Bob Lind's Message Board

let's talk about it
Click to return to BobLind.com
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Song for the day
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:41 am 

Sean Dunne wrote:
Hi tell me did Keith Ralph of the Yarbirds have a hit with Good Morning Little School Girl

Hi Sean

Sonny Boy Williamson recorded "Good Morning, School Girl" in 1937.

In 1961, Don Level and Bob Love, as the rhythm and blues duo "Don and Bob", recorded a different version of "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl". Although they used the phrase "good morning little schoolgirl", the song has different chord changes and lyrics including references to popular dance styles of the time. When the Yardbirds were looking for a song to follow-up to their first single, "I Wish You Would", they chose the Don and Bob tune to "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl".

Hope this answers your question.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:02 pm 

Ta for that

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:11 am 

Sean

Glad to be of help.

Genesis is a UK rock band formed at Charterhouse School in 1967 by Banks, Rutherford, Gabriel and Anthony Phillips. There has been a number of personnel changes but the most commercially successful and long-lasting line-up includes keyboardist Tony Banks, bassist/ guitarist Mike Rutherford and drummer/singer Phil Collins. Other important members were singer Peter Gabriel and guitarist Steve Hackett. The band underwent many musical-style changes from folk to progressive rock before moving towards pop. They have sold 21.5 million albums in the US and between 100 – 130 million worldwide.

Genesis was named by the former Charterhouse School former pupil Jonathan King who arranged for them to record several unsuccessful singles and an album. After splitting with King, the group began touring and signed with Charisma Records. Following the departure of Phillips, Genesis recruited Collins and Hackett and recorded several progressive rock style albums. The group were commercially successful in Europe before entering the UK charts with Foxtrot (1972). They followed this up with Selling England by the Pound (1973) and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (1974) before Gabriel left the group.

After an unsuccessful search for a replacement, Collins took over as lead singer while the group gained popularity in the UK and US. Following A Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering (both 1976), Hackett left the band reducing it to a core of Banks, Rutherford and Collins. Genesis had their first UK top 10 and US top 30 single in 1978 with "Follow You Follow Me" and they continued with their commercial success with Duke (1980), Abacab (1981) and Genesis (1983) reaching a peak with Invisible Touch (1986) which featured 5 US top 5 singles. Its title track reached #1 in the USA. After the follow up, We Can't Dance (1991) and related tour, Collins left in 1996 to focus on his solo career. Banks and Rutherford recruited Ray Wilson for Calling All Stations (1997) but a lack of success in the US led to a group hiatus. Banks, Rutherford and Collins reunited for the Turn It On Again Tour in 2007.

Here’s one of their best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyDRXbP ... 0mBLNk9_dR

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:06 am 

hi day off yesterday I missed your gems of music knowledge

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:55 am 

Sean Dunne wrote:
hi day off yesterday I missed your gems of music knowledge

Hi Sean

Nope, I had broadband issues.

Barry White was a US composer and singer-songwriter.

White was a 3-time Grammy Award–winner and was known for his distinctive bass-baritone voice and romantic image. His greatest success came in the 1970s as a solo singer and with the Love Unlimited Orchestra, creating many enduring soul, funk, and disco songs such as his two biggest hits, "You're the First, the Last, My Everything" and "Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Babe".

During the course of his career, he achieved 106 gold albums worldwide, 41 of which also attained platinum status. White had 20 gold and 10 platinum singles, with worldwide record sales in excess of 100 million. He is one of the world's best-selling artists of all time. His influences included Rev. James Cleveland, Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, and Elvis Presley together with Motown artists such as the The Supremes, The Four Tops and Marvin Gaye.

Here’s one of his best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtwOeoeWhoo

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:31 am 

Mika is a UK singer and songwriter.

After recording his 1st EP, Dodgy Holiday, Mika was named the number-one predicted breakthrough act of 2007 in an annual BBC poll of music critics.

