Bob Lind's Message Board

let's talk about it
Click to return to BobLind.com
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Song for the day
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:46 pm 

Sean Dunne wrote:
Also Northern Soul Icon

Exactly!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:46 am 

Whitney Houston was a US singer, actress, producer and model. In 2009, Guinness World Records cited her as the most awarded female act of all time. Houston is one of pop music’s bestbe-selling music artists of all-time with an estimated 170–200 million records sold worldwide. She released 7 studio albums and 3 movie soundtrack albums all of which have diamond, multi-platinum, platinum or gold certification. Houston's crossover appeal as well as her prominence on MTV, starting with her video for "How Will I Know", influenced several African/American women artists to follow in her footsteps.

Houston is the only artist to chart 7 consecutive #1 hits. She is only the 2nd artist behind Elton John and the only woman to have 2 #1 Billboard 200 Album awards (formerly "Top Pop Albums").
Houston's 1985 debut album, Whitney Houston, became the best-selling debut album by a woman in history. Her second studio album Whitney (1987) became the 1st album by a woman to debut at #1 on the Billboard 200 albums chart.

Houston's first acting role was as the star of film The Bodyguard (1992). The film's original soundtrack won the 1994 Grammy Award for Album of the Year. Its lead single, "I Will Always Love You", became the best-selling single by a woman in music history. With the album, Houston became the 1st act (solo or group, male or female) to sell more than a million copies within a single week. The album makes her the top female act in the top 10 list of the best-selling albums of all time, at #4.

Houston continued to star in movies and contribute to their soundtracks, including Waiting to Exhale (1995) and The Preacher's Wife (1996). The Preacher's Wife soundtrack became the best-selling gospel album in history.

On February 11, 2012, Houston was found dead in her guest room at the Beverly Hilton hotel, California. The official coroner's report showed that she had accidentally drowned in the bathtub, with heart disease and cocaine use listed as contributing factors.

Here’s one of her best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JWTaaS7LdU

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:11 am 

Lady Gaga, is US singer, songwriter and actress. She performed initially in theatres, appearing in school plays, and studied at New York University's Tisch School of the Arts before dropping out to pursue a musical career. After leaving a rock band, participating in the Lower East Side’s avant garde performing arts circuit, she was dropped from a contract with Def Jam Recordings. She then worked as a songwriter for Sony/ATV Music Publishing. There, recording artist, Akon, noticed her vocal abilities and helped her to sign a joint deal with Interscope Records and his own KonLive Distribution.

Her debut album The Fame (2008) was a critical and commercial success that produced global chart-topping singles such as "Just Dance" and "Poker Face". A follow-up EP, The Fame Monster (2009), was met with a similar reception and "Bad Romance", "Telephone", and "Alejandro" became successful singles. Her 2nd album, Born This Way, was released in 2011, topping the charts in more than 20 countries, including the US, where it sold over one million in its 1st week alone. The album produced the #1 single "Born This Way". Her 3rd album Artpop, released in 2013, topped the US charts and included the successful single "Applause". In 2014, Gaga released a collaborative jazz album with Tony Bennett titled Cheek to Cheek, which became her 3rd consecutive #1 in the US. For her work in the television series American Horror Story: Hotel, Gaga won a Golden Globe Award in 2016.

With global album and single sales of 27 million and 146 million respectively, as of January 2016, she is one of the best-selling musicians of all time. Her achievements include 12 Guinness World Records, 3 Brit Awards and 6 Grammy Awards. She is noted for her philanthropic endeavours and social activism, including LGBT rights, HIV/AIDS prevention and the Born This Way Foundation.

Here’s one of her best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bESGLojNYSo

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:19 am 

U2 are a Dublin rock band who formed in 1976. The band consists of Bono (lead vocals and rhythm guitar), the Edge (lead guitar, keyboards and backing vocals), Adam Clayton (bass guitar) and Larry Mullen Jr. (drums and percussion). U2's early sound was rooted in post-punk but eventually grew to incorporate many genres. The band are known for their melodic instrumentals. Their lyrics, often embellished with spiritual imagery, focus on personal themes and sociopolitical concerns.

