Bob Lind's Message Board

let's talk about it
Click to return to BobLind.com
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: a list of my music
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:56 am 

Bob (not Lind) suggested, amongst other things, that I should write about my musical tastes so here goes.

I am a Chemistry graduate and so am well acquainted with physiological effects of drugs. Rather than not taking any at all, I stuck to spliffs and, even then, smoked them only on the run up to exams – just to relieve some of the stress. All in all, I must have smoked about half a dozen spliffs in my entire time at Uni. Whenever I did, I used to Play Fleetwood Mac’s Albatross on my Garrard SP 25 Mark III. The Garrard bit the dust long ago but I still play my vinyl copy of Albatross every so often. It stills causes me to chill – no the record. I don’t smoke anymore – including spliffs.

Long before Vangelis and Demis Roussos became household names, they formed a band called Aphrodite’s Child. In one of their songs, Break, the lyrics and melody seem to merge at times. They are the only words that I can use to describe the effect that they achieve. Just in case some of you haven’t heard of Aphrodite’s Child and Break, here’s a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WTNFuF6qiA. For those of you who are hearing it for the first time, I very much hope that you enjoy it as much as I do.

At Uni, I helped run an illegal radio station. I was a DJ on one of the lunch-time slots. My signature tune was Pink Floyd’s One of these Days from their Meddle album. Most of the DJs on the station would only play the intro of their signature tune. Me, I played every single note. To do otherwise would have been a travesty of justice. What a track.

I still run marathons to this day. At the end of each, I threaten to hang up my shoes but never do. You may have heard marathon runners talk of hitting ‘THE WALL’. There’s no escaping it. It isn’t psychological. It’s real alright. It represents the point when the body runs out of the energy in the blood stream and starts to break down fat reserves. At this point the body says: ‘ You are hurting me. Either quit or I’ll hurt you back’. With training, the wall can be delayed until about mile 18. Normally, it kicks in before this point. The more unfit the runner, the earlier it kicks in. After you hit the wall, it’s pain all the way. It doesn’t let up. To get through this, some people resort to music. Some prefer calm music. Me, I prefer the head-banging Silver Machine by Hawkwind. It makes me want to get up and dance each time I hear it. It seems to give me a lift and energy. Before Lemmy, who we tragically lost recently, wrote the song, Annie Nightingale said of Hawkwind, ‘They are so underground, they are positively subterranean.’ The story goes that Hawkwind didn’t appreciate the commercial success that Lemmy brought them and so sacked him. Lemmy left and promptly formed Motorhead and wrote The Ace Of Spades. Lemmy, I and my running owe thee much. RIP my good fellow.

I think that it was sometime in 1980 that I first came across Visage and Fade to Grey. OK the words were hardly ground-breaking and complex but the tune was and more than made up for it. Visage’s music was described as Synth/Pop and was sometimes used in a derogatory manner – especially by hard-core heavy metal fans and purists. My feeling is that just because music isn’t played on a Stratocaster or a hand-made acoustic Gibson, doesn’t make it bad. I don’t care what anyone says, Fade to Grey had depth and interest.

At one time, I really got into the local folk scene and came across Mr Fox. One of their songs, The Gipsy, badly needed cutting back, but it really was a good and interesting song for all that. Few of you will have heard of Mr Fox, let alone The Gipsy. Here’s the link. You’ll see what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTFhg2sU6aA. It's an acquired taste.

It was either 1979 or 1980 when I got the chance to see Police live. I couldn’t believe the sound that the 3-piece band made. Although Walking on the Moon used simple lyrics and a simple tune, when those two were put together, it created something a little bit special.

During my foray into the folk scene, I came across Al Stewart of Year of the Cat fame. His album, Modern Times, is full of real gems. My favourite has to Be Apple Cider Reconstitution. Al Stewart is a supreme singer, musician and songwriter. In fact, I went to a number of his concerts and he’s a damn fine raconteur too.

When I really want to chill, I usually turn to John Barry. Some of his themes just have this habit of pressing the buttons that you’d rather not have pressed, if you catch my drift. That’s what made him the great composer he was. Three themes that spring to mind are those from Dance with Wolves, Out of Africa and the haunting Somewhere in Time.

Comments welcome, as always, and a list of your own wouldn’t go amiss.

Smiles.

Last edited by Mondrian on Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: a list of my music
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:09 pm 

^^ Some of those artists you mention are favourites of mine - others I am not familiar with.

I imagine lots of people familiar with Demis Roussos' love ballads that he recorded during the 1970's would be shocked to learn he was part of a progressive rock band, and a seminal one moreover. As for Vangelis, he is a true pioneer. I have a couple of the Jon & Vangelis albums.

I belong to a progressive orck forum, and I find it interesting how most of the members seem to also like lots of music that seems to have nothing to do with what is normally called "progressive rock". Currently there is a Blues discussion going on. I'm afraid tha's one genre I never warmed to at all.

Last edited by bob_32_116 on Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: a list of my music
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:49 am 

bob_32_116 wrote:
^^ Some of those artists you mention are favourites of mine - others I am not familiar with.

I imagine lots of people familiar with Demis Roussos' love ballads that he recorded during the 1970's would be shocked to learn he was part of a progressive rock band, and a seminal one moreover. As for Vangelis, he is a true pioneer. I have a couple of the Jon & Vangelis albums.

I belong to a progressive orck forum, and I find it interesting how most of the members seem to also like lots of music that seems to have nothing to do with what is normally called "progressive rock". Currently there is a Blues discussionn going on. I'm afraid tha's one genre I never warmed to at all.

Speaking of Jon - I loved Yes. Survival is a brilliant song and probably my Yes favourite. I saw Yes several times.

I'm not into Blues. A friend of mine was in a big way. He was into what he called 'Real Blues' - Lead Belly et al. It doesn't do anything for me but I do like Jazz especially George Melly who was a personality that actually had one. I don't get chance to play it much because 'her indoors', not unlike Johnny, hates jazz and, for that matter, Folk music too, which she calls 'iddly diddly' music. When we want to listen to music, she puts her cans on and I put on mine. That way, we don't disturb each other. Music's about the only thing we disagree on. Completely different tastes. Still, it wouldn't do to agree on all things, would it?