Mika released his 1st full-length studio album, Life in Cartoon Motion, on Island Records in 2007. It sold more than 5.6 million copies worldwide and helped him win a Brit Award — winning Best British Breakthrough act and receive a Grammy Award nomination. Two years later Mika released his 2nd EP, Songs for Sorrow, of which limited edition copies are now sold out. In 2009, he released his 2nd studio album, The Boy Who Knew Too Much. After his worldwide tour, Mika recorded his 3rd album, The Origin of Love, stating it would be "more simplistic pop, less layered than the last one". The album was released internationally on 16 September 2012 and in the UK on 8 October 2012.

His latest album, No Place in Heaven, was released 15 June 2015.

Here’s his best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaEPCsQ ... -A&index=4

Enjoy

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:48 am 

The Seekers are an Australian folk-pop group who formed in Melbourne in 1962. They were the first Australian band to achieve major chart and sales success in the UK and USA. They were popular during the 1960s with the configuration of: Judith Durham (vocals, piano and tambourine); Athol Guy (double bass and vocals); Keith Potger (twelve-string guitar, banjo and vocals); and Bruce Woodley (guitar, mandolin, banjo and vocals).

The group had Top 10 hits in the 1960s with "I'll Never Find Another You", "A World of Our Own", "Morningtown Ride", "Someday, One Day" (by Paul Simon), "Georgy Girl" (the title song of the film) and "The Carnival Is Over" (by Tom Springfield and an adaptation of the Russian folk song "Stenka Razin").

With "I'll Never Find Another You" and "Georgy Girl", the band also achieved success in the USA but not nearly at the same level as in the rest of the world.

Their style has been described as too pop to be folk and too folk to be rock.
In 1968, they were named joint "Australians of the Year", Durham left to pursue a solo career and the group disbanded.

As of 2004, the Seekers have sold over 50 million records worldwide.

The Seekers were individually honoured as Officers of the Order of Australia in the Queen's Birthday Honours of June 2014.

Here’s one of their best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJaittLdfVo

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:46 am 

Diana Ross is a US singer, songwriter, actress and record producer. She was born and raised in Detroit and was a founder member and lead singer of the Supremes. The Supremes, during the 60s, became Motown's most successful act and is to this day USA's most successful vocal group as well as one of the world's best-selling girl groups of all time. The Supremes made it possible for future Afro American R&B and soul acts to find mainstream success. They released a record setting 12 #1 hit singles including "Where Did Our Love Go", "Baby Love", "Come See About Me", "Stop! In the Name of Love", "You Can't Hurry Love", "You Keep Me Hangin' On", "Love Child" and "Someday We'll Be Together".

Ross left The Supremes in 1970 and released her debut solo album, Diana Ross. It contained the hits "Reach Out and Touch (Somebody's Hand)" and the #1 hit "Ain't No Mountain High Enough". She released the album Touch Me in the Morning in 1973. Its title track also reached #1 becoming her 2nd solo hit. By 1975, the Mahogany soundtrack included her 3rd number-one hit "Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)". Her 1976 album Diana Ross included her 4th #1 "Love Hangover". In 1979, Ross released the album The Boss. Her 1980 album Diana which reached #2 in the charts and spawned the #1 hit "Upside Down" and the international hit "I'm Coming Out". After leaving Motown, Ross achieved her 6th and final #1 hit with the duet "Endless Love".

Ross also ventured into acting, with a Golden Globe Award and Academy Award nominated performance in Lady Sings the Blues (1972). She also starred in two other feature films, Mahogany (1975) and the The Wiz (1978); later acting included roles in the television films Out of Darkness (1994), for which she also was nominated for a Golden Globe Award, and Double Platinum (1999).
Ross was named the "Female Entertainer of the Century" by Billboard magazine. In 1993, the Guinness Book of World Records declared Ross the most successful female music artist due to her success in the USA and UK for having more hits than any other female artist with a career total of 70 hit singles with her work with the Supremes and as a solo artist. Ross has sold more than 100 million records worldwide when her releases with the Supremes and as a solo artist are tallied.

Here’s one of her best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaYHRx9-v2M

Enjoy

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:25 am 

Cher is an American singer and actress. She has been in the pop industry for 5 decades and is nicknamed the Goddess of Pop.

She became popular in 1965 as part of the husband-wife duo Sonny & Cher after their song "I Got You Babe" reached # one in the US and UK charts. She began a solo career simultaneously, releasing in 1966 her first million-seller song, "Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)".

In the 70s she became a TV personality with her shows The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour, which was watched by over 30 million viewers each week during its 3-year run.

She established herself as a solo artist with the chart-topping singles "Gypsys, Tramps & Thieves", "Half-Breed" and "Dark Lady".

After her divorce in 1975, Cher launched a comeback in 1979 with her album Take Me Home. In 1980–82, she had a show running in Las Vegas.

In 1982, Cher made her Broadway debut in the play Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean and starred in the film adaptation of the same title. She subsequently earned critical acclaim for her performances in films such as Silkwood (1983), Mask (1985), and Moonstruck (1987), for which she won the Academy Award for Best Actress. She then revived her musical career by recording the albums Cher (1987), Heart of Stone(1989) and Love Hurts (1991), all of which yielded several successful singles. She reached a new commercial peak in 1998 with the album Believe, whose title track became the biggest-selling single of all time by a female artist in the UK; it features the pioneering use of Auto-Tune, also known as the "Cher effect". Her 2002–05 Living Proof: The Farewell Tour became one of thehighest-grossing concert tours of all time, earning $250 million. In 2008, she signed a deal to headline the Colosseum at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas for 3 years. After 7 years of absence, she returned to film in the 2010 musical Burlesque. Cher's first studio album in 12 years, Closer to the Truth (2013), became her highest-charting solo album in the U.S. to date at #3.

Cher has won an Academy Award, a Grammy Award, an Emmy Award, a special CFDA Fashion Award, three Golden Globe Awards and a Cannes Film Festival Award, among several other honors. Throughout her career, she has sold 100 million records worldwide. She is the only artist to date to have a number-one single on a Billboard chart in each decade from the 1960s to the 2010s. Outside of her music and acting, she is noted for her political views, philanthropic endeavors and social activism, including LGBT rights and HIV/AIDS prevention.

Here’s one of her best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p0chD8U8fA

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:15 am 

The Monkees are a US band originally active between 1965 - 1971, with subsequent reunion albums and tours in the decades that followed. They were formed in Los Angeles in 1965 by Bob Rafelson and Bert Schneider for the US TV series The Monkees, which aired from 1966 to 1968. The musical acting quartet was composed of Americans Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork and UK actor and singer Davy Jones. The band's music was initially supervised by producer Don Kirshner.
Dolenz described the Monkees as initially being "a TV show about an imaginary band ... that wanted to be the Beatles, [but] that was never successful". The actor-musicians, however, soon became a real band.

For the first few months of their initial five-year career as the Monkees, the four actor-musicians were allowed only limited roles in the recording studio. This was due in part to the amount of time required to film the TV series. Nonetheless, Nesmith did compose and produce some songs and Tork contributed limited guitar work on the sessions produced by Nesmith. They eventually fought for and earned the right to collectively supervise all musical output under the band's name. The sitcom was cancelled in 1968 but the band continued to record music until 1971.

A revival of interest in the TV show came in 1986, which led to a series of reunion tours and new records. Up until 2011 the group had reunited and toured several times with varying degrees of success. Despite the sudden death of Davy Jones in 2012, the surviving members reunited for a tour in November–December 2012 and again in 2013 for a 24-date tour.

The Monkees have sold more than 75 million records worldwide and had international hits with "Last Train to Clarksville", "Pleasant Valley Sunday", "Daydream Believer" and "I'm a Believer". At their peak in 1967, the band outsold the Beatles and the Rolling Stones combined.

Here’s one of their best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU615FaODCg

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:37 pm 

Adele is a UK singer and songwriter. She graduated from the BRIT School for Performing Arts and Technology in 2006 and was given a recording contract by XL Recordings after a friend posted her demo on Myspace. In 2007, she received the Brit Awards "Critics' Choice" award and won the BBC Sound of 2008 poll. Her debut album, 19, was released in 2008 to commercial and critical success. It is certified seven times platinum in the UK and double platinum in the US. An appearance on Saturday Night Live in 2008 boosted her US career. At the 51st Annual Grammy Awards in 2009, she received the awards for Best New Artist and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.

