Bob Lind's Message Board

let's talk about it
Click to return to BobLind.com
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: If Bob .....
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:24 am 

Bob (not Lind) suggested that I post more about Bob (Lind) and his music so here goes:

I decided to call this thread "If Bob (Lind) ....." because that's what this thread is about: If Bob ...

It could be serious: For example, if Bob ..... were to write another verse for the most amazing song in the world (Elusive Butterfly) how would it go? We then invite members of the forum to pen another verse.

It could be funny: For example, if Bob ... were a sandwich, what would be between the two slices of bread? We then invite members of the forum to contribute their ideas.

Over to you guys I guess.

Post subject: Re: If Bob .....
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:33 pm 

Hey Mondrian, apparently Bob originally wrote no less than 5 verses for this song. There is a thread about it somewhere - you can probably find it if you search. His producer cut it down to two.

There was some discussion here about whether the more verses the merrier, or whether the song is best as it is (i.e. as originally released). I fall into the latter camp. It's short and sweet, and the two verses say everything that needs to be said. That other Bob (Dylan) was the master at taking 25 verses to say something, but sometimes less is more.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:50 pm 

bob_32_116 wrote:
Hey Mondrian, apparently Bob originally wrote no less than 5 verses for this song. There is a thread about it somewhere - you can probably find it if you search. His producer cut it down to two.

There was some discussion here about whether the more verses the merrier, or whether the song is best as it is (i.e. as originally released). I fall into the latter camp. It's short and sweet, and the two verses say everything that needs to be said. That other Bob (Dylan) was the master at taking 25 verses to say something, but sometimes less is more.

Yo Bob. Yup, am aware of the 5-verse version.

Here it is, in all of its glory, and sung by Bob: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbuC9hX2XAk

My feeling is this: Way back in the 60s, the short version on a single worked. The long version wouldn't have. I gather that those were Bob's thoughts too.

On a LP, the reverse was true. Putting the long 5-verse version would have worked better than the shortened version.

I must admit that there's times when I want to listen to the 2 verse version but, there's also times when I need to listen to all 5 verses. I'm glad that I have both versions.

Just me thoughts.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:12 am 

If Bob were the UK, would he stay in the EU or would he leave?

For my money, I reckon he'd stay.

Europe has already seen two world wars start there - or have we forgotten? The UK is an island and, as such, there is a tendency to be inward-looking. But, we live in a 24/7 global village. Like it or not, it's a fact. The world has also become a more dangerous place of late. Je suis Charlie. Now isn't the right time to become myopic and withdraw from the safety of the EU. Now isn't the right time to become a splinter group of one. The UK is the world's 5th. largest economy. However, it isn't strong enough to declare 'splendid isolation'. China is living proof.

If we remain part of Europe and Sterling is attacked, we may call upon Europe to help defend our currency and they may feel obliged to assist. If we leave, who will defend Sterling then? Not the British Government - it's broke. Not Europe either if we leave the EU. I remember 1992 when George Soros and his Quantum fund battered Sterling. It could easily happen again. In fact, if the UK left the EU, I wouldn't think it a possibility - more of a certainty I would have thought.

Sterling hit a 7-year low this morning. The financial world is talking. We need to listen. The UK is bankrupt. Our borrowings increase on a daily basis to not only pay today's bills but also to service our past debt. We may be a physical island but financially not. We owe the rest of the world too much money.

This is a no-brainer. Why we are even considering leaving is beyond me.

If Bob were the UK, would be stay in the EU?

Hell yes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:19 am 

Je suis Bob. Mais je ne suis pas Bob Lind, so I cannot answer for him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:55 am 

bob_32_116 wrote:
Je suis Bob. Mais je ne suis pas Bob Lind, so I cannot answer for him.

Mois aussi. Mais, je pense que Bob Lind aime beacoup le EU, n'est pas?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:20 pm 
Declaring Lindependence

Sorry for my long neglect of this board. I truly appreciate you loyal fans holding the cyber fort down for me. And Mondrian you have sure done some serious posting while my back was turned. Nice to have you with us. I have been turning all my attention to FaceBook and mostly forget about this board. Not cool, I know. But here I am for now. Love to all of you, Lind

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:29 pm 

Lind wrote:
Sorry for my long neglect of this board. I truly appreciate you loyal fans holding the cyber fort down for me. And Mondrian you have sure done some serious posting wehiler my back was turned. Nice to have you with us. I have been turning all my attention to FaceBook and mostly forget about this board. Not cool, I know. But here I am for now. Love to all of you, Lind

Bob

It's difficult for me to express what Elusive Butterfly meant, and still means, to me. It just struck a chord like no other song, either before, or after. It somehow reflected and encapsulated what the early Sixties was all about. Every man and his dog recorded it. If memory serves, there were several versions in the UK charts at the same time. I'm not sure that this has ever happened before. This says it all.

I haven't been a member of this forum for too long and I may have ruffled a few feathers hither and thither in an attempt to try and breathe some life back into it. However, I saw what a state it was in and felt that I had to do something. I couldn't just stand by idly and let it die a slow death. It deserved better. It's a small repayment for the pleasure that Elusive Butterfly gave me, I know but ...

Kindest regards

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:26 pm 

Mondrian has been posting behind Bob's back while Bob's face was in the book. :)

Mondrian, I think the song "Elusive Butterfly" is what drew most of us to Mr Lind, but do you know or own any others in his catalogue?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:03 am 

bob_32_116 wrote:
Mondrian has been posting behind Bob's back while Bob's face was in the book. :)

Mondrian, I think the song "Elusive Butterfly" is what drew most of us to Mr Lind, but do you know or own any others in his catalogue?

And you think that I'm not "Mr Lind" masquerading as Mondrian because ..... :D

So I waited until "Mr Lind" started to write a book before posting on this forum because .... :?:

Had I posted threads about "Mr Lind" on "Biology-Forums.Com" for example, that could have been construed as going behind "Mr Lind's" back but to post on "Mr Lind's" very own web site ... :?:

Do I own or know of any songs, other than Elusive Butterfly, in his catalogue? Hell Yes. :!: