Bob Lind's Message Board

let's talk about it
Click to return to BobLind.com
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cool Summer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:43 am 

8) I had a couple of your albums Mr. Lind... you were always one of my favorites... due to my (late) musician brother Larry McCabe (instructional book author, mostly for Mel Bay) turning me on to your songs... one of my favorites was, I believe, entitled "Cool Summer." I don't see it listed anywhere to purchase... help! I can't tell you how many shower stalls heard me wailing out Cool Summer over the years, ha! Love ya lind, thanks for your music... it is soooo cool to run into this site... cabe (nortwoodsman on youtube)

Post subject: Re: Cool Summer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:27 am 

The reason you don't see it listed anywhere is probably that it's on the album-that-dares-not-speak-its-name. There also seems to be controversy over the correct title - some have it as "The Summer Was Too Long".

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:07 am 

Thank you. i found it on youtube yeah! now i will search to see if it is available on cd to purchase.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:05 pm 

I just discovered and bought The New Folk Sound Of Terry Callier....which I LOVE and can't believe I never explored til now. Anyway, it has a great version of The Golden Apples Of The Sun on it, so naturally after playing it I had to give The Elusive Bob Lind a spin!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:35 am 

I never heard of Terry Callier.

I guess you are referring to the song whose title appears on the album as "Wandering". Not that I place much faith in Verve to get that detail right. Considering the amount of care that went into the production and packaging of that album (sarcasm icon please) it would not have surprised me if the title had been rendered as Hey Jude or Whole Lotta Love.

Re the song: I know it's not a Lind composition but it sounded as though it could have been. Other possibilities that come to mind are Rod McKuen, Jaques Brel or Fred Neil. I consider it possibly the best track on the album, and certainly one of those that suffers least from the atrocious production. The Times they Are a-Changing, one of Dylan's best songs, is completely butchered.

Last edited by bob_32_116 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:51 am 

'Wandering' is actually a poem by W.B.Yeats titled 'The Song of the Wandering Aengus'.
The full poem can be found on this website ....http://www.bartleby.com/146/9.html

Apart from the Bob Lind compositions on the 'album that cannot be mentioned' Wandering is also one of my favorites.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:23 am 

"The Golden Apples of the Sun" is also the name of a science fiction anthology by Ray Bradbury, as well as being the title of the final story in that volume.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:04 am 
My (second) favorite version of "Golden Apples of the Sun" is by Judy Collins. I'd love to be able to hear Bob's version as it was originally recorded without all that annoying overdubbed instrumentation in the background! Folk rock -- ooooh!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 am 
Hi Bob, how is Cool Summer played on guitar? I have always wanted (having at times tried and failed) to play this and sing-a-long.
Regards,
Dom - a fan from Australia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:33 pm 
Admonkeystrator

Hi, Dom!

You might get a better response on the Facebook... although I can't promise those chords would ever have been written down anywhere.