Adele released her 2nd album, 21, in 2011. The album was well received critically and surpassed the success of her debut album earning her numerous awards in 2012, including a record-tying 6 Grammy Awards, including Album of the Year; 2 Brit Awards, including UK album of the year and 3 US music awards. The album was certified 16 times platinum in the UK, and is the 4th best selling album of all time. In the US it held the #1 position longer than any album since 1985, and was certified Diamond and sold 31 million copies worldwide.

The success of 21 earned Adele numerous mentions in the Guinness Book of World Records. She is the 1st woman in the history of the Billboard Hot 100to have 3 simultaneous top 10 singles as a lead artist and the 1st female artist to simultaneously have 2 albums in the top 5 of the Billboard 200 and 2 singles in the top 5 of the Billboard Hot 100. 21 is the longest-running #1 album by a female solo artist in the history of the UK and US Album Charts. In 2012, she released "Skyfall", which she wrote and recorded for the James Bond film of the same name. The song won an Academy Award, a Grammy Award, and a Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song. After taking a 3-year break, Adele released her 3rd studio album, 25, in 2015. It became the year's best-selling album and broke first week sales records in the UK and US. The lead single, "Hello", became the 1st song in the US to sell over one million digital copies within a week of its release.

In 2011 and 2012, Billboard named Adele Artist of the Year. In 2012, she was listed at #5 on VH1's 100 Greatest Women in Music. Time magazine named her one of the most influential people in the world in 2012 and 2016. With sales of more than 100 million records, Adele is one of the best-selling recording artists in the world.

Here’s one of her best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08DjMT-qR9g

Enjoy

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:56 am 

Maroon 5 is a US band which originated in Los Angeles. Before the current line-up was established, the original 4 members, Adam Levine (lead vocals, lead guitar), Jesse Carmichael (rhythm guitar, backing vocals), Mickey Madden (bass guitar) and Ryan Dusick (drums) formed the band Kara's Flowers in 1994 while they were still in high school. It self-released their album called We Like Digging? and then signed to Reprise and released the album The Fourth World in 1997. The album got mixed reviews, the band left Reprise and went back to college.

In 2001, the band changed its image by adding guitarist James Valentine and pursued a new direction under the name Maroon 5. At this point, Carmichael switched keyboards, which has since become his main instrument. After these changes, Maroon 5 signed with J Records and released their debut album, Songs About Jane, in June 2002. The album's lead single, "Harder to Breathe", received heavy airplay and helped the album to debut at #6 in the charts. In 2004, the album went platinum and has been dubbed "the sleeper hit of the millennium". The band won the Grammy Award for Best New Artist in 2005. For the next few years, Maroon 5 toured extensively worldwide in support of Songs About Jane and produced two live recordings. In 2006, Dusick officially left Maroon 5 after suffering from serious wrist and shoulder injuries and was replaced by Matt Flynn.

In 2007, the band released their 2nd album, It Won't Be Soon Before Long. It reached #1 in the charts and the lead single, "Makes Me Wonder", became the band's 1st #1.

In September 2010, Maroon 5 released their 3rd studio album Hands All Over, which was re-released in 2011 to include the single "Moves like Jagger" featuring Christina Aguilera. While the original version of the album received mixed reviews, "Moves like Jagger" reached #1. The band released their 4th album, Overexposed, in 2012. All 4 singles on the album were successful and "One More Night" was #1 for 4 weeks straight.

Keyboardist PJ Morton became an official member of the band in 2012. This meant that Maroon 5 had 6 official members. The same year, the bass player of Phantom Planet,Sam Farrar, became an official touring member, playing many different instruments (including guitars, percussion and additional keyboards, singing backing vocals and also providing samples on other popular bands. In 2014, the band signed with Interscope Records and released their 5th studio album, V.
Maroon 5 has sold more than 20 million albums and 70 million singles worldwide.