The band formed at Mount Temple Comprehensive School in 1976. Within 4 years, they signed with Island Records and released their debut album Boy. By the mid-80s, U2 had become a top international act. They were more successful at touring than they were at selling records until their 1987 album The Joshua Tree which made them into superstars. In the late 1980s, U2 reinvented themselves with their 1991 album, Achtung Baby. In the accompanying Zoo TV Tour, they integrated dance, industrial and alternative rock into their sound and embraced a more ironic and self-deprecating image. They experimented similarly for the remainder of the 90s with varying degrees of success. U2 regained critical and commercial favour in the 2000s with the records All That You Can't Leave Behind (2000) and How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (2004), which established a more conventional, mainstream sound for the group. Their U2 360° Tour of 2009–2011 is the highest-attended and highest-grossing concert tour in history.

U2 have released 13 studio albums and are one of the world's best-selling artists having sold more than 170 million records worldwide. They have won 22 Grammy Awards, more than any other band.

Throughout their career, as a band and as individuals, they have campaigned for human rights and philanthropic causes, including Amnesty International, the ONE/DATA campaigns, Product Red, War Child and the Edge's Music Rising.

Here's one of their best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmSdTa9kaiQ

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:42 am 

Meat Loaf, is a US singer, songwriter, record producer. He is noted for the Bat Out of Hell trilogy of albums, consisting of Bat Out of Hell, Bat Out of Hell II: Back into Hell, and Bat Out of Hell III: The Monster is Loose. The former has sold more than 43 million copies worldwide. Even today, almost 40 years after its release, it still sells an estimated 200,000 copies annually. It stayed in the charts for over 9 years, making it one of the best selling albums of all time.

He is essentially known for his powerful wide-ranging operatic voice and live performances.
He earned a Grammy Award for the Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance for "I'd Do Anything for Love". Meat Loaf experienced some initial difficulty establishing a career in the US. However, he has retained iconic status and popularity in Europe, especially in the UK where he received the 1994 Brit Award for Best selling album and single.

He is one of the best-selling music artists of all time with sales of more than 80 million. He has also appeared in over 50 movies and television shows, sometimes as himself or as characters resembling his stage persona. His most notable roles include Eddie in the The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975), Robert "Bob" Paulson in David Fincher's Fight Club(1999) and "The Lizzard" in The 51st State (2002). He has also appeared in several television shows such as Monk, Glee, South Park, House, M.D. and Tales from the Crypt as a guest actor.

Here’s one of his best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QGMCSCFoKA

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:29 am 

Bruce Springsteen is a US musician, singer, songwriter, and humanitarian. He is best known for his work with his E Street Band. Nicknamed "The Boss", Springsteen is widely known for his brand of poetic lyrics, Americana, working class and sometimes political sentiments centered on his native New Jersey, his distinctive voice and his lengthy and energetic stage performances, with concerts from the 70s to the present decade running over 3 hours in length.

Springsteen's recordings have included both rock and folk. His most successful studio albums, Born to Run (1975) and Born in the U.S.A. (1984), showcase a talent for finding grandeur in the struggles of daily American life. He has sold more than 64 million albums in the US and more than 120 million worldwide, making him one of the world's best-selling artists of all time. He has earned numerous awards for his work, including 20 Grammy Awards, 2 Golden Globes and an Academy Award.

Here's one of his best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxuThNg ... pSkrqq0NWh

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:02 am 

Carole King is a US composer and singer-songwriter. Her career began in the 60s when she, along with her then husband Gerry Goffin, wrote more than two dozen chart hits for numerous artists, many of which have become standards. She has continued writing for other artists.

King's personal success as a performer did not come until the 70s when she sang her own songs and accompanied herself on the piano in a series of albums and concerts. After experiencing commercial disappointment with her debut album Writer, King scored her breakthrough with the album Tapestry, which topped the US album chart for 15 weeks in 1971 and remained in the charts for more than 6 years.

In 2000, King was voted the most successful female songwriter of 1955–99 because she wrote or co-wrote 118 US hits. She also wrote 61 UK hits. In 2005 music historian Stuart Devoy found her the most successful female songwriter on the UK singles charts 1952–2005.

