed in Southend in 1967 out of the remnants of The Paramounts who had a moderate hit with Leiber and Stoller’s Poison Ivy. Unable to find additional success, the group disbanded.

One of the band leaders, Gary Brooker, then decided to form a new band. The band was named after the name of a friend’s cat. They were influenced by baroque and classical music but also embraced the blues, R&B and soul. They also contributed to the development of progressive and symphony rock.

In May 1967, the band released A Whiter Shade of Pale. It went to number 1 and became one of the few singles to sell more than 10 million copies. It is considered a classic of UK popular music. Their follow-up single, Homburg was also a commercial success but far less than its predecessor.

Before their break up in 1977, the band released 9 studio albums which were successful to varying degrees. During that time, there were numerous personnel changes, which, it is thought, significantly contributed to the band’s declining record sales and popularity.

Here’s the link to A Whiter Shade of Pale which is, perhaps, the song that best defined them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb3iPP-tHdA

Enjoy.

_________________
I may not be in hell - but I can see it from here.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group