Here’s their best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPpTgCho5ZA

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:58 am 

Madonna is a US singer, songwriter, actress and businesswoman. She achieved popularity by pushing the boundaries of lyrical content in mainstream popular music and imagery in her music videos. She is often referred to as the "Queen of Pop" and is cited as an influence by other artists.

Madonna moved to New York City in 1977 to pursue a career in modern dance. After performing in the music groups Breakfast Club and Emmy, she signed with Sire Records in 1982 and released her self-titled debut album in 1983. She followed it with a series of commercially and critically acclaimed albums, including Ray of Light(1998) and Confessions on a Dance Fllor (2005). Madonna has written and produced most of her songs with many reaching #1 including "Like a Virgin", "Into the Groove", "Papa Don't Preach", "Like a Prayer", "Vogue", "Frozen", "Music", "Hung Up" and "4 Minutes".

Madonna's popularity was further enhanced by her film roles, including Desperately Seeking Susan (1985), Dick Tracy (1990) and Evita (1996) which earned her a Golden Globe Award for Best Actress. However, most of her other films have been panned by critics. Her other ventures include fashion design, writing children's books, and filmmaking.
Having sold more than 300 million records, Madonna is recognized as the best-selling female recording artist of all time and is ranked #2, behind only The Beatles, on the Billboard Hot 100 All-Time Top Artists, making her the most successful solo artist in the history of US singles chart.

Here’s one of her best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqIIW7nxBgc

Enjoy

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:03 am 

Free was a UK rock band formed in London in 1968. They were signed to Island Records in the UK and A&M in the USA.. They are best known for their massive 1970 hit "All Right Now".

Free disbanded in 1973. Lead singer Paul Rodgers went on to become the lead singer of Bad Company along with Simon Kirke on drums. Lead guitarist Paul Kossoff (son of actor David Kossoff) formed Back Street Crawler. He died from drug-induced heart failure at the age of 25 in 1976. Bassist Andy Fraser formed Sharks.

The band was famed for its sensational live shows and non-stop touring. Early albums did not sell well until the release of Fire and Water which featured the massive hit "All Right Now". The song helped secure them a place at the Isle of Wight Festival 1970 where they played to 600,000 people.

By the early 1970s, Free was one of the biggest-selling UK blues rock[ bands. They disbanded in 1973 and by that time had sold more than 20 million albums world-wide and had played more than 700 arena and festival concerts. "All Right Now," remains a rock staple.

Here’s their finest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siMFORx8uO8

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:56 am 

John Barry was a UK composer and conductor of film music. He composed the scores for 12 James Bond films. He wrote the Grammy and Academy Award-winning scores to the films Dances With Wolves and Out of Africa as well as the theme for the UK TV series The Persuaders!

In 1999, he was awarded an OBE for services to music.

During his national service in Cyprus, Barry began performing as a musician after learning to play the trumpet. After his national service in 1957, he formed his own band The John Barry Seven. He later developed an interest in composing and arranging music. As a result of making his TV début in 1958. He came to the notice of the makers of the first James Bond film Dr. No, who were dissatisfied with a theme produced by Monty Norman. This started a successful association between Barry and Eon Productions which lasted for 25 years.

He received many awards for his work including 5 Academy Awards; 2 for Born Free and 1 each for The Lion in Winter (for which he also won his 1st BAFTA Award for Best Film Music), Dances with Wolves and Out of Africa (both of which also won him Grammy Awards). He also received 10 Golden Globe Award nominations winning once for Best Original Score for Out of Africa in 1986. Barry completed his last film score, Enigma, in 2001 and recorded the successful album Eternal Echoes. He then concentrated chiefly on live performances and co-wrote the music to the musical Brighton Rock in 2004 alongside Don Black. He was made a BAFTA Fellow in 2005.

Although British, Barry moved to the USA in 1975 and lived there for the remainder of his life until his death in 2011.

Here’s one of his best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJLPckUEcao

Enjoy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next