King has made 25 solo albums, the most successful being Tapestry, which held the record for most weeks at # 1 by a female artist for more than 20 years.

Her records sales are estimated at more than 75 million copies worldwide.

She has won 4 Grammy Awards.

Here’s one of her best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbKE0gJETA0

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:17 pm 

seen the show Beautiful in London recently master class

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:30 am 

Sean Dunne wrote:
seen the show Beautiful in London recently master class

I guess I'll just have to put up with listening to Tapestry. Tien.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:43 am 

Roxy Music were a UK rock band formed in 1971 by Bryan Ferry, who became the group's lead vocalist and chief songwriter and bassist Graham Simpson. The other longtime members were Phil Manzanera (guitar), Andy Mackay (saxophone and oboe) and Paul Thompson (drums and percussion). Other former members include Brian Eno (synthesizer and "treatments"), Eddie Jobson (synthesiser and violin) and John Gustafson (bass). Although the band took a break from group activities in 1976 and again in 1983, they reunited for a concert tour in 2001 and toured together intermittently between that time and their break-up in 2011. Ferry frequently enlisted members of Roxy Music as session musicians for his solo releases.

Roxy Music attained popular and critical success in Europe and Australia during the 70s and early 80s beginning with their debut album, Roxy Music (1972). The band was highly influential as pioneers of the more experimental, musically sophisticated elements of glam and significantly influenced early UK punk music. They also provided a model for many new wave acts and the experimental electronic bands of the early 80s. The group was distinguished by their visual and musical sophistication and their preoccupation with style and glamour. Ferry and co-founding member Eno have also had influential solo careers the latter becoming one of the most significant record producers and collaborators of the late 20th century.

The band's last studio album was 1982's Avalon. In 2005 they began recording a new studio album, which would have been their 9th and would have been their 1st record since 1973 with Brian Eno, who wrote two songs for it and also played keyboards. However, Ferry eventually confirmed that material from these sessions would be released as a Ferry solo album with Eno playing on "a couple of tracks," and that he doesn't think they'll ever record as Roxy Music again. The album ultimately became Ferry's 2010 album Olympia.

Roxy Music played a series of 40th anniversary shows in 2011, but has since become inactive as a performing entity.

Here's one of their best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GMpSxj ... pa-POaILLk

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:17 am 

Robbie Williams is a UK singer, songwriter and actor. He was a member of the pop group Take That from 1990 to 1995 and again from 2009 to 2012. He has also had commercial success as a solo artist.

Williams rose to fame in Take That in the early-to-mid-1990s. After many disagreements with the management and group members, Williams left the group in 1995 to launch a hugely successful solo career, which saw his first 7 albums each reach #1. Williams also released 7 #1 singles and found similar in across Europe.

On 15 July 2010, it was announced he had rejoined Take That. The group's subsequent album became the 2nd fastest-selling album in UK chart history and the fastest-selling record of the century at the time. Gary Barlow has since confirmed that Williams had left the band for a 2nd time, although the departure was amicable and that Williams was welcome to rejoin in the future.

Williams has sold more than 75 million records, making him one of the best-selling artists of all time. He is the best-selling UK solo artist in the UK and the best selling non-Latino artist in Latin America. Six of his albums are among the top 100 biggest-selling albums in the UK and in 2006 he entered the Guinness Book of World Records for selling 1.6 million tickets for his Close Encounters Tour in a single day.

Williams has received a record 17 Brit Awards—winning best UK male 4 times and the Brit Award for Outstanding Contribution to Music.

Here’s one of his best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luwAMFc ... 3QOposDIS3

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:46 am 

I’m not going to post any more tunes for the day since I’m now having to post tunes by bands and individuals that I don’t really like simply because I’m now running out of the bands that I do like. It isn’t that they aren’t any good. I’m sure they are. However, I don’t like some of them and it pains me to have to post them. Therefore, it’s time to move on.

My next thread will, in effect, be a blog and I’ll be commenting on anything topical or of interest to me.

I very much hope that some of you will join